Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right Dave, and Evan can well afford it as well :) Tesla Ranger service is impressive as well, not many car mfrs offer a service where they come to you to fix the car. Still, it would be nice if they put a price on the annual inspection, assuming you deliver the car to one of their service centers that's less than $600.00

You can get a "prepaid" 4 year plan for $1800, that's still $450/year. Some of the advantages of EV ownership disappear with such a high priced service plan. Many don't spend that much servicing their ICE vehicles.

Read the Tesla blog (with the very fine and easy to use Tapatalk app, may I add) it is clear that many folks think that $600/year everything - everything except only tires - covered warranty is absolutely great. Cars of that price range are more expensive to maintain, apparently.

there was a detailed blog from GB on what is covered and what is not, and pretty much everything is covered except tires and oil changes :)

mitch672 said:
Right Dave, and Evan can well afford it as well :) Tesla Ranger service is impressive as well, not many car mfrs offer a service where they come to you to fix the car. Still, it would be nice if they put a price on the annual inspection, assuming you deliver the car to one of their service centers that's less than $600.00

You can get a "prepaid" 4 year plan for $1800, that's still $450/year. Some of the advantages of EV ownership disappear with such a high priced service plan. Many don't spend that much servicing their ICE vehicles.

LOL! oh well, so much for protecting his identity (like he would care!) and it is a great deal but its also part of the package. its the free charging (which in reality would take YEARS to get more than a few hundred $$ worth) the status and the ability to just take off and drive.

besides, it also addresses brakes and other normally unincluded wear items (guessing brakes will last like Prius and LEAF brakes anyway for most of us)

and as one poster stated, the pricing was also based against maintenance costs against other high end vehicles like Mercedes, Audi, etc.

mkjayakumar said:
Read the Tesla blog (with the very fine and easy to use Tapatalk app, may I add) it is clear that many folks think that $600/year everything - everything except only tires - covered warranty is absolutely great. Cars of that price range are more expensive to maintain, apparently.

there was a detailed blog from GB on what is covered and what is not, and pretty much everything is covered except tires and oil changes :)
I haven't had a chance to go through all the comments, but FWIW, BMW includes "free" maintenance for 4 years/50K miles (http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/owner/bmwultimateservice/default.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). They've been doing this for ages. I only put "free" in quotes since it's really included in the price of the car.

I think it's just marketing hype/an excuse to mention that brake pad replacement is a benefit of that $600/year. Unless their brake pads are crap or their regen barely works, I doubt they'd need replacement often. There are many Prius owners who have gone past 100K+ miles (some even 150K+ miles) on their original brakes, thanks to regen. I'm at 67K miles and past 6.5 years w/plenty of brake left on my Prius.

Here is the explanation of the warranty and service... http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...(incl-GeorgeB)?p=187010&viewfull=1#post187010

http://www.teslamotors.com/service" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You are not required to pay $600 per year or $450/year for 4 years if you do not want to. You will have to come in for a checkup once a year to maintain your warranty, and you have to pay for the time. I cannot find the hourly rate anywhere, but I'll assume it will be $100/hour. What does the extra $350 get you? Remote service all year long, updates to the screens as they become available all year long instead of waiting for you to bring it in. Seems a bit pricy, but we are also talking about a $75,000 car which is also a bit pricy. In the end, it is just a part of ownership on a new car that has a small yet mobile service department. As they grow these costs will come down. So will the price of their cars. It is all part of building a new company.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/driveon/2012/10/03/tesla-model-s-energy-department-loans/1611459/

The above report contains recent production numbers:
In the last week of September, Tesla made about 100 cars. That compares to about 25 cars in the first week of September when production slowed due to supply constraints.

Tesla made 359 cars last quarter.
An report just a few weeks earlier stated only about 130 cars had been delivered to customers, but it looks like that number is going to be rising somewhat faster now.

Very Cool Chart posted by a pending S Owner. Any Prius fans will know who this is

550406_4369207664217_1657782545_n.jpg

only comment on the chart; in most areas the Tesla would cost about $10 to recharge since it would take about 95 Kwh to do it and average rates "can" be about 10 cents/kwh

I really like this chart. I wonder what the operating costs would be if you made a weekly pilgrimage to a supercharger. Free solar energy, I would venture to say you could get this chart to zero. Looks like Tesla has harnessed the power of zero.

HairyCairy said:
I really like this chart. I wonder what the operating costs would be if you made a weekly pilgrimage to a supercharger. Free solar energy, I would venture to say you could get this chart to zero. Looks like Tesla has harnessed the power of zero.

Not quite. SuperChargers are not close to each other, depending on where you live, you might have to use a significant part of that "free" energy getting back home. Plus you used energy & time to get to the SC site... It's really designed for charging on the way TO somewhere, not as free local energy.

mitch672 said:
HairyCairy said:

Not quite. SuperChargers are not close to each other, depending on where you live, you might have to use a significant part of that "free" energy getting back home. Plus you used energy & time to get to the SC site... It's really designed for charging on the way TO somewhere, not as free local energy.

how far apart will they be?

The target will be "around" 150 miles between sites, a.k.a. the approximate distance you can gain from Supercharging your Tesla Model S for 30 minutes on a road trip.

grommet said:
The target will be "around" 150 miles between sites, a.k.a. the approximate distance you can gain from Supercharging your Tesla Model S for 30 minutes on a road trip.
That's too far for the 60kWh cars. Between one hundred and (at most) one hundred twenty-five miles is all they can be spaced for the latter.

Remember that at 70 mph (California rural I-5 speed limit; actual traffic flow is more typically 75-80), the '300+' mile 85 kWh range is only 240 miles (per Tesla) with a new battery. Multiply that by .8 for a quick charge to 80% and you get 192 miles, before making any allowance for wind, temperature, load, climb, degradation or reserve. Note the distance from the QC at the foot of the Grapevine to downtown L.A. is only about 83 miles.

Tesla wants to sell 85 kWh cars, GRA. (That's all they are shipping right now.) Anyway, that's their approximate distance target for now... but yes, some may be closer.

They'll adjust their infrastructure growth as they learn more about their customer's use cases.

Those cheap bastard 60 kWh owners may need to put their hypermiling hats on for some road trips, assuming they pony up the $2K extra for Supercharger access at purchase. I know it's "fun", but full highway speed or above is a huge waste of energy. Sorry about that. ;)

I wouldn't exactly call customers buying a $70K+ 60KW Model S "cheap bastards", but clearly the message is "you have to pay to play", the SC network will initially be optimized for the 85KW cars, that's the initial 100 SC sites nationwide, eventually they will "fill" in other spots.

Initially at least the 40 & 60 KW models will be used more locally... You can get the 2nd optional 10KW charger, if you find a 70 or 75 amp J-1772 EVSE, you can charge at about 62MPH/per hour of charge time, so 2.5 hours for what the SC can accomplish in 30 minutes.

2 out of 3 times means the BMW is not electronically limited like the Tesla. S/W tweaking can easity change that.

besides, after 2 blocks, there is nothing more to say!

Back