2019 "60 kWh" Leaf e-Plus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DougWantsALeaf said:
I do have Leafspy, but didn’t have it with me when I charged.

The machine was BTC Power
Model EDVSP 350 5 120 0 2 C 4 0
Output 200-950 VDC. 350 AMP max

Anyone know of a Chademo attached to a 350kW charger?

If the Chademo is with a 150 CCS, you can generally get well above 50KW.

If the CCS is listed at 50, the Chademo will cap at 45 or so.

I need to try charging when the car is at 5 or 6 % on Leafspy to see whether 80+ is doable.

I wish EA showed you the colts and amps like EvGO.

Yeah, I never QC w/o LEAF Spy running. I have never seen a chademo paired with anything but a 150 KW CCS. 350 KW wouldn't help you anyway, its 800 volts. Your charging average over the entire session was 66.3 KW

One cool thing about the charge today was that there was a bolt charging. We compared range stories and they were pretty much identical in terms of range at different temps.

Then another ev driver walked up asking about the Chademo as he said his car had one. I said I assume you have a Leaf, and he responded no, his was the Fiat EV. I didn’t know they used Chademo as well.

The best thing was that this was my first time at an EA stations with multiple other drivers charging.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Then another ev driver walked up asking about the Chademo as he said his car had one. I said I assume you have a Leaf, and he responded no, his was the Fiat EV. I didn’t know they used Chademo as well.
Fiat has never released any vehicle in the US w/DC FCing capability. The guy is mistaken or he has some aftermarket add-on that I'm not aware of.

Tony Williams said his company would provide one in late 2019 in a comment at https://pushevs.com/2018/01/10/fiat-500e-improved-scuderia-e/ but I don't see any yet at https://shop.quickchargepower.com/Charging-Equipment_c13.htm.

DougWantsALeaf said:
One cool thing about the charge today was that there was a bolt charging. We compared range stories and they were pretty much identical in terms of range at different temps.

The best thing was that this was my first time at an EA stations with multiple other drivers charging.

Umm, EVers not knowing how to DC is quite common. I have directed many LEAFers to the correct EA station. Although I have only charged on EA twice, I go by there all the time taking note of who is there.

DougWantsALeaf said:

In the blog I posted, there was a Bolt charging 30 miles from me at 22 KW on a cold morning. As soon as I heard about it, I went to my local EA location to charge and even with pack in 40's, still got full speed. I am sure my station won't go faster than 200 amps but your experience makes me want to try. Might need to have a warmer pack first? You charged away from home so your pack would likely have been warmer. I tried to preheat my pack on my first EA attempts but only made it to the mid 60's (I used the EXACT same process that would put my 40 kwh pack into the mid 80's) which is less than optimal (based on 40 kwh experience) but since its not part of NCTC or the EVGO promo, I will likely wait till Summer for another attempt.

But yesterday, it was 52º and I happened past the EA and there was a Bolt charging so had to check it out and they had been charging 10 mins and were only at 39 KW @ 40% SOC. In Summer, they would likely be at 53-54 KW at that SOC so even mild weather is slowing them down.

Dave

At the same charger when I started at a pack temp of 90F in summer my peak charging was 73KW. Both times I started at about 11% on the GOM (19-20% LS equivalent). This time my guess is that my pack temp was about 55F as I had been driving at low speeds for an hour (daughter has her permit as of yesterday) and hit almost 66kW. Battery did heat from (what I was guessing) as high 4 bars to just touch 6 bars. Without LS I only have approximates.

I think starting with 1% on the GOM could touch 80 as I have ready the first 10% charge is a bit easier that’s the 20-30% where I was still getting mid 70s.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Dave

At the same charger when I started at a pack temp of 90F in summer my peak charging was 73KW. Both times I started at about 11% on the GOM (19-20% LS equivalent). This time my guess is that my pack temp was about 55F as I had been driving at low speeds for an hour (daughter has her permit as of yesterday) and hit almost 66kW. Battery did heat from (what I was guessing) as high 4 bars to just touch 6 bars. Without LS I only have approximates.

I think starting with 1% on the GOM could touch 80 as I have ready the first 10% charge is a bit easier that’s the 20-30% where I was still getting mid 70s.

I don't know if we will see anything faster from a "50 kw" machine. EA pricing changes to tier two at 76 KW so thinking 73-74 kw is best we will see. At 200 amps on 400 volt system, that is 80 KW but as we all know, you won't see that.

I will next time I fast charge.

Hey, anyone have an issue where their crash avoidance system goes offline and the little yellow car crashing logo starts flashing? It’s happened a couple times now in colder weather.

DougWantsALeaf said:

Hey, anyone have an issue where their crash avoidance system goes offline and the little yellow car crashing logo starts flashing? It’s happened a couple times now in colder weather.

Yes. I first got it after driving over pulverized pavement last Fall, then got it a few times last Winter, but not since then, AFAIK.

LeftieBiker said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

Yes. I first got it after driving over pulverized pavement last Fall, then got it a few times last Winter, but not since then, AFAIK.

Appears to be a rather common issue so guessing its partially rain, fog, and frost causing the issue since one or more of the 3 seems to be the common element. Despite living in an area famous (Olympia is THE foggiest city in the US, BTW) for 2 of the 3, I don't recall ever having it tell me it wasn't working but then again, it has never braked the car either. I do get the warning beeps especially when approaching roundabout in heavy traffic but that is all.

Not common in the S model, which has none of the electronic oversight! Maybe we were just being cheap, but it seemed not to make sense to spend extra for these types of gizmos, something we may or may not regret. One anomaly we did notice: I would occasionally get the "Take a Break" notice on our '15 Leaf, my wife never did......

So about two weeks to the end of the year...and still no official “release” of the 2020. I would think this points to absolutely no changes. Still think it’s weird. There are lots of 2020 Nissan’s of other models on our dealers lot. Our salesman is a Leaf fan and follower and he hasn’t heard a thing either. Hmmmm

DougWantsALeaf said:
https://storage.googleapis.com/geotab-sandbox/ev-battery-degradation/index.html

If you compare the 2017 Leaf to the 2016 and 2017 Tesla S, pretty comparable degradation.
Average degradation covers a lot of ground. We know that the Leaf does much better in cooler climates. That covers most of Europe and Japan. Leafs in Canada and the Pacific Northwest do well also. Are those stats masking a problem with warmer areas of the South and Southwest? I'd like to see a breakdown by region.

johnlocke said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
https://storage.googleapis.com/geotab-sandbox/ev-battery-degradation/index.html

If you compare the 2017 Leaf to the 2016 and 2017 Tesla S, pretty comparable degradation.
Average degradation covers a lot of ground. We know that the Leaf does much better in cooler climates. That covers most of Europe and Japan. Leafs in Canada and the Pacific Northwest do well also. Are those stats masking a problem with warmer areas of the South and Southwest? I'd like to see a breakdown by region.

From what I've seen it appears to me that hotter climates produce much more capacity loss in the 30kwh packs - not unlike the original "Canary" packs, just less extreme.

Here is a Leaf Spy of the charge.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OAtxiz98FHlTXZwldM_u7sVt-kH2EhSZ/view?usp=drivesdk

Peak of 74.8 kW this time. 35 min from 9% to 71% on dash or 16.8 LS to 71.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Here is a Leaf Spy of the charge.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OAtxiz98FHlTXZwldM_u7sVt-kH2EhSZ/view?usp=drivesdk

Peak of 74.8 kW this time. 35 min from 9% to 71% on dash or 16.8 LS to 71.

That...is a perfect length lunch break. The problem with our 30KWH 2016 is it’s always pretty much full at around 20 - 25 min. Too quick for lunch. Kind of a timing game. :).

Now I did get 36.2 KIlowatts in that time. Or 0-125% or so of a 30 Leaf. Sweet spot seems to be about a 15-20 minute charge from near the bottom where you can pull 1.4-1.5 Kilowatts a minute.

Back