How can we Encourage ICE drivers to adopt EVs?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Electric4Me said:
ERG4ALL said:
I started this thread to get as many suggestions as I could so I could perhaps thwart some of the anti-EV articles that are appearing now. Thanks to you all for helping. Please feel free to spread this around.

Easier less costly maintenance. No oil changes, fuel filter changes, injector treatments, air filter changes, radiator flushing, gas additives, etc.

Don't get too carried away. A leaf still has a radiator that will need flushing periodically.
Still has an air filter too...

I assume ERG4ALL was referring to the the ICE air intake filter not the cabin filter. General point is less mechanical maintenance, less fluid consumption (even though it still has a radiator isn't it significantly smaller than a typical ICE) and less consumables.

It actually has two uses of coolant. The first is for cooling the motor and the second is used to transfer heat from the heater into the engine compartment. You'll notice I didn't say that it didn't have radiators, I just said that you wouldn't have to flush them. The PT Cruiser that I traded in only listed flushing to be done at 60 months or 100,000 miles. I believe the same goes for the LEAF. Plus, I was told at the dealer that those were good for 100,000 miles. Most people will be long gone to generation II, by that time, so for the casual viewer, they really won't have to worry about flushing radiators at least for a long time. With modern coolants the days of annually flushing the radiator are gone.
Regarding air filters I was referring to an engine filter. Many cars ICE or not have cabin filters.

Correction: The manual says radiators don't need to be serviced until 120,000 miles or 15 years.

Once I will have my Leaf I will volunteer my time and my Leaf to local dealers and other interested parties in order to increase awareness of this future transportation technology. I will provide test drives, and educate ICE drivers on benefits of switching to EV. Even without Leaf, I believe, I already accomplished a lot by making a lot of people here interested in EV. But, being able to show Leaf, will really help in my quest to convince people to EV and clean energy.

Check around. Many areas have shows going to promote green.
here in olympia we have on show promoting green living on april 16 th we are showing EVs free. Booth costs normally in the $400 and up range. We also have the (Lacey alternative fuel fair and electric car rally I will be at as well so definitely ways to spread the word!

We drove the car to the chiropractor (unrelated to riding in the car). He was interested enough to come outside and I turned it on and showed him the various read-outs and gave him the "Reasons to Drive and EV". With just a little effort we can do a lot of good to get this technology accepted. My thanks to all that take the time to do so. I think many times people won't ask questions if you don't mention the car to them.

For anyone in the Santa Barbara area the weekend of April 16. The Community Environmental Coucil is having its 12th annual green car show.

http://www.cecsb.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=78&Itemid=112

There is also a ride and drive planned. If we could get more than 1 LEAF in the area they might be able to include it in the ride and drive.

My LEAF slipped from April to May so it is unlikely to be available to support the event. Maybe someone else out in the community that we haven't heard from?

Easier less costly maintenance. No oil changes, fuel filter changes, injector treatments, air filter changes, radiator flushing, gas additives, etc.

Oil changes are only $25/twice a year for most cars.

Most fuel filters don't need changed. Most vehicle's fuel pump will go out before you would need a filter.

Injector treatments and additives are not necessary and not required maintenance.

Air filter changes are once every 20,000 miles. It's $10.

Radiator flush/fill isn't required until 60,000 miles on most cars.

Most EV owners are installing the EVSE at up to $2000. That's much higher than all the maintenence items combined.

Train said:

Most fuel filters don't need changed. Most vehicle's fuel pump will go out before you would need a filter.

Injector treatments and additives are not necessary and not required maintenance.

Most EV owners are installing the EVSE at up to $2000.
OThat's much higher than all the maintenence items combined.

Wow u need to supply me some parts!!

Around I am paying and more for nearly everything u have mentioned

Train said:

Most EV owners are installing the EVSE at up to $2000. That's much higher than all the maintenence items combined.

Wow!! That's amazing. It has been 20 years since I have seen prices that low. Maybe I am out of touch. The recent regular services for our ICE cars have been $125 - $500.

Most of the poeple I have talked to about the LEAF do not plan to install L2 charger, just use the L1 that came with the vehicle.

Price of gas of course will go up to same or more like other countries around the world but bigger problem is that we compete for oil with more and more people. I do not want to emphasize environment. EV and solar is the way to go.

Yesterday as Phoenix heats up we're starting to use the A/C. I was amazed at how well it works even in the ECO mode. Also, it only draws about 500 Watts. We drove all over doing errands and as we were on the last leg of our trip it forecasted that we had 57 miles left and would gain only 1 mile by turning off the A/C! :eek:

ERG4ALL said:
Yesterday as Phoenix heats up we're starting to use the A/C. I was amazed at how well it works even in the ECO mode. Also, it only draws about 500 Watts. We drove all over doing errands and as we were on the last leg of our trip it forecasted that we had 57 miles left and would gain only 1 mile by turning off the A/C! :eek:

The heater is an energy hog.

The A/C uses surprisingly little energy.

I think the fans themselves use more energy than the A/C unit itself!! ;)

Hope someone will read what is here and we will be back on track with this topic. Leaf quality is very good, but delivery slow and tier 3 reservation (NC, GA, FL) delayed by 7 - 8 months. What will be the reason, in my opinion USA (especially initial states) response is not what Nissan expected therefore, they going slow. I see that some people said that if no $5K CA rebate/credit, car will be to expensive for them, but we can't count that federal $7.5K will last forever (cash for clunker perfect example - finished much earlier than initially announced). I know that initial states people done a lot to get this thing going but much more is required. I think that all people that have cars already should propagate them everyday to get initial states really going. I talk to thousands here in OK and get especially young people really interested, but for us long way to even start reservations (probably around middle of 2012 at best). Initial states are testing ground for Nissan and your response is critical to future of Leaf in USA. Nissan put a lot of money into EV but have to make profit selling them and if not we know what will happen.

Let's do all we can to get the word out to ensure that the LEAF has a future. As I've stated before in my case at least the car we traded in cost $3.80 to go 20 miles, the LEAF costs 15 cents. It is so inexpensive that we've even started to take the LEAF instead of our motorcycle. The motorcycle gets about 40 miles to the gallon, but that still can't compare to the LEAF.

I agree about cost savings! It knocked me out of my chair when I got the real world results for our first 1800 miles of driving. The LEAF and other EV's have a very bright future because people are tired of the oil monopoly. Americans want freedom of choice and practical EV's give that. In the end, most people will discover on their own how much better EV's are and some will still think the center of the known universe is Texas. I plan to focus my efforts on the people that want a choice :!:

Honestly, the first thing that got me thinking about EVs years ago when I first got my EV1 was how much I hated having to stop for gas on the way home. The environmental factors were great, but convenience was the first thing that made me look further into the idea of driving an EV. So I think the plugging in at home is a great benefit and one maybe a lot of folks don't think of.

Been over 10 years since I've bought gas and soon I'll have my Leaf! (it'll be my 3rd EV)

EdmondLeaf said:
Hope someone will read what is here and we will be back on track with this topic. Leaf quality is very good, but delivery slow and tier 3 reservation (NC, GA, FL) delayed by 7 - 8 months. What will be the reason, in my opinion USA (especially initial states) response is not what Nissan expected therefore, they going slow. I see that some people said that if no $5K CA rebate/credit, car will be to expensive for them, but we can't count that federal $7.5K will last forever (cash for clunker perfect example - finished much earlier than initially announced). I know that initial states people done a lot to get this thing going but much more is required. I think that all people that have cars already should propagate them everyday to get initial states really going. I talk to thousands here in OK and get especially young people really interested, but for us long way to even start reservations (probably around middle of 2012 at best). Initial states are testing ground for Nissan and your response is critical to future of Leaf in USA. Nissan put a lot of money into EV but have to make profit selling them and if not we know what will happen.
Not really cool to copy/paste the same off-topic comments to multiple threads.

ENIAC said:
EdmondLeaf said:
Not really cool to copy/paste the same off-topic comments to multiple threads.
If this is of topic here than I guess the best way to encourage ICE drivers to switch is to discuss if oil change cost is $25 or more, but where I will qualify by changing oil myself and disposing it at Walmart? All that have cars already, promote them so rest will see that in fact this is real car that drive much better than ICE.

Back