GRA

Re: Kia Niro BEV

Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:27 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:58 am
GRA wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:21 pm
Yesterday it finally happened - I saw a Niro BEV in the wild. I've seen a few PHEV Niros before this, but not a single BEV outside of the ones at the dealership (Including the one I test drove). Beats me why sales are so slow, unless the dealerships are still tacking on $5k ADMs as they were when I drove one a few months back. That doesn't seem to be the case, and there doesn't seem like there's a lack of availability, then or now.
Saw one at NDEW Steilacoom and the reason you don't see many is rather obvious here. The only thing readily available is the highest trim. The one I saw was $46,000. Very nice but a lot of stuff I wouldn't pay for. It had a sunroof that really reduced backseat head room a lot. I am not tall and it was close for me.

H'mm, I don't recall any headroom problems front or rear, and I drove the EX Premium w/sunroof (I'd opt for the EX, which lacks it). I'm 6'0", but short-torsoed and long-legged. Checking dealers within 20 miles or so, the EX does seem to be in short supply (1 EX out of 12 BEVs at one dealer; 2 of 21 at another; 0 of 2 at a third; 3 of 7 at a fourth), although that may be because they sell better. I agree that the EX Premium is too pricy, or rather it has a lot of stuff I don't want.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

GRA

Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:31 pm

SageBrush wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:37 am

As for the Korean EV offerings: I typically skip these threads because the cars are produced in minuscule volumes for the compliance market and are simply not interesting.

You mean they're not interesting to you, thus you (rightly) skip the topic. Some of us do find them interesting, which is why we read/post about them.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

DougWantsALeaf
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811

Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:18 pm

GRA,

Its like you are in a different country. There are none in the midwest, nor any plans to have them their soon.

Interesting though, a Niro hybird (not full ev) parked next to me today (in our Plus). The car is no bigger than the leaf, and doesn't seem to ride much higher.

Beyond the very mild summer limitations of the Leaf battery (which I have not yet experienced), and the mounting reviews of the SR+ missing range expectations, I am feeling better and better about my cheaper Plus purchase. My GOM still is above 270 at full charge...300 if I have been driving for a bit. So very much want to try a Kona EV or Niro EV to see how much better they really do with an experienced EV driver.

I am an EV advocate, and happy with whatever EV you choose.
2019 SV Plus Silver
2013 Leaf SV
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max distance on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max distance on 19 Leaf: 242 Highway 4.5 miles/kWh (4.9 KWh remaining)

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:35 pm

DougWantsALeaf wrote:
GRA,

Its like you are in a different country. There are none in the midwest, nor any plans to have them their soon.

Interesting though, a Niro hybird (not full ev) parked next to me today (in our Plus). The car is no bigger than the leaf, and doesn't seem to ride much higher.
Well, yeah. Unfortunately, numerous automakers are only selling/leasing EVs/PHEVs in CA or CARB emission states mostly likely due to CA ZEV requirements. And, there's the fact that CA has incentives like HOV stickers and CVRP (https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/eng).

I bet many of the lower volume vehicles in the chart at https://insideevs.com/news/368729/ev-sa ... gust-2019/ are simply n/a in the US if not in a CARB emission state.

I was traveling recently and saw few EVs in Tucson, fewer in upstate NY and even fewer in the Houston area. In contrast, here in Nor Cal, there are tons of EVs and PHEVs. The other morning I pulled in relatively late into work and on level 3 of our parking structure where we have Tesla wall connectors vs. a whole bunch of ChargePoint J1772 stations, almost every vehicle in the charging spots was a Tesla.

We are past 600 EVs/PHEVs in our work registry, although some folks have multiple PEVs in their household and some are no longer with the company but haven't been removed yet.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GRA

Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:54 pm

DougWantsALeaf wrote:
GRA,

Its like you are in a different country.

Well, of course we're in a different country - hell, parts of California are on an entirely different planet :lol:

cwerdna describes the situation here in the Bay Area (or at least in Silicon Valley); Teslas aren't quite so numerous elsewhere in the Bay Area, although they are the dominant PEV and the Model 3 is even common. But there are plenty of Primes, Volts, Bolts, Energis etc. running around also.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”