ECOtality News 8/12/13 - DOE Stops payments

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nubo said:
davewill said:
This is what I've feared the most. That they would fail to create a going concern, a profit making company, and that we'd end up with an abandoned network that's good for nobody. We can only hope that some other entity is able to take over the network and keep it operating (and repair the overheating problems).

They already partnered with Chargepoint for billing, iirc. Chargepoint has their act together so I'd root for that. And since they have precious few L3 of their own, might be a decent fit.

They don't own the stations, and I doubt they would want to own any of the Blink ones!!! The best hope is a swap out of the crap Blink equipment for something reliable.

An Important Message

We wanted you to know that the needs of our drivers are paramount to us and despite the challenges we currently face, we will continue to operate the Blink Network and maintain our Blink chargers until further notice. We urge you to visit a Blink charger today and show that you support the growth of a public charging infrastructure.

This morning after charging, I noticed the plastic cap from the car's top right pin J connector missing. The Blink EVSE may have melted it. So I called ECOtality and they said someone would call me back within 48 hours. A few minutes later Michael Martin called and said he could be here in about 30-40 minutes to install a new nozzle and cord. He arrived in less than 30 minutes and quickly replaced the old nozzle and cord. Absolutely Amazing service! Tomorrow morning I'll get a temp reading. On the 2013, to get the highest reading, take the temp right after a 45-60 min. charge because after that the car cuts the amps.

TonyWilliams said:
The best hope is a swap out of the crap Blink equipment for something reliable.
Are there any rock solid public charging stations out there with support for billing? Even Chargepoint has reliability issues.

drees said:
TonyWilliams said:
Are there any rock solid public charging stations out there with support for billing? Even Chargepoint has reliability issues.

More features = more issues...

Just put in a basic Clipper Creek CS-40 or a CS-100 if you can swing it and let people grab some electrons for free. No point of sale hardware, no network fees, no 7% revenue slurp, and no down time...

drees said:
TonyWilliams said:

If I had the company, I'd probably swap in an OpenEVSE guts. Make them dumb and simple with a relatively low cost fix.

To generate income, and because the current Rema ones are garbage, I think I'd sell cords like they do in Europe. Then, add a Mennekes receptacle on the unit, which now has no cable to be vandalized or burn a pin on a car. Two problems fixed.

Now, I sell Mennekes to J1772 cables and give away the L2 charging service. Freeloaders won't ever show up because they need a cable that costs $199.99. Folks that buy the cable aren't cheapskates and have virtually free reign of the charging locations. The Mennekes adaptor is encrypted with the owners billing for future use.

If I sell 1000 of these cable sets, that's $199,990 in gross receipts, and $100,000 in profit. More than Blink pulled in, and all the units work.

When I sell 10,000 cable sets, almost $2 million in gross receipts!!! After a few years, I add pay by the minute/kWh, with a system paid for with the revenue from selling cables. No cards to swipe, because every time a person plugs in, the billing is already known.

I celebrate every time a Just-Drive-The-Prius(TM) person complains that it's "too expensive", and realize that is just one less freeloader blocking a spot for paying customers.

All the DC chargers, I would just replace, and again they would be dumb chargers.

Randy said:
No point of sale hardware, no network fees, no 7% revenue slurp, and no down time...
No revenue stream, no chance to make back cash on the charger install, no incentive to install more chargers.

Yep, we have to get over this mindset that charging should be free or nearly so! It is completely unsustainable!

ITestStuff said:
Randy said:
No point of sale hardware, no network fees, no 7% revenue slurp, and no down time...
No revenue stream, no chance to make back cash on the charger install, no incentive to install more chargers.

The mindset isn't so much that charging should be free, it is that it should be less expensive than former means of transportation.

If driving my Volt 40 miles costs 1 gallon of gas and driving my Volt 40 miles on electricity costs 13kWh of electricity (4 hours of charging), then charging needs to cost less than 1 gallon of gas. That comes to just under $1/hour and I'm actually cool with paying $1/hour.

But NOT $2 for 1.01 hours, or $1 for 20 minutes.

For the Leaf, where the need could be more important than the cost and with the 6.6kW charger a bit more would certainly seem reasonable, but $2/hour with full hour charges for going over by a little and you alienate your customers real fast.

I always predicted the Blink/Chargepoint model as I've seen it (fast food restaurants, really? I am never even there for a full hour) was unsustainable, except where the retailer is willing to bear the cost. I charged at a Blink once at 5 Guys burgers and felt ripped off. I've charged at the free ChargePoint at Half Price Books a couple of times.

Of course the problem for me now with two Blinks in the garage is going to be service, which they have needed every few months. But, they were ~$300 each.

Cheezmo said:
The mindset isn't so much that charging should be free, it is that it should be less expensive than former means of transportation.

There's no connection between the price to Just-Drive-The-Prius(TM) and electricity for an EV. They aren't indexed in some way. The models are vastly different (gas stations make most of their money selling snacks). Obviously, Blink / ChargePoint, et al, are not in the snack business. So, virtually all the revenue to support the business comes from the tax payer or you. If neither will pay, we know what will happen to the infrastructure. $1 or $2 per hour probably isn't sustainable on the business side, either, to be honest. They are also competing against locations that are >>> free <<< and people who expect near free.

Electricity will no doubt remain somewhat stable in price in the coming years, while gasoline could do just about anything. Future consumers aren't going to do all the back-of-the-napkin calculations to determine which car might be cheaper to drive that day, and they aren't likely to have the luxury of multiple cars to chose which one might save them a dollar. The whole thinking process just isn't the mass consumer audience.

If it's too expensive, seriously, don't use it. Drive the oil car. It will leave charging locations for everybody who wants and needs a charge and who wants to support EVs and the EV infrastructure. I think I'll go have a Coke now... oh, crap, it's $1, when I can get case from Costco for 18 cents each. What to do?

TonyWilliams said:
If it's too expensive, seriously, don't use it. Drive the oil car. It will leave charging locations for everybody who wants and needs a charge and who wants to support EVs and the EV infrastructure. I think I'll go have a Coke now... oh, crap, it's $1, when I can get case from Costco for 18 cents each. What to do?

That is exactly what is happening. People aren't using it.

I've had a Leaf for over year and paid way to much for an evGo membership in order to support the infrastructure, but DC fast charging has a been awesome and allowed me to go all over the metroplex all electric. No way I got my moneys worth of electricity, but those stations are extremely useful and I haven't minded paying the premium for it to have it available when needed.

The blink 240V charging stations are all but worthless to me so I have no interest in paying extra to support that infrastructure. I think there is one time I used one with the Leaf while eating at McDonalds in order to get the extra range I needed on that trip to get to the McDonalds, even then I sat in the car for 30 minutes after eating to make sure I picked up the needed range. An evGo station opened in that area a few weeks later so no way I would waste that time at a Blink again.

6.6kW charging might tip the scale in the future but for me right now there is just never a time it makes sense to use a Blink or ChargePoint 240V station unless it is under $1. I completely understand that they lose money at that rate, and therefore may just as well go away as far as I'm concerned.

OK, I don't have a a RAV4 EV, but I kept reading. Interesting timing for a survey.
Hello Jim,

We are looking for the RAV4 EV drivers in our community. If you do not have a RAV4 EV, you can stop reading now.

If you do have a RAV4 EV, Blink wants to learn more about your charging experience. We need your input to ensure that you can continue to have a reliable charging experience.

Please fill out this short form and let us know the year of your RAV4 EV. We promise to only take a few minutes of your time.

Charge On.
Blink

I believe that anything less than 10 Kw simply is too restrictive to every make it to critical mass...

Cheezmo said:
6.6kW charging might tip the scale in the future but for me right now there is just never a time it makes sense to use a Blink or ChargePoint 240V station unless it is under $1. I completely understand that they lose money at that rate, and therefore may just as well go away as far as I'm concerned.

L2s only make sense as a service provided by the business at which it is installed. They can't generate any kind of ROI - except may be in apartments & work places.

With all this being said.. I just pre-ordered a few weeks back the Blink HQ home charger... They told me this will be shipped out Aug-22nd..

Thoughts do you think I should canx? If they go bankrupt, there would be no warranty! correct?

Thanks for all the great info.. this is definitely informative and a little sad.

H

kidkenpo said:
With all this being said.. I just pre-ordered a few weeks back the Blink HQ home charger... They told me this will be shipped out Aug-22nd..

Thoughts do you think I should canx?

Did you pay with a credit card that you can get your money back with a dispute?

I personally would never buy a Blink anything, and I would recommend getting your order cancelled NOW. If you want that same charger, buy the Bosch or Delta twin to it.

Tony

Thank you for the quick reply, I am new to the EV world Leaf 2013, and saw the prices go down on chargers, Since i use the BLink stations. I thought that it would be smart to use them..

Now all the news makes me nervous.. they did not charge my card (since unit did not ship) stated the sales person today.. but they are looking to still ship as promised.

I emailed my concerns, they skirted the issues, when I mentioned bankrupt and warranty and said.. we are not delayed and you will be getting your charger.

Sounds like I should tell them to Keep it and canx..

TonyWilliams said:
kidkenpo said:

Thoughts do you think I should canx?

Did you pay with a credit card that you can get your money back with a dispute?

I personally would never buy a Blink anything, and I would recommend getting your order cancelled NOW. If you want that same charger, buy the Bosch or Delta twin to it.

+1000 I would not give a dime to this company even if the warranty were covered without a doubt. Same thing with major banks like CIti, pulled all my money out and could not be happier. I also let them know why.

Cheezmo said:
The mindset isn't so much that charging should be free, it is that it should be less expensive than former means of transportation. If driving my Volt 40 miles costs 1 gallon of gas and driving my Volt 40 miles on electricity costs 13kWh of electricity (4 hours of charging), then charging needs to cost less than 1 gallon of gas. That comes to just under $1/hour and I'm actually cool with paying $1/hour.
As has been said by a number of people in a variety of ways, that is NOT the correct mindset. For gasoline vehicles all fuel is purchased at a filling station. For electric vehicles, it is expected that most fuel will be purchased at home. If you don't have any way to charge at home you shouldn't have an EV. Stopping to charge an EV on the road should be thought of as more like calling an emergency road service company asking them to bring you some gas. That will always be far more expensive than buying gas at a filling station.

If the price of using public charging stations bothers you, figure your total monthly cost of electricity for the car, including what you pay at home. If that total is more than the total you would pay to travel the same number of miles in an ICE, then you can start complaining, or better yet, start thinking about why you are using public stations so much.

Ray

Back