Official EV Project / Ecotality / free charger thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GroundLoop said:
ENIAC said:
Have any EV Project public EVSEs been installed anywhere? I looked at the map on the EV Project web site and checked out two locations which, according to the map, were indicted to have EV Project EVSEs installed. When I went to those locations there were none to be found. What's the real story here?

EV Project has not installed or even announced the specific location of Public EVSE #1.
They do print a lot of press releases, though. Lots of partnerships, lots of "potential locations".

I'm starting to wonder if anyone is actually going to get a free EV Project charge before they go Pay in May.
Their maps list numerous locations which they claim are existing EVSEs and they have the EV Project logo. It seems like the EV Project has been going for some time with nothing to show for it. If they were only installing one or two Level 2 EVSEs per week they would have something to show for their efforts. But a giant goose egg after all this time???

ENIAC said:
It seems like the EV Project has been going for some time with nothing to show for it. If they were only installing one or two Level 2 EVSEs per week they would have something to show for their efforts. But a giant goose egg after all this time???

The handful of L2's and one L3 that exist today seem to have been installed outside of the EV Project. It may still be that when they finally get rolling that they will roll out the EVSE's at a rapid pace. But if not... Even though I expect to charge at home 99% of the time, if there is no public infrastructure then the Leaf becomes essentially a car tethered to my garage by a 50 mile extension cord, and that's radically different value proposition. I do expect they know that, and don't want EV to fail, and EVSE's will finally be deployed...

walterbays said:
ENIAC said:
It seems like the EV Project has been going for some time with nothing to show for it. If they were only installing one or two Level 2 EVSEs per week they would have something to show for their efforts. But a giant goose egg after all this time???

The handful of L2's and one L3 that exist today seem to have been installed outside of the EV Project. It may still be that when they finally get rolling that they will roll out the EVSE's at a rapid pace. But if not... Even though I expect to charge at home 99% of the time, if there is no public infrastructure then the Leaf becomes essentially a car tethered to my garage by a 50 mile extension cord, and that's radically different value proposition. I do expect they know that, and don't want EV to fail, and EVSE's will finally be deployed...
The only L2's I'm aware of are at Nissan dealerships. I wasn't aware of any L3's in SD.

ENIAC said:
The only L2's I'm aware of are at Nissan dealerships. I wasn't aware of any L3's in SD.

I meant statewide. Besides Nissan, there are L2's at LAX airport, and I think at South Coast Plaza. There's an L3 at Vacaville, not open to the public yet. (All "found" from postings on this forum.)

But if Cracker Barrel restaurants are putting in L3 charging at their own expense, how hard can it be for the EV Project to put in the fully funded L2 and L3 charging stations.

One thing I wonder about EV Project plans for public charging. They are planning locations based on where people live who they expect to buy EVs - good. They figure people who own a Prius are likely to buy an EV - good. But news reports say therefore they're looking at the I-5 / SR-56 intersection as a key area. Not that I mind having public chargers in the area around my home, but when I get home I'll be charging in my garage, and I guess this will be true of most others too. When I'll want the public charging is when I'm away from my home, especially when I'm more than 50 miles away from home. So I-5 / SR-56 is still a good location, but for people driving down from Carlsbad, San Marcos, Los Angeles, up from Chula Vista, over from Poway and Escondido, etc.

I received a call today and my Blink EVSE is being installed (swapping out my existing Clipper Creek unit) Tuesday morning, 2/8. I will take/post photos afterwards.

ENIAC said:
Their maps list numerous locations which they claim are existing EVSEs and they have the EV Project logo. It seems like the EV Project has been going for some time with nothing to show for it. If they were only installing one or two Level 2 EVSEs per week they would have something to show for their efforts. But a giant goose egg after all this time???
I see the map you're talking about, and it's a bit disingenuous for them to be putting an "EV Project" logo on old chargers they didn't install, upgrade, or maintain. One is a Coulomb Chargepoint that has been removed, and others are defunct inductive chargers.

It's old map data, and they're somehow using it to show they're making progress.

In truth, they haven't installed a single public charger. If only you could charge a Leaf off press releases, we'd be all set. :)

Skywagon said:
I received a call today and my Blink EVSE is being installed (swapping out my existing Clipper Creek unit) Tuesday morning, 2/8. I will take/post photos afterwards.

Cool, I'm guessing I should be getting a call soon too.

ENIAC said:
Ecotality got their chargers UL listed only recently. Recently there was a PR about using CISCO for networking. They have done a lot of ground work - we should see lots of chargers installed in the next 6 months (public charger installation takes a lot of time because of approvals and also contracts that need to be signed with private properties).

evnow said:
They have done a lot of ground work - we should see lots of chargers installed in the next 6 months (public charger installation takes a lot of time because of approvals and also contracts that need to be signed with private properties).

I hope. Indeed actually installing the EVSE probably takes just a day, versus months of paperwork for permits from city and other regulatory authorities, planning district approvals, agreements with business owners and building owners, agreements on lease modifications, agreements with utilities on rates, approval from regulators on revenue plans, insurance, etc. And I can see why they'd list all those old paddle type locations on their maps, if those are the ones where they've been working on all that paperwork. When the final approval is complete, then the simple matter of changing out the EVSE box and hooking up the wires might be the work of hours.

But it's still unsettling that the EV Project supposedly began building the public infrastructure in summer 2010, with a planned completion date of summer 2011, and here we are in February without a single EV Project charging location. It is the charging infrastructure that makes Leaf a practical replacement for an ICE for the majority of drivers.

This makes me think that the extra benefits flowing the way of the true early adopters, the 4/20 bunch who are getting their cars now, are well deserved. Like, if a 4/20 driver receives the last $5K California rebate and there's none left for me, I'll be disappointed but think it's fair. We are all making a significant financial commitment, as is Nissan, and the US government, and GM, towards energy independence and environmental improvement. If the government, through the EV Project, reneges on its commitment then the public charging infrastructure may not be built. In that case Nissan could forget about building the Smyrna plant because they'd never sell more than the production capacity of the Oppama plant. Failure of the public infrastructure would turn Leaf into just a neighborhood electric vehicle, unable to safely venture more than 40 miles from home - for which it's very overpriced at $35K.

The early adopters get to take delivery now, and I envy them for it. But they also have to take delivery and pay for it now, before they know for sure whether EV Project will deliver on its promises. That's a significant risk for which they deserve some rewards, tangible and intangible.

evnow said:
ENIAC said:
Ecotality got their chargers UL listed only recently. Recently there was a PR about using CISCO for networking. They have done a lot of ground work - we should see lots of chargers installed in the next 6 months (public charger installation takes a lot of time because of approvals and also contracts that need to be signed with private properties).
Agreed, however they should be working concurrently. They should have had contractors putting in circuits and stubbing everything out ahead of time. Once their EVSE is good to go, then a few hours installation would all that would be necessary. As it is, they are starting from scratch, save for replacing a handful of those old paddle chargers.

We need to be patient. Ecotality is blazing a new trail. As someone else said, the installation is the easiest part. The approval process can be very difficult given all the approvals necessary. I recall the difficulties and delays that Jimmdreams had to go through to get approval for his home installation. Everything needs to fall into place, infrastructure, Ca. rebates so people can afford to be an early adopter, and above all the delivery of a significant number of Leafs.

stanley said:
We need to be patient. Ecotality is blazing a new trail. As someone else said, the installation is the easiest part. The approval process can be very difficult given all the approvals necessary.
So is the approval process what is actually causing the EV Project delays or is that your conjecture? I know Oceanside can be very difficult with approvals however, on the other hand, Escondido is a rubber stamp. I see no deployment in Escondido either.

Eniac, i do not know why the delay in installation of the infrastructure. I am speculating. You are correct that Escondido approval is readily attainable. Escondido understands that installing the charger is not much different than installing a clothes dryer line. Not every community is as capable as Escondido. My speculation is based on the fact that locally Ecotality chose Baker electric of Escondido to do about half of the San Diego installations. Baker has over 200 electricians and because of this should not be overwelmed by the volume that Ecotality is facing. However, there are a multitude of public approval points for Baker to work with before their electricians can do their instalations.

My completely uneducated guess is that once the pieces fall together, we'll see a LOT of EVP chargers going in and on-line quickly in each area. It makes sense that the EVP people are tied up with paperwork and permits, etc. If they are having problems there, why on EARTH would you add to it by starting installs piece-meal around the area adding more headaches?

Deal with the paperwork first, once it's done, you can begin mass installations and deal with THOSE headaches when/if they come.

They have limited resources and limited personnel. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt based on the amount of effort they put out simply for my EVSE, a private one at that!

Skywagon said:
Please ask them what they are planning to do with all the temporary ClipperCreek units.

stanley said:
Eniac, i do not know why the delay in installation of the infrastructure. I am speculating. You are correct that Escondido approval is readily attainable. Escondido understands that installing the charger is not much different than installing a clothes dryer line. Not every community is as capable as Escondido. My speculation is based on the fact that locally Ecotality chose Baker electric of Escondido to do about half of the San Diego installations. Baker has over 200 electricians and because of this should not be overwelmed by the volume that Ecotality is facing. However, there are a multitude of public approval points for Baker to work with before their electricians can do their instalations.
The EV Project appears to be keeping pace with in home installations and this is due to the professionals at Baker. It's the public charging network I'm concerned about. At this point the only EV charging networking in SD are the six Mossy Nissan and one Pacific Nissan dealerships, that's it. Sounds like you and JimmyD are willing to give ECOtailty a pass for now. If this situation continues, at what point will you be concerned?

I doubt it's approvals. I own a commercial location in the Kearny Mesa area of San Diego which I have submitted to Eco quite some time ago. We have plenty of power ( > 2000 amps@ 480v) to readily support a charger.

So far no contact by Eco whatsoever. FYI

-A

ENIAC said:
Sounds like you and JimmyD are willing to give ECOtailty a pass for now. If this situation continues, at what point will you be concerned?

Well, my concern wouldn't be the same as others I don't think. My concern would not be that chargers wouldn't show up....it would be that the gov't money was wasted and that public chargers were delayed while waiting for (what I feel is) the inevitable public convenience charging stations.

I feel the charging stations will appear as a natural extension of business. I would be concerned that the appearance of these charging stations and the upswing in EV usage would be delayed if EVP didn't deliver. EVP is in a position to jump start the process....something that is very beneficial to all. If EVP fails to deliver, EVs will remain a niche vehicle much longer than it needs to be.

As more and more plug-in vehicles hit the roads, businesses will naturally gravitate toward charging stations as an extension of offering free parking, etc. After all, if you can't GET there, you can't SHOP there. It'll happen....EVP can speed up the process.

I think EVP will get their act together and deliver.

aries said:
I doubt it's approvals. I own a commercial location in the Kearny Mesa area of San Diego which I have submitted to Eco quite some time ago. We have plenty of power ( > 2000 amps@ 480v) to readily support a charger.

So far no contact by Eco whatsoever. FYI
Right. I know of other commercial locations in a similar position: "Put one right here!" No word from EV Project.

It would be nice if EV Project would participate in another CVRP workshop with an update. They claim they will install 1,450 public chargers by mid-2011, and that free public charging will end in May 2011. Without a single public charger installed, and no specific locations identified, this just doesn't seem to be a promise they can keep.

I share Jimmydream's concern that if this appears (to the public, to officials) as a waste of DOE money, funding could dry up or reduce, and it will take longer to get infrastructure into place.

Back