Buying in Houston TX?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjr

Hello Fellow Ev-Owners and Interested

I moved a couple of months ago from Europe to Houston Tx, and here I need a car. As a new Texan i dont have any credit history so leasing wont be possible, so a Nissan Salesperson told me.
I read a lot in this forum, and I really like the leaf, and the idea of driving without the need for gas.
So now I was thinking about buying a leaf. (when buying my non-existent credit doesnt seem to as important)
I also did read that the Leaf has its little problems in hot areas, (I specifically read about Phoenix)...
I understand there is a 8 year guarantee on the battery?
So my question is: Would you guys recommend buying it, or waiting a couple of years to get credit for leasing, and till then get a different car?
I would be thankful for your thoughts...

I like ours. It is not our only car though. If you plan to drive less than 60 miles a day, I would say go for it. I would like a second for myself. My wife uses ours. Just don't buy from McDavid Nissan. They suck.

As much as we have enjoyed our Leaf, I would not recommend it as a first car for an newly-arrived Texan, particularly if it will be your only car. And given the battery issues in Texas, purchasing would also not be recommended. A Volt could be your around-the-town EV, and still take you on those longer ICE trips -- if you and your luggage fit inside.

i should have mentioned that my girlfriend I live with has a "normal" car...
so even with the 8 year battery warranty i shouldnt even think about buying?
I was also thinking about the volt, but the 30-31 mpg after ev runs out kind of set me off...

kjr said:
i should have mentioned that my girlfriend I live with has a "normal" car...
so even with the 8 year battery warranty i shouldnt even think about buying?
The 8-year warranty only covers failures in the battery, not gradual degradation. The new capacity warranty covers degradation for five years or 60,000 miles. You need to be able to tolerate the total range of the LEAF dropping to about 50 miles or so to be able to deal with over 30% capacity loss that it takes to get the battery repaired. That is roughly the electric range of a Chevy Volt in warm weather. Texas is hot enough that your capacity warranty will likely trigger. Do you want to deal with that?
kjr said:
I was also thinking about the volt, but the 30-31 mpg after ev runs out kind of set me off...
But based on owner feedback I have read, you will drive between 40 and 50 miles before the gasoline engine starts in the Texas heat. Plus some report getting better than 45 MPG when driving the Volt on gasoline.

I will also say that the three things that caused me to choose a LEAF over a Volt a year and a half ago do not apply to your situation:

1)The LEAF was $10,000 cheaper.

While the Volt is still more expensive, the new 2014 model will offer a substantially lower price tag. Hopefully you can get a 2014 or convince the dealer to sell you a 2013 for a low price. Remember, they have many months of inventory sitting around right now. With a new, cheaper, model about to show up, they should be ready to deal.

2) I don't like the fact that the Volt has glass above the heads of the rear seat passengers.

Since you do not have children, this should be no big deal.

3) I feel that the Volt battery will not last as long as the LEAF battery in the climate where I live due to its smaller size leading to more cycling.

This idea does not apply to a hot climate like Texas. The design of the battery system in the Volt will certainly last longer than the one in the LEAF in Texas because of the design of both the temperature management system and the battery management system.

The battery warranty on the Volt is 8 years and 100,000 miles, IIRC, and it also triggers when the car has about 70% of its original 10.8 kWh available battery capacity. The difference is that design apparently holds quite a bit of the battery's capacity in reserve and meters it out so that the range doesn't drop at all until the battery is very degraded. To my knowledge, no one has seen this happen, yet.

In other words, with the TMS and BMS design in the Volt and no kids to haul along with the new, lower price take for 2014, I certainly recommend it over the LEAF for your use in the Texas heat.

Good luck with your decision!

Back