Fast Low Cost Charging - All EVSE Questions Answered!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cracovian said:
Quick question for Phil and everyone... I'd like to use my upgraded unit for public trickle charging (120V) in a few days. Ideally, I'd like to keep the "box" in the car, so no one messes with it or steals it and use the extension cord to come out of the slightly open window. The 2ft adapter is obviously too short but can I plug this 5-15P adapter into another ~25 ft #12 extension cord to give me that extra needed reach? Phil states "DO NOT use extension cord" in his flyer but woudn't it be safe to use one for 120 Volt charging?

The reason for this is GFI protection for wet use. If the outlet is GFI then it is not such an issue or if it is a dry area. I have done this often in parking garages, etc. You can get a small GFI plug end for your cord if needed or desired.

cracovian said:
Quick question for Phil and everyone... I'd like to use my upgraded unit for public trickle charging (120V) in a few days. Ideally, I'd like to keep the "box" in the car, so no one messes with it or steals it and use the extension cord to come out of the slightly open window. The 2ft adapter is obviously too short but can I plug this 5-15P adapter into another ~25 ft #12 extension cord to give me that extra needed reach? Phil states "DO NOT use extension cord" in his flyer but woudn't it be safe to use one for 120 Volt charging?

Here is how I do it. 100' #12 wire is no trouble. 120v or 240v.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7587&start=0

smkettner said:
cracovian said:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7587&start=0

I love it!!! Thank you!

smkettner said:
Keep in mind that 100' isn't a problem as long as the extension cord is not tightly coiled up. Make sure the cord has room to breath!

Charging at 120V 12A on a 12ga extension cord will get you a 4-5V drop at the end of the cord (about 4%) which means that the extension cord will create about 50-60W of heat (12A * 4.5V = 54W).

240V 16A will will have about a 6V drop and the percentage loss will be lower (~2.5%) but the total energy loss will be higher due to the higher current, about 90-100W (16A * 6V = 96W).

Always use the shortest extension cord possible!

Voltage Drop Calculator

cracovian said:
... can I plug this 5-15P adapter into another ~25 ft #12 extension cord to give me that extra needed reach? Phil states "DO NOT use extension cord" in his flyer but woudn't it be safe to use one for 120 Volt charging?
As others have pointed out, you can do this, but you might want to get an L6-20 extension cord, instead. That way you can use it with kind of adapter you make to charge at 120v OR 240v. I keep a 50ft one in the car and it's been useful several times.

L6-20 extension cords

davewill said:
cracovian said:
... can I plug this 5-15P adapter into another ~25 ft #12 extension cord to give me that extra needed reach? Phil states "DO NOT use extension cord" in his flyer but woudn't it be safe to use one for 120 Volt charging?
As others have pointed out, you can do this, but you might want to get an L6-20 extension cord, instead. That way you can use it with kind of adapter you make to charge at 120v OR 240v. I keep a 50ft one in the car and it's been useful several times.

L6-20 extension cords

Good call - That way I'm more flexible.

So the bottom line is that Phil doesn't listen to Nissan's guidelines and we don't listen to Phil's ALL CAP advice either :)

I just got me the 25 foot L6-20 extension - it should work for now.

The main reason both Nissan and I specify "NO EXTENSION CORDS" is because most people can't tell one from another, and they'll happily connect a cheap 16awg 50 foot cord that mostly coiled up still in a big tangled mess and burn their garage down!

I suggest that everyone have all connections reviewed by a competent electrician for this reason. Even a "normal" 120v outlet can start a fire if it's worn out, for instance. If you have a fire, and worse, if someone dies, it's just not worth it! I'd be sued into oblivion, so would Nissan, and think of the damage to the EV movement!

If you are qualified, and can properly assess your particular situation, you'll make safe choices. Safe is fine.

However, I do NOT recommend over 75 feet total of #12 EVER, you should move to #10. This is not necessarily dangerous, but it will create a lot of waste and is stressful for the Leaf's on-board charger (brown out conditions).

I carry a 50' and a 25' L6-20 extension made with #12 AWG and high-quality molded ends, that way I have great flexibility. I also keep all connections protected and dry, and I try to keep the EVSE dry as well.

-Phil

Will an L6-20 adapter to a dryer 10-30 work? Looks like the 10-30 does not have ground! I would think that the LEAF needs a ground correct?

Had my EVSE upgraded to Rev2. Works great, and charges at the full 16A rate when I use it with my home-made 'Quick220' box. Thanks, Phil and http://www.evseupgrade.com for delivering it so quickly, too. It was being shipped back the very day that I thought it would have reached you! This will be great when visiting family on the other side of the city.

phxsmiley said:
This will be great when visiting family on the other side of the city.
:lol: Sorry, but this tickled my weird sense of humor. Wikipedia says Chandler AZ (where you claim to live) is 65 sq miles. So what is it, 65 miles long and 1 mile wide? :roll:

[Now, our granddaughter lives 90 miles away. We did make a trip up there in the LEAF, and of course charged before coming back, but my wife thought it was a bit much, so we took our Prius the next time we went.]

Ray

ya, i be Wiki says the same thing about Seattle but trust me, going from the western suburbs to the Eastern Suburbs would be a good trip in winter and on the map it looks very doable but they dont mention the minimum 1500 foot elevation gain either

planet4ever said:
phxsmiley said:
This will be great when visiting family on the other side of the city.
:lol: Sorry, but this tickled my weird sense of humor. Wikipedia says Chandler AZ (where you claim to live) is 65 sq miles. So what is it, 65 miles long and 1 mile wide? :roll: ...
Chandler is a suburb of Phoenix, so his relatives probably live "on the other side" of a greater metro area. Would you think it odd for someone in Santa Clara to say something like this?

phxsmiley said:
Had my EVSE upgraded to Rev2. Works great, and charges at the full 16A rate when I use it with my home-made 'Quick220' box. Thanks, Phil and http://www.evseupgrade.com for delivering it so quickly, too. It was being shipped back the very day that I thought it would have reached you! This will be great when visiting family on the other side of the city.
You're welcome! Be cautious when using the Q220 at a full 16A and be sure to wait about a half hour then check for heat build up at all connections. If you have a volt meter, another good test is to monitor voltage drop.

-Phil

phxsmiley said:

By 'city', I mean the Phoenix 'valley' or 'metro area'. For us to go from where we live in Chandler to our family in Peoria, one way, it's about 60 miles, mostly 65mph highways. I simplified it by calling it all a 'city', but that's what it really is - we're just located in opposite suburbs of the Phoenix metro area.

Unfortunately, we only have 1 DC charger available to us, and it's not in a convenient location for this route, and it's not available on weekends.

davewill said:
Chandler is a suburb of Phoenix, so his relatives probably live "on the other side" of a greater metro area. Would you think it odd for someone in Santa Clara to say something like this?
Reminds me of a collection call. Person asked to talk to the owner of the store. Store clerk replies, I am sorry the owner is out of town. I don't know when he will return. And dang it then we called the store across the street (in the next town) and the owner answers the phone :roll: True story BTW.

Back