New Petition To Make Nissan Cover 100% of 2G Upgrade Costs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
reeler said:
T-Mobile hasn't turned off their 2G network. How about they just send out a new SIM card or let us use our own.

You might be able to make it work, with your own T-Mobile SIM card, but then you would have to pay the monthly fee that Nissan is now paying. Consider the ongoing monthly commitment versus the one-time hardware upgrade fee.

Deoc said:
Is just simple!!!!!!never buy a nissan ever again!!!! i'm no happy with all this **** nissan is doing and i will never buy a nissan again, as soon as i can get a tesla i will get rid off my nissan, probably junk it because isnt gonna be worth nothing!!!!

THAT'S WHAT CAPITALISM IS ABOUT BAD COMPANIES GET LESS COSTUMERS!!!!

GM seems to have recovered from their issues with the OnStar conversion from Analog to Digital many years ago. I'm sure Nissan will come out of this okay. Is losing the remote features of the Leaf such a big inconvenience that you would rather scrap the car than pay the $199 hardware upgrade fee?

I likely will never buy a Nissan again but it had nothing to do with the telematics... ;)

baustin said:
Deoc said:
Is just simple!!!!!!never buy a nissan ever again!!!! i'm no happy with all this **** nissan is doing and i will never buy a nissan again, as soon as i can get a tesla i will get rid off my nissan, probably junk it because isnt gonna be worth nothing!!!!
THAT'S WHAT CAPITALISM IS ABOUT BAD COMPANIES GET LESS COSTUMERS!!!!

TomT said:
I likely will never buy a Nissan again but it had nothing to do with the telematics... ;)

You've made that abundantly clear in many posts over many months...even though you no longer own a Leaf! Time to move on...

arnis said:
We get back to "dear customers, our vehicles will fail within warranty period due to other company not
supplying us signal that is outdated. As other companies move ahead and we don't your Leaf will
fail within warranty period. We knew that it will fail and did nothing to avoid that.
If you want it to be fixed you pay for it. Thank you
" situation.

Also due to the fact that Mitsuba is not offering windshield wiper motors you have to pray that it will not fail on your vehicle.
They told us that a year ago. And we warned you that if 3rd party fails to supply us cookies for free we will not be responsible.

You see, that isn't an excuse. I buy a product. It is made out of thousands of different parts. If supplier of any
part or service fails the one who took your money is legally liable for supporting you until warranty runs out.

Technically in EU this is the dealership you bought the car. So even if Nissan declares bankruptcy I have to get repair from dealership.
if they can't fix it they have to take back the vehicle and return the money.
Something like VW does with vehicles they are unable to fix cheaply enough.

your statement is crazy!!

for one thing; the 2G system in the LEAF did not fail... It will still work with any available 2G signal. get it?

baustin said:
arnis said:

Cars and phones are different devices. Cars are expected to last longer. Even in environmental point of view.
If Nissan forces users to scrap 2013 Leafs then that is a huge red flag on emissions.
Planned obsolescence is a thing but doing it so ignorantly can not be tolerated.

I'm sorry, but this statement makes you appear ignorant. Nissan is not going to make anyone scrap a 2013 Leaf. The 2G radio is not an integral part of the vehicles function, and is not required for it to operate or be driven. The loss of the 2G radio connection is an inconvenience for the driver, but does not prevent the car from being driven. Nissan has offered a solution. It is up to the owner of each vehicle to determine if the functionality of the CarWings/EVConnect Service is worth the $199 hardware upgrade fee required to keep it operational.

A product is a product. Imagine your vacuum cleaner does not retract cord any more. Yes you can use it but product is broken.
In some certain situations it is not possible to use the vehicle due to range limitation. Frozen windows which require a lot of power during the trip. That kills range.

arnis said:
baustin said:
arnis said:

Cars and phones are different devices. Cars are expected to last longer. Even in environmental point of view.
If Nissan forces users to scrap 2013 Leafs then that is a huge red flag on emissions.
Planned obsolescence is a thing but doing it so ignorantly can not be tolerated.

I'm sorry, but this statement makes you appear ignorant. Nissan is not going to make anyone scrap a 2013 Leaf. The 2G radio is not an integral part of the vehicles function, and is not required for it to operate or be driven. The loss of the 2G radio connection is an inconvenience for the driver, but does not prevent the car from being driven. Nissan has offered a solution. It is up to the owner of each vehicle to determine if the functionality of the CarWings/EVConnect Service is worth the $199 hardware upgrade fee required to keep it operational.

A product is a product. Imagine your vacuum cleaner does not retract cord any more. Yes you can use it but product is broken.
In some certain situations it is not possible to use the vehicle due to range limitation. Frozen windows which require a lot of power during the trip. That kills range.

Maybe it is a language barrier, but you are just really out there. Nothing you wrote is in any way related to your previous insinuation that Nissan would be forcing people to scrap Leafs because the modem no longer has a network to connect to.

There is a difference between products and services. Your postings about products and warranties do not relate to an add-on service that no longer functions due to the network disappearance. Even if what you posted made any sense, none of the EU regulations would have any bearing on how things are done in the US.

At the moment Nissan was informed that 2G will be dropped (100% certain)
they are totally responsible for building more vehicles that break down at that predefined moment.

If you produce washing machines that were tested by 3rd party and results say that appliance will
not work in 2017 due to integrated clock crashing the timer function starting at date 1.1.17.
And now people with washing machines (with warranty) wait for that date knowing that you are not
going to fix that even though you knew they will fail due to date. You blame somebody random and
warn people that their machines will not have timer function in 2 years.

You think you as a manufacturer can do this kind of BS to customers without consequences?

There is no difference between cellular network upgrading their hardware and time moving on for
you as a manufacturer of something. You are responsible if you knew the problem definitely exists.
It is not an unavoidable outcome nor force majeure.

arnis said:
At the moment Nissan was informed that 2G will be dropped (100% certain)
they are totally responsible for building more vehicles that break down at that predefined moment.

If you produce washing machines that were tested by 3rd party and results say that appliance will
not work in 2017 due to integrated clock crashing the timer function starting at date 1.1.17.
And now people with washing machines (with warranty) wait for that date knowing that you are not
going to fix that even though you knew they will fail due to date. You blame somebody random and
warn people that their machines will not have timer function in 2 years.

You think you as a manufacturer can do this kind of BS to customers without consequences?

There is no difference between cellular network upgrading their hardware and time moving on for
you as a manufacturer of something. You are responsible if you knew the problem definitely exists.
It is not an unavoidable outcome nor force majeure.

Not a great example, it would be more like the washing machine had a subscription feature that alerted you via text when the wash cycle was complete, and the manufacturer gave you free use of the subscription feature indefinitely but advised that you would be subject to the subscription fee if you continued to use it once they stopped offering it for free. Then the feature no longer worked (washer still works fine otherwise) due to the 2g text service being shut down.

It would probably be better for Nissan if they just started charging a subscription fee of, say $100/yr with 2 yr minimum (same as current upgrade fee). That way they could avoid litigious whiners, instead of continuing to offer a subscription based service for free. However, it is better for anyone who will own the car for 2+ years, just to pay the upgrade and continue to receive the subscription service for free.

They can't ask money for that lousy service. If it fails couple of times per months
that pretty much means refund for that specific period.

All it really does is only 4 functions: refresh random range number (surrealistic), activate climate, deactivate climate, start charging.
All those data graphs are worthless as they are completely off due to "Agree" button consistency and signal availability.

You can't ask even 20€ per year for that (or if you do less than 10% will pay). That means Leaf is not connected. That means like
having SL-SV with S functionality. That means SL/SV will not sell like before. That means less profits.
Nissan would be really f***** if they screw up this small thing that kinda works. It would be worse than iMiEV.

Are we seriously trying to get Nissan to make an older car newer with the 2G upgrade, one thing a lot of you don't seem to grasp, is it's a Japanese company, that doesn't like cars older than 2 years, 4 years old in Japan is expensive to re-register, trying to make them liable for old tech is nuts, just like expecting them to do a battery upgrade available. unless gigafactory comes with something, your battery gets old/wore out, time to get a new car, you know kind of like a cell phone, did we expect the side kick to still be around. I got the letter for the 2g upgrade for $199. I'm still on the fence cause, I don't use any of the features from car wings. charger monitoring comes from a juice box charge monitor, and well, don't need remote pre cool/heating.

Back