Official EV Project / Ecotality / free charger thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some feedback after two days.

1) the connector itself is harder to place into the LEAF than the one we had on the CC unit.

2) the cable is thinner and lighter than the CC unit. 18 feet of cable for those wondering.

3) The EVSE itself is much prettier than the CC EVSE (industrial grade looking thing).

4) the LCD needs to be able to be turned off (screen saver). I am not thrilled with a computer screen that can be seen by pedestrians walking down the street.

5) lots of functionality missing from the User Manual. A lot of features are still in the works apparently.

Data - Ecotality is trying to get it connected to their servers. Not connected yet. I'm working with them on it. Once I get any sort of look at the data, I'll share.

syntaxerror said:
I heard standby is at 30W. Is that correct?

your asking what the draw of the unit is while not attached to my car? hmm. If so, I don't have a easy way to measure that. I have a kill-a-watt at work but that is for use on a 120v line. It doesn't show anything about the draw or sessions or anything other than start/end times for a session on it yet. Still waiting on Ecotality to get it "activated".

SeattleBlueLeaf said:
syntaxerror said:
I heard standby is at 30W. Is that correct?

your asking what the draw of the unit is while not attached to my car? hmm. If so, I don't have a easy way to measure that. I have a kill-a-watt at work but that is for use on a 120v line. It doesn't show anything about the draw or sessions or anything other than start/end times for a session on it yet. Still waiting on Ecotality to get it "activated".
My TED5000 device measures the standby draw at about 11-13 W, charging at 3690-3725W.
Standby power is still too high as far as I'm concerned. Over a year's time that represents about three weeks of driving for me.
I think the 120V outlet requirement will be to allow a power-line type of internet box. The wireless can be a hassle, as it was at my house. And the user web page is non-existent so far.
They're still working out some SW bugs so I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt that all will eventually work smoothly. I hope so.
The first version cut out every hour or so during a charge cycle (relays would trip and then re-connect). The latest firmware version seems more stable but there's still some "Error-6" screens popping up occasionally. A longer cable would be good. I'm glad I moved the designated location to be closer to the driveway so it can charge the LEAF in the garage and driveway. Mine can really only reach the LEAF if it's parked with the nose 10-11 feet away. Otherwise the cable is hanging in the air. Ok once in awhile but not for every night.

Hmmm. I wonder why I wasn't offered one of these EV Chargers? I never even saw it on the Leaf site. I took delivery of mine last week. Had to pony up over $3500 for the Nissan "charger". Any thoughts? Thanks Jim

JDRogers said:
Hmmm. I wonder why I wasn't offered one of these EV Chargers? I never even saw it on the Leaf site. I took delivery of mine last week. Had to pony up over $3500 for the Nissan "charger". Any thoughts? Thanks Jim
Hey Jim, it depends on a variety of factors, but (if you lived in an EV Project area) most people I know where offered to take an EV Project survey after placing the deposit for the LEAF.

If it makes you feel better, you probably would have ended up paying something to have the Blink installed... They only allocated about $1,000 for installation plus the unit, so you probably would have had to pay about $1,800 anyhow...

If you can't get in the project after the fact, check back in 3 years and there will probably be used units available... :D

Hi, I live in Granite Bay CA, near Roseville (which is near Sacramento).
JDRogers said:

JDRogers said:
Hi, I live in Granite Bay CA, near Roseville (which is near Sacramento).
JDRogers said:
For California, the participating areas are San Diego, Los Angeles, and, recently, the Bay Area.

I just received my Residential Participation Agreement via email today. I read it a couple of times and nowhere do I see a clause that would require the participant to refund any of the installation cost should he have to discontinue his participation in the project. Did I miss it or would they just remove the charger and call it good?

HIOJim said:
I just received my Residential Participation Agreement via email today. I read it a couple of times and nowhere do I see a clause that would require the participant to refund any of the installation cost should he have to discontinue his participation in the project. Did I miss it or would they just remove the charger and call it good?
When I read the agreement, I came up with that same conjecture.

As many Leaf deliveries are now pending, I want to pose this question in the EVP thread. When are the public EV Project EVSEs going to be installed and up and running?

Here in San Diego the EV Project has promised 1,650 public L2 EVSEs. The original date was June, but I heard it slipped to September. This is a extremely tall order to pull of 1,650 installations in 6 months.

Did they make these similar promises in other markets (i.e. AZ? WA?)? Does anyone have any info if they'll make it?

Does anyone have a zip code list for the EV project areas I assume that's how they determine if you are eligible. I ask because I am wondering if Aptos, CA falls under "bay area." 95003 zip.

-Nader

From their website: "The Bay Area Air Quality Management District is the public agency entrusted with regulating stationary sources of air pollution in the nine counties that surround San Francisco Bay: Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, southwestern Solano, and southern Sonoma counties."

I assume these are the counties eligible for the EV Project, so Santa Cruz county is not included.

syntaxerror said:
As many Leaf deliveries are now pending, I want to pose this question in the EVP thread. When are the public EV Project EVSEs going to be installed and up and running?

Here in San Diego the EV Project has promised 1,650 public L2 EVSEs. The original date was June, but I heard it slipped to September. This is a extremely tall order to pull of 1,650 installations in 6 months.

Did they make these similar promises in other markets (i.e. AZ? WA?)? Does anyone have any info if they'll make it?
Well the EV Project has been going for about a year and a half and Ecotality has roughly 50 residential installations to show for it. Zero, zip, nada public infrastructure. They are subcontracting everything out so they should be able to scale, especially in this economy. I can't get anyone to confirm if they have even been pulling permits for public infrastructure.

I just received the call from the electrical contractor to install my Blink which we scheduled for March 28th.
My LEAF delivery date has bumped around a bit but stands at Week of April 12th, for the moment.
It's a good day today.... ;)

4/20 reserved - 9/2 ordered - 3/11 carwings - 3-28 EVProj blink - LEAF 4-12 ???

Carlos said:
I just received the call from the electrical contractor to install my Blink which we scheduled for March 28th.
My LEAF delivery date has bumped around a bit but stands at Week of April 12th, for the moment...

Lucky that things are coming in the correct order. It looks like I'll have my Leaf within a week, but have not had any contact yet with the Blink Network's electrical contractor. So I'm expecting to be on L1 charging for a while.

DeaneG said:
Lucky that things are coming in the correct order. It looks like I'll have my Leaf within a week, but have not had any contact yet with the Blink Network's electrical contractor. So I'm expecting to be on L1 charging for a while.

Did you get an email 7 days prior to delivery, as I keep hearing? I am also waiting for both the LEAF and Blink install. Have not heard from an electrical contractor either, but my delivery date is now about mid April.

Back