My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect we won't see much change until we get to the people who were scheduled to get their cars near the end of April and afterwards. Cars before then should already be on the ship and headed this way.

rawhog said:
Not trying to be insensetive. But I am wondering if anyone has had their delivery dates changed since this tragedy struck.

If, and it's looking like a big if, all of the suppliers and supply lines are able to function, it sounds like Japanese industry including Nissan will be under tremendous pressure to output goods and bring capital into the country. The people of Japan are going to be asked to increase production of all goods as much as possible to generate the taxes to pay for the rebuilding. With a national debt already 225% of GDP, they have only a limited ability to spend on credit for the rebuilding. The country is facing some very difficult circumstances.

ETA

Auto Plants in Japan Remain Closed as Companies Take Stock

Yes, it is insignificant right now, but I also also wonder if some "month of May" deliveries, like mine, are ready to ship (and possibly damaged or totaled) being assembled, or still just parts being manufactured at various supplier locations.

Significant damage to a single supplier plant (or just the road/grid infrastructure to it) producing a single part, could delay all LEAF production for some time.

I expect it will be some time until we find out. Nissan, and the rest of Japan, have far more important things to worry about right now.

I wonder if any of the destroyed vehicles were leafs (see near end of article).

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/14/business/global/14auto.html?_r=2

FUD from the AllCarsElectric site:
Customers waiting for a 2011 Nissan Leaf will feel an immediate effect however, as the all-electric hatchback is currently only made at Nissan's Oppama factory. Until U.S. domestic production commences in 2012, expect deliveries from Japan to be heavily delayed until Nissan's factories are back to full production.
US production has noting to do with anything at this time, but it makes for sensationalistic journalism. Note also that Ms Tierney, in the referenced Detroit News article, makes no such statement.

http://www.allcarselectric.com/blog...hquake-and-tsunami-delay-2011-leaf-production

According to Automobile Magazine:
The company’s Oppama plant (which builds the Juke, Cube, and Leaf) and a handful of engine and transmission facilities will suspend operations until March 16.
If that turns out to be true, "March 16" and "heavily delayed" aren't seeing eye to eye. As LakeLeaf notes, every industrial company in Japan wants to get back on line as soon as possible.

Glenn

More info on LEAF production. 600 LEAFs currently enroute.

http://www.benzinga.com/news/11/03/924454/nissans-statement-regarding-status-of-japanese-earthquake-and-impact-on-nissan-ame

EdmondLeaf said:

This statement confirms that Oppama plant was affected.

Not trying to be insensetive. But I am wondering if anyone has had their delivery dates changed since this tragedy struck.

No change for me. I received an April 5 date on March 9, before the quake. Delivery estimate changed to Week of March 30 subsequently.

Boomer23 said:
EdmondLeaf said:

This statement confirms that Oppama plant was affected.

No change for me. I received an April 5 date on March 9, before the quake. Delivery estimate changed to Week of March 30 subsequently. I'm guessing that my car was either en route at the time of the tragedy or was among the 600 cars that left port just prior to the quake.

Yea my estimated delivery date has been bouncing around between week of April 5, April 8, March 30, and now back to April 5. All in the last week. I'm hoping mine is on that ship that left on the 10th as well.

TEPCO has stated that rolling power blackouts affecting millions include large factories may continue thru April.

the affected plants produced 30% of Japans electicity.

we can see from this production at car plants, while important for Japan financially and for the workers to get back to work and life as usual is important , but overshadowed by the disaster recovery effort, and the need for heat and light for people. God help the people of Japan.

they are a tough and quiet people capable of surviving any disaster. Notice, no looting or problems , just quiet reserve and bravery.

We could learn a lot from the Japanese people!

kmp647 said:
................................ important for Japan financially and for the workers to get back to work and life as usual is important , but overshadowed by the disaster recovery effort, and the need for heat and light for people. God help the people of Japan.

they are a tough and quiet people capable of surviving any disaster. Notice, no looting or problems , just quiet reserve and bravery.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+1 on the resilience of the Japanese people. And no looting, amazing, but a testament to their culture.

kmp647 said:
TEPCO has stated that rolling power blackouts affecting millions include large factories may continue thru April.

the affected plants produced 30% of Japans electicity.

we can see from this production at car plants, while important for Japan financially and for the workers to get back to work and life as usual is important , but overshadowed by the disaster recovery effort, and the need for heat and light for people. God help the people of Japan.

Echo those sentiments. How many left for work, to find no spouse or family? And the nuclear reactor situation? How can one help support and marshall aid to those in need? My understanding, via one picture sent to a friend, is the shelves of the grocery markets are empty in Tokyo.

The status of my LEAF car? Well, it is really of no comparison. This is more of a time for compassion.

I have been wondering exactly the same thing. I was flabbergasted when I just got my ...

"congratulations! Your vehicle is scheduled to arrive at your Nissan Dealer in the month of May 2011" email.

Guess I'll have to check it for water marks ;)

has a car with a May arrival date even been built yet?
or maybe hate to tell you was scheduled for production in the next days or so.....??

on another note:

I am thinking much that now tier 2 states will be very delayed and will receive 2012's

again not important compared to the loss in Japan.

Do we have to worry about our LEAF's being radioactive now? :(

It's completely horrible what's happening over there.... kind of makes my worrying about my LEAF insignificant though.

Back