Thekuai
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:11 pm
Delivery Date: 13 Nov 2018

Re: Speedometer calibration ?

Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:30 pm

When my speedo reads 63 mph I am going 60mph. If I'm reading these posts correctly, I have to change it to -2.5%?

rogersleaf
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 7:50 pm
Delivery Date: 22 Mar 2019
Leaf Number: 307726
Location: Kent, Ohio

Re: Speedometer calibration ?

Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:31 am

Thekuai wrote:When my speedo reads 63 mph I am going 60mph. If I'm reading these posts correctly, I have to change it to -2.5%?
No, will be off by 5%.
2014 SV - Brilliant Silver - returned 1/2017 at end of lease.
2019 SL - White - w/Tech Package

Thekuai
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:11 pm
Delivery Date: 13 Nov 2018

Re: Speedometer calibration ?

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:53 pm

rogersleaf wrote:
Thekuai wrote:When my speedo reads 63 mph I am going 60mph. If I'm reading these posts correctly, I have to change it to -2.5%?
No, will be off by 5%.
I meant on the special calibration page where the max adjustment is + or - 2.5%

rogersleaf
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 7:50 pm
Delivery Date: 22 Mar 2019
Leaf Number: 307726
Location: Kent, Ohio

Re: Speedometer calibration ?

Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:06 am

Thekuai wrote:
rogersleaf wrote:
Thekuai wrote:When my speedo reads 63 mph I am going 60mph. If I'm reading these posts correctly, I have to change it to -2.5%?
No, will be off by 5%.
I meant on the special calibration page where the max adjustment is + or - 2.5%
My experience with that adjustment screen is it did absolutely nothing. Speedo & odometer we’re off the same 5% after changing the settings.
2014 SV - Brilliant Silver - returned 1/2017 at end of lease.
2019 SL - White - w/Tech Package

powersurge
Posts: 1743
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:24 am
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Speedometer calibration ?

Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:59 am

As I always say with instruments... People should stop expecting all dials and meters to show exact numbers!!!!

Even If You are using a voltage meter, or digital thermometer, there will be some variability..

2.5% or even 5% of speed difference is nothing.. Worry about more important things... And I say this with love in my heart.....

rogersleaf
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 7:50 pm
Delivery Date: 22 Mar 2019
Leaf Number: 307726
Location: Kent, Ohio

Re: Speedometer calibration ?

Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:01 am

powersurge wrote: 2.5% or even 5% of speed difference is nothing.. Worry about more important things... And I say this with love in my heart.....
In most cases I would agree. However, this was a leased vehicle that I was being charged based off of the inaccurate odometer calibration (which was set to NMAC’s favor by 5%). I’m no lawyer, but think this is called fraud.
2014 SV - Brilliant Silver - returned 1/2017 at end of lease.
2019 SL - White - w/Tech Package

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Posts: 2599
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:47 pm
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Speedometer calibration ?

Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:16 pm

The menu adjustment +/- 2.5% was enough to calibrate my 2011 to within 1 mi/hr. I tried to use the menu adjustment on my 2015 when I first purchased it, but the car automatically returned the setting to zero after driving a while. I eventually found that the speedometer was within 1 mi/hr of a fast-response GPS with the original tires inflated to 44 psi. I noticed no change with the first set of replacement tires. I recently purchased new tires one size larger so I planned to use the menu adjustment to compensate. Again, the menu adjustment returned to zero after driving. I then discovered that the speedometer was still within 1 mi/hr (fast-response GPS generally indicated 1 mi/hr higher than speedometer). I eventually concluded that the navigation system GPS must send a calibration signal to the speedometer periodically (it also sends the clock signal to the eyebrow display so the clock never needs to be set). It does not calibrate the odometer so it now reads about 3.5% lower than actual distance diriven.

Edited to add: I don't know when the change was made, but the clock in the 2011 required periodic resetting and the +/- 2.5% adjustment in the menu was effective. The 2015 seems to set the clock and calibrate the speedometer automatically from the navigation system GPS.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015; traded 8/10/2019 at 82,436 miles
White LEAF 2019 SL Plus purchased 8/10/2019

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Posts: 2599
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:47 pm
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Speedometer calibration ?

Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:54 pm

GerryAZ wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:16 pm
The menu adjustment +/- 2.5% was enough to calibrate my 2011 to within 1 mi/hr. I tried to use the menu adjustment on my 2015 when I first purchased it, but the car automatically returned the setting to zero after driving a while. I eventually found that the speedometer was within 1 mi/hr of a fast-response GPS with the original tires inflated to 44 psi. I noticed no change with the first set of replacement tires. I recently purchased new tires one size larger so I planned to use the menu adjustment to compensate. Again, the menu adjustment returned to zero after driving. I then discovered that the speedometer was still within 1 mi/hr (fast-response GPS generally indicated 1 mi/hr higher than speedometer). I eventually concluded that the navigation system GPS must send a calibration signal to the speedometer periodically (it also sends the clock signal to the eyebrow display so the clock never needs to be set). It does not calibrate the odometer so it now reads about 3.5% lower than actual distance diriven.

Edited to add: I don't know when the change was made, but the clock in the 2011 required periodic resetting and the +/- 2.5% adjustment in the menu was effective. The 2015 seems to set the clock and calibrate the speedometer automatically from the navigation system GPS.
I have driven the 2019 enough to confirm its speedometer (both analog and digital displays) is also accurate vs. my GPS regardless of tire pressures in the range of 36 to 44 psi. Therefore, it appears the GPS in the navigation system is providing signals to set the clock and calibrate the speedometer like the 2015 did. The odometer registers between 2% and 3% fewer miles than actually driven with OEM tires inflated to 44 psi so I will get a few extra miles of warranty coverage.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015; traded 8/10/2019 at 82,436 miles
White LEAF 2019 SL Plus purchased 8/10/2019

Hegain
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:09 pm
Delivery Date: 27 Dec 2016
Leaf Number: 300024

Re: Speedometer calibration ?

Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:36 pm

rogersleaf wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:01 am
powersurge wrote: 2.5% or even 5% of speed difference is nothing.. Worry about more important things... And I say this with love in my heart.....
In most cases I would agree. However, this was a leased vehicle that I was being charged based off of the inaccurate odometer calibration (which was set to NMAC’s favor by 5%). I’m no lawyer, but think this is called fraud.
I agree. Too many of us are having this problem. There must be a way to get this corrected.

Hegain
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:09 pm
Delivery Date: 27 Dec 2016
Leaf Number: 300024

Re: Speedometer calibration ?

Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:58 pm

My 2016 S speedometer displays 65mph while GPS showing 60mph.

I have taken my 2016_S to two different dealers and one said they tested and agreed that it was off by 3mph. The other said it was the abs actuator and is not adjustable. The General manager drove me in his care to check my GPS and his GPS to his Rogue. Both GPS's were exact with the Rogue speedometer.

Too many of use are having this problem with our Leafs (my other cars are accurate). We should stop trying to re-engineer or making complex theories or equations about why. The "Why" is why is Nissan turning a blind eye to us. The "What" is Nissan Leaf speedometer is flawed. The "How" is how do we get Nissan to fix the problem.

Unlike Gas cars, our range is super important since we cannot stop on any given corner for a charge.

Your thoughts?

Return to “Engineering”