Fast Low Cost Charging - All EVSE Questions Answered!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received my Rev. 2 EVSE Upgrade yesterday, and it works great with the L6-20 outlet installed inside my garage immediately in front of where I park my car. I also found a plastic garden hose hangout at Home Depot for $3.97, which works perfectly for storing the EVSE cable. Its wide and open construction allows the entire cable to be stored in a single layer such that the cable will stay cool when in use. (I only need to uncoil about 3 feet to charge my LEAF.) For those interested in doing something similar, it is the Suncast 150 ft. Hose Capacity Hose Hangout.

mwalsh said:
I just scoped out two 120v outlets at work to use with my home brew 220v box and got 270v with the meter nominal. Is that still within tolerances for the modded EVSE?
From the evseupgrade.com FAQ:
evseupgrade.com said:
What are the tech details?
The upgraded EVSE is "universal" and will work on almost any outlet and power system anywhere on the planet. The input voltage range is 100 to 240 volts at 50 or 60 hertz. ...
I thought I remembered Phil quoting 250v as the absolute max. I wouldn't chance it.

davewill said:
mwalsh said:
I just scoped out two 120v outlets at work to use with my home brew 220v box and got 270v with the meter nominal. Is that still within tolerances for the modded EVSE?
From the evseupgrade.com FAQ:
evseupgrade.com said:
What are the tech details?
The upgraded EVSE is "universal" and will work on almost any outlet and power system anywhere on the planet. The input voltage range is 100 to 240 volts at 50 or 60 hertz. ...
I thought I remembered Phil quoting 250v as the absolute max. I wouldn't chance it.
264v is the "official" max. There are some variations, as we have continuously improved the design and efficiency. The newer units are more tolerant, and I have tested them successfully at some pretty high voltages, but still I do not recommend usage over 264v simply because the Leaf's on-board charger may not survive.

We have repaired a few units free-of-charge where strange circumstances caused abnormally high voltages. In both of these cases the upgraded EVSE actually "took one for the team" and blew up before charging could start, thus preventing destruction of the much more expensive Nichicon charger in the Leaf. (That Nissan may not cover under warranty)

Please don't blow it up on purpose though! :eek:

-Phil

phxsmiley said:
By 'city', I mean the Phoenix 'valley' or 'metro area'.
Many people say one thing when they mean something else. I've never been able to figure out why, but it can lead to confusion. In some situations (not this one) it leads to bad advice being given that can have serious adverse consequences.

Just sayin' ... :)

Ingineer said:
However, I do NOT recommend over 75 feet total of #12 EVER, you should move to #10. This is not necessarily dangerous, but it will create a lot of waste and is stressful for the Leaf's on-board charger (brown out conditions).
Question, Phil.

I'm planning to charge at work with the upgraded Nissan brick, but it's 208V (2 phases of 3-phase). Does your comment quoted above suggest this is a bad idea due to being well below 240V or is this OK?

Thanks

No, there is no problem charging on 208v, the Leaf was originally designed to Japanese-Spec, which is 200v for Level II. Because the EVSE limits the current though, expect to charge a tiny but slower than when connected to a full 240v. (240v x 16a = 3.84kW 208v x 16a = 3.328kW)

-Phil

Gary is mostly correct. But if you are tying to be completely technical, The EVSE does actually limit the current, (depending on model) to some value. In the case of the Nissan unit, if the car were to pull over 25A, the fuse would open. Of course, the breaker feeding the EVSE would trip before this. According to SAE J1772, The car's on-board charger is required to limit it's current consumption to the value stipulated by the EVSE, so for practical purposes and in reality, the EVSE does indeed set the top end current. I have never seen the Leaf disobey this by any significant amount. In Fact, Technically the EVSE doesn't "ask", it "tells", as there is no path for a response from the car to the EVSE.

-Phil

Just got my upgraded EVSE from evseupgrade. Works great and serves as my only charger. They shipped it out on the same day they received it. Much better deal than buying a separate L2. Couldn't be happier. Thanks Phil

adspguy said:
Just got my upgraded EVSE from evseupgrade. Works great and serves as my only charger. They shipped it out on the same day they received it. Much better deal than buying a separate L2. Couldn't be happier. Thanks Phil
I'll second that. We just got ours on Wednesday. It took two weeks because of EVSEUpgrade's preference for UPS only for shipping. Not a big deal since we did it over vacation. As a result, the car was only parked a few days.

The unit is top quality and draws 0 VAs and 0 VARs when plugged into 120 VAC compared with 0 VAs and 5 VARs before the upgrade. I put in an L6-20R outlet just below a shelf where the unit now sits. It can be easily seen while plugging in the LEAF and the cord does not get walked on. It suits us perfectly.

The 120 VAC adapter cord also appears to be top quality!

Thanks, Phil! Great idea! Great design! Great price! Great work!

We're fully ready to send you some money for a LEAFscan! Just tell us when! :D

My Rev2 has been saving my bacon this week. I'm having major work done in my backyard, and the only place available to store various materials has been the driveway...which means I can't park in there and use my Blink. :shock: My 50ft. L6-20 extension and my Rev2 upgrade fixed that problem neatly allowing me to plug into the Blink's 240v outlet and reach the LEAF parked at the end of the driveway. :D

Ingineer said:
Gary is mostly correct. But if you are tying to be completely technical, The EVSE does actually limit the current, (depending on model) to some value. In the case of the Nissan unit, if the car were to pull over 25A, the fuse would open. Of course, the breaker feeding the EVSE would trip before this. According to SAE J1772, The car's on-board charger is required to limit it's current consumption to the value stipulated by the EVSE, so for practical purposes and in reality, the EVSE does indeed set the top end current. I have never seen the Leaf disobey this by any significant amount. In Fact, Technically the EVSE doesn't "ask", it "tells", as there is no path for a response from the car to the EVSE.

-Phil

So, you get the same charge rate from a 208V source as a 240V one, whether using a public J1772 or your 16A mod, right?

I was wondering that, while charging at a J1772 signed 208V.

BTW, Phil, I made the 180+ mile Vacaville-to-Shasta County drive last Monday entirely on your EVSE, by charging at RV parks.

Since there are NO public EVSEs on this stretch of the I-5 "Green Highway", it would have taken me a few days, without it.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3319" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks again.

Ed

edatoakrun said:
So, you get the same charge rate from a 208V source as a 240V one, whether using a public J1772 or your 16A mod, right?

I was wondering that, while charging at a J1772 signed 208V. ...
The J1772 advertises AMPS not kiloWatts, so the charge rate would be less @ 208v. Most public J1772s have a 30a (or better) capacity, so the LEAF can draw a bit more @ 208v on them than on the upgrade.

So, quick question. The upgrade will draw 16 amps at rev2... what is the effect of plugging it into a RV site that provides 50 amp outlets?

jpokoraw1 said:
So, quick question. The upgrade will draw 16 amps at rev2... what is the effect of plugging it into a RV site that provides 50 amp outlets?
The same as the effect of plugging a 7 watt (0.06 amp) night light into a 20 amp wall circuit. And, no, it doesn't harm the night light, or make it burn any brighter.

Ray

Back