Adding a Brusa charger under the hood for '11/'12s

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't comment directly on why there was a shutdown of the modified Nissan branded Panasonic EVSE used in the 2011-2012 North American sold LEAFs, but I did the "wiring" that day.

It literally was a 6/3 SOOW wire set directly from a 50 amp SquareD breaker in my neighbor's 200 amp panel. It was grounded properly, and set up to handle 40 amps continuously.

We charged numerous other cars that evening, some using both their respective 2011-2012 Panasonic (modified) EVSEs and also my 2013 Nissan/Panasonic (modified) at 25 amps. This was the only issue out of the several modified units that were being used. Each of them were either plugged into a dedicated 6/3 SOOW directly to a 50 amp breaker, or a dedicated NEMA 14-50R on a 50 amp breaker.

We were also running 40 amps continuous from my Clipper Creek CS-100 series J1772.

null-16.jpg

They each got to build their own plugs to connect to the car... Don't flip that breaker on until you're ready!!!

null-18.jpg

Goodtohave said:
How does adding the Brusa to a 2012 compare to a 2013 with the 6.6?

Searched for info but with 34 pages it is a lot of searching....

Thx!
It's alot more efficient. If you read the many other post on here about the 2013's... they are listed by Nissan as 6.6kw but really only 6kw. You have to figure line voltage (197v-240v).. yes.. most dealerships and commercial places have below 208v..

If you look at our pics.. 17-18amps at 393v... do the math... this is with pumps and fans running..

No 2013 can charge this fast on L2

I hope so! Would be very cool if more people jumped on board and if Brusa lowered the price even more!

There are more players coming into this arena now, fully isolated 3.3 & 6.6 liquid cooled units out there that are the same price range. I'm hoping Brusa drops their price even more! :D

I sure hope these prices stay low: now there's really no excuse for me to not do this to my 2011 UK spec...*

With regard to the air-cooled charger: can someone tell me how hot it gets in temperatures between 60 and 80 degrees C? Here in the UK we rarely get above 90 degrees, although I guess in direct sunlight it might get to over 100 degrees under the hood. Think we could get a liquid cooled one in the same space without too much trouble? (I suspect the 22kW three-phase unit would be a little harder to implement and more expensive to buy by far!)

Also, having just had our Volt in for repair (a motorcycle lost control and smashed into the front of my wife's brand new Volt while I was driving... the Volt only had 1800 miles on the odometer..) I wonder if a similar thing could be done for the Chevy Volt. Charging that at 6kW would totally rule...

*6kW upgrade comes after: 1) a respray of the driver's side -- don't ask. 2) Full leather + heated front/rear seats. 3) lagging heater pipes to make better use of pre-heating and heater mod.

aminorjourney said:
With regard to the air-cooled charger: can someone tell me how hot it gets in temperatures between 60 and 80 degrees C? Here in the UK we rarely get above 90 degrees, although I guess in direct sunlight it might get to over 100 degrees under the hood. Think we could get a liquid cooled one in the same space without too much trouble? (I suspect the 22kW three-phase unit would be a little harder to implement and more expensive to buy by far!)

Sure hope you mean degrees F... don't think it's that hot there! ;) In 36-40c weather, I've seen the under the hood temps run about 20c above ambiant in these conditions and have seen some derating. I think you'd be ok with air cooling with your ~20c temps.

I am working on a guide/summary of the thread and will update the OP in a day or two. Also working with GregH this evening on getting the LeafDD to control the Brusa. :)

Updated the OP. It still needs much more work but I'm not going to be free till next week to attack the documentation some more and figured it'll help even in it's bare-bones state. :)

Hi Jeremy,

I wonder if you received my PM yesterday or you want me to re-send it. I Can use regular email too.

Victor

I finally went ahead and finished my Brusa Install.

Finished1.jpg

I have been holding off completing my final installation because the car has been going back to the dealer, trying to get some satisfaction on a recent overnight dramatic loss of 14% of pack capacity, and I didn't want to cloud the issue with this install.

I got nowhere with Nissan, so I figured I might as well proceed with my charger.

This version is My plan, which I call "plan A", since I built this plate way back in the beginning, but had not yet installed it. My plan was for a more finished OEM look; something that perhaps to an untrained observer, or a Nissan service department , might escape notice, as opposed to the West Coast's more Nimitz Class design :)

So, here you go

I pulled everything apart (again) and put away all the OEM stuff for reinstall if need be.

Brusa20.jpg

1) As we know, this circuit board assembly (under the “Valve Cover”) comes from Nissan mounted in a way that leaves it “higher” than the plane of the top of the inverter, which interferes with mounting the flat plate. I chose to lower the circuit board assembly. I did it this way so I didn't gain so much height that I couldn't still slide the charger under the rear lip.

I assembled and installed my "Circuit Board Sandwich" used to lower the total height of this assembly to achieve the clearance I needed to mount my plate. I used a bit of blue Thread Locker on the lower screws so that one of them wouldn't wiggle loose at some point and start rattling around in there.

Brusa21.jpg

2) I mounted it all up, and found I still needed a "Spacer" between the inverter and my plate. I built this spacer out of Blue translucent Cast HDPE. If I had to do it again, I would probably make it out of Aluminum to maintain shielding. (More on that later)

Brusa22.jpg

3) Next comes the mounting plate itself. All the screws that will be covered by the Brusa are countersunk so that it can lie flat. The screws are all 5M, and longer than the originals.
The Brusa output charging harness now consists of simply a positive and negative conductor. The plate was cut, and then clear anodized to harden up the surface, and then Cerakoted to try to replicate the finish found on the OEM "valve cover". I went ahead and duplicated this finish on the actual Brusa cover as well. Side by side it came out spot on for color and texture I think.

I used Screw-Goo (anti seizes) on all the new 5M SS screws so that I wouldn't get any nasty surprises from Aluminum corrosion down the line. The mounting posts are all 3/4" 6061 Rod, welded to the plate, and threaded 6M just like the OEM mountings.

Brusa4.jpg

4) Mounting the Brusa. I wanted to make use of ALL the original screw positions that the original “valve Cover” used. Wanted to Mount from above, so I drilled out the original threaded mounting holes on the Brusa, and threaded the plate instead, so the charger will be secured from the top instead of from below. I used 6M SS Cap head screws because of their small head size being needed to clear the heat fins on the Brusa. I used small spacers between the Brusa and the mounting plate, to try to thermally isolate the two. The guys who are already running their systems have discovered how hot these get, and I don't want that heat coupled directly to my Inverter housing if possible.

last.jpg

So, this is the finished assembly. (The Nissan emblem is just sitting on top; Not sure if I want it there)
All in all, I'm happy with the result aesthetically, and LOVE the reduced charging time. I can now actually make use of L2 public charging in a meaningful way.

Lessons learned, and things I would do differently;

1) While I tease my very smart West Coast friends about their design (which has a big enough deck to allow flight operations), ultimately their design is probably superior. If I had to start again from scratch, I would retain my top plate design, but leave the circuit board in place as OEM. I would measure out how high I needed to space up my plate to clear the bracket, and cut my gasket / spacer out of aluminum that thickness, more like the California design.

Their design eliminates the fabrication of the Circuit board mount, eliminates the need to mess with the circuit board at all, and when removing the system for Warranty service, they can skip that whole step and simply remove and replace the top cover. If I then needed to get rid of that "clip" that gets in the way of the Brusa; so be it. No big loss.

2) I would have gone with the Water Cooled unit because we have now discovered just how much heat these things need to dissipate. The air cooled works fine, but it gets hot. Also, using the water cooled unit makes quick removal more cumbersome.

3) I would have made my plate 2 inches wider. It's 18" wide. (But with the water cooled unit, I would have gained the additional 2 inches that way.

4) I would NOT have welded the mounting studs to the plate. It turned out to be a real pain, at least for me, because it was really hard to get the 3/4" rod hot enough without melting the 3/16" plate in the process. I would have threaded the whole mounting stud, and used a flat head screw from below to affix it, leaving enough thread protruding up to make it a stud, and use a nut to secure the tanks instead of a bolt.

I'm toying with mounting some pan fans under the hood to try to help with the heat generated.

So it's complete except for adding CAN control later.
My thanks to JeremyW for starting this project.
Thanks to all the guys who discovered all the things that needed discovering, and JasonA for all his encouragement and communication
(and motivational YouTube videos :) )

Looks awesome!! Now that the weather here is cooled down, full power charging is not an issue with the hood closed. As I estimated as long as its 81* or cooler outside the Leaf can sustain it no prob.

It's been cool here 63* and I've been ramping up full power no issues at all.

Your craftsmanship is beautiful my friend!

Well done!

This one would be better suited for a QC:
http://www.brusa.biz/index.php?id=442&L=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

787fca86de.jpg

It could also allow CHAdeMO to CHAdeMO operation.

-Phil

Wow, this is an impressive mod. You guys rock :mrgreen:

I haven't been on this forum for a while: quit job, retired, fixed-up/remodeled home, sold it, then moved to the Central Coast. This was more work than a regular full time job! (80-90 hr weeks for a few months)

Actually, I'm contemplating getting a P85 Tesla, most likely a "Certified Used" one after my LEAF lease ends in March of 2015.

We've got Brusa CAN control on the LeafDD now... I posted this on the LeafDD thread:

If the LeafDD detects a Brusa charger on the CAN bus it will ramp it up alongside the 2011/12 OBC and also cut power as soon as you touch the EVSE handle (as does the OBC). The LeafDD calculates additional EVSE ampacity based on the EVSE pilot and supports up to 16A more (via Brusa) from the line on 240V, 14A from the line on 208V or 4A from the line on 120V assuming the EVSE pilot reports sufficient ampacity. If the EVSE reports only 12A @ 120V or 16A @ 240V the LeafDD will not turn on the Brusa. If a Brusa is detected when you plug in the EVSE, the LeafDD switches to page 2 and the 2nd half of the last line (after 12V voltage) is replaced with information specific to the Brusa such as EVSE line voltage and ampacity, OBC DC charge current + Brusa DC charge current, Brusa temp (graphically) and Brusa on/off (as a big white block). If you wish to disable your Brusa, just press the LeafDD button to go back to page 3 or 1 and the Brusa will shut down.

This is very cool.

I was wondering however, can you see this being done with a different charger? I've been looking to work with an Eltek Valere charger for a motorcycle application. The charger is smaller than the brusa and 3kW (http://evolveelectrics.com/Eltek3000_IP67.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Tango said:
This is very cool.

I was wondering however, can you see this being done with a different charger? I've been looking to work with an Eltek Valere charger for a motorcycle application. The charger is smaller than the brusa and 3kW (http://evolveelectrics.com/Eltek3000_IP67.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Do you want to put the Eltek charger on the LEAF, or on a motorcycle?

You would need the Part # 360 for a LEAF ($1570 with chill plate), and it is CAN bus controlled:

"*This charger requires a CANbus signal from a BMS to work."

One issue is that this unit has 200msec CAN bus intervals, and my understanding is that we need 100msec.

How to wire up in parallel with existing LEAF charger with CAN bus

CAN bus protocols

Datasheet

TonyWilliams said:
Tango said:
This is very cool.

Do you want to put the Eltek charger on the LEAF, or on a motorcycle?

I'm putting an Eltek on a motorcycle, so i'm (getting) familiar with working with an Eltek via CAN. I was wondering about putting one in parallel on my leaf as well.

TonyWilliams said:
You would need the Part # 360 for a LEAF ($1570 with chill plate), and it is CAN bus controlled:

"*This charger requires a CANbus signal from a BMS to work."

One issue is that this unit has 200msec CAN bus intervals, and my understanding is that we need 100msec.

Hmmm...can you explain more about this? i admit i haven't really read into how the CAN control of the Brusa in this context works, but I was figuring i'd have to build something to listen to the can messages that were coming from the car and internal charger and then have to translate to the Eltek. If the eltek sends status messages every 200ms and the internal is every 100ms, i think i'd be able to do the translation (or skip every other internal message). Am I thinking about this in the wrong way?

(i should go read the rest of this thread in depth to figure out how the brusa can integration works.)

TonyWilliams said:

[/quote]

Thanks for those links. I didn't have the parallel connection one (though the info in there is pretty minimal).

Thanks again!

The Eltek 360 doesn't have a problem working with the Leaf... there's already one working with a rude/elementary CAN translator but it works. With the people here on this forum and the brains it should be easy. The timing is not an issue.

As for the price, that's way too much. I've already been quoted much less direct from the distributor for 5 units or more. They are abit smaller then the Brusa but put out 300 watts less and are over $1100 cheaper per unit and can be stacked easily.

This is what I've been trying to push everyone on for awhile now since I got the distrib to give us some sweet pricing. I don't think Brusa is going to cooperate or lower their prices in the near future.

And fitting 3 under the hood is possible.

Back