Nissan LEAF - Buy the right to purchase my LEAF from me

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to mention Nissan is probably watching this little affair to see what dealer plays along with this an allows an order to go to another buyer VS their inventory. You can't just buy and resell a car and the dealer will likely pull the plug on this or it will be such a late delivery since the reservation holder is lacking quite a bit of information on this entire process.

EVDRIVER said:
Not to mention Nissan is probably watching this little affair to see what dealer plays along with this an allows an order to go to another buyer VS their inventory. You can't just buy and resell a car and the dealer will likely pull the plug on this or it will be such a late delivery since the reservation holder is lacking quite a bit of information on this entire process.

If I decide to sell my Leaf the same day I take delivery of it, I don't see how Nissan, the dealer, or anyone else can do anything about it. I can certainly go down to my local Toyota dealer this after, buy a new Prius, and sell it to someone else tonight. The transaction for the Leaf is no different unless Nissan plans to produce a sales contract that forbids the resale of the car for some period of time (which I believe would be illegal).

Whether this particular seller actually has anything to sell is a whole different question which still seems unresolved.

Of course, there are better ways to go about this but they don't need to be vetted here - it's not the purpose of this forum.

The federal tax credit is what throws the monkey wrench into attempts to easily "resell" the Leaf registration.

From The Federal web site:

Quote:
The following requirements must also be met for a certified vehicle to qualify:

* The original use of the vehicle commences with the taxpayer—it must be a new vehicle.
* The vehicle is acquired for use or lease by the taxpayer, and not for resale. (The credit is only available to the original purchaser of a new, qualifying vehicle. If a qualifying vehicle is leased to a consumer, the leasing company may claim the credit.)
unquote
Doesn't seem to be any wiggle room here.

The prospective reseller has two choices:
Buy the leaf and immediately resell to the third party. The reseller takes the tax credit and compensates the third party as part of the resale, at whatever value they agree on. Since this is a private sale, Nissan or the dealership have no say.

Go to the dealership a delivery time with the third party and present to the Dealer like this:

Hi, I'm here to pickup my Leaf, but my "friend" here is going to pay for it and take title. Then the "friend" is eligible for the tax credit. The dealer reaction to this is where it gets interesting. There is no contractual obligation of the dealer to accept payment and transfer title to anyone but the person with the order. So the dealer could say, OK, whatever, and go along.

Or the dealer could say, if you, the person with the order, are not taking delivery, that means you are canceling the order and I'm putting this leaf out on the showroom floor. Your "friend" can go talk to one of our salespersons if he likes.

I'll be betting on the dealer taking the later position, unless there is some prior arrangement with the dealer.

Yes - thanks Charlie. I forgot to mention that the tax credits are a different story.

Also - in your scenario, if the car is a hot seller and the dealer has a chance to pick up an orphan because you don't want to pay for it - why would they sell to someone else you bring in at your negotiated price? With an orphan, they have the chance to sell it well above MSRP which the don't have with the pre-negotiated prices.

LakeLeaf said:
Yes - thanks Charlie. I forgot to mention that the tax credits are a different story.

Also - in your scenario, if the car is a hot seller and the dealer has a chance to pick up an orphan because you don't want to pay for it - why would they sell to someone else you bring in at your negotiated price? With an orphan, they have the chance to sell it well above MSRP which the don't have with the pre-negotiated prices.

Yes, that is what I meant by my cryptic " your friend can go see a salesperson".(and we plan to get all the money we can, or put your friend on our local dealership waiting list, and let him bid against others, etc)

The point, as you said, is that it's an orphan and the dealer can do as he pleases, the resellers deal with the third party is poof.

I think the only way this scenario works for the reseller is if the dealer is a real friend. ;)

the first doesn't conflict with Nissan or the dealer, but I'm having trouble coming up with a private arrangement about the tax credit that doesn't significantly disadvantage one of the parties. Someone is going to be out $7500 for 9 months to a year.

What if someone leases the vehicle and then immediately puts it on leasetrader.com? Then the tax credit is a non issue? The could then negotiate a fee on top of the lease plus the lease transfer fee.

Just a thought, I've never done leasetrader, so I don't know.

~Dave

charlie1300 said:
* The original use of the vehicle commences with the taxpayer—it must be a new vehicle.
* The vehicle is acquired for use or lease by the taxpayer, and not for resale. (The credit is only available to the original purchaser of a new, qualifying vehicle.)

The prospective reseller has two choices:
Buy the leaf and immediately resell to the third party. The reseller takes the tax credit and compensates the third party as part of the resale, at whatever value they agree on.
By the rules you quoted, neither one of them would be eligible to claim the credit under this scenario. They specifically prohibit a "reseller" from collecting the credit, so the original purchaser will not be eligible for it if he sells--it must be "acquired for his use." It also prohibits the buyer from collecting the credit, because he is the second owner and technically it is a used car at that point. The rules state it must be a "new vehicle." Strictly speaking, the taxman would win on this deal, not the two parties involved in the scheme. Plus they would pay local sales tax twice. It is not a very smart thing to do, but some people have more money than brains....

TT

This seemed like a pretty simple matter when I first developed the idea. The fly in the ointment definitely seems like it will be the tax credit. I guess I could take a serious leap of faith and deduct the tax credit from the purchase price, and then I claim it for myself. Not sure that feels very comfortable.

Sorry I may have got a bit defensive in my earlier posts, but I don't react well to being called dishonest when I am certainly not. I may have been uninformed, but I am not a liar. Also I don't react well when someone like "gonewild" insinuates himself into my business when (a) his assumptions were wrong, and (b) it was none of his business to interfere with a fully legal eBay posting and takes it upon himself to make a claim to eBay that it was fraudulent. I wonder what it's like to be someone as superiorly authoritative, knowing, and moral as he obviously believes he is.

I'm leaving the forum now (permanently). Thanks again to all those who were genuinely helpful and constructive. I'll report back here in the future on how the whole LEAF transfer thing turned out (if it indeed does).

sounds like leasetrader might work, I also know nothing about it.

Guess my general point is that reselling your registration for a profit is not so straight forward, and would any buyer feel it was worth it to get into a complicated deal. If I had missed the boat on the Web registration and now really wanted a leaf, I would go down to my favorite local Nissan dealer and get on a local waiting list. As commented by many here, there will be orphans, and Nissan is going to leave the disposition of them up to the dealer, because it would be a nightmare for Nissan to do anything else. Plus I'm assuming regular ordering directly thru the dealer will commence as soon as the 20,000 reservationists are given an opportunity to order. Seems like a better plan than trying to buy someones registration.

cp101 said:
This seemed like a pretty simple matter when I first developed the idea. The fly in the ointment definitely seems like it will be the tax credit. I guess I could take a serious leap of faith and deduct the tax credit from the purchase price, and then I claim it for myself. Not sure that feels very comfortable.
The $7500 credit is lost in your transaction.

Don't even think about claiming tax credit if someone is stupid enough to bid. Afterall, you are leaving a fairly large paper trail with all these posts here & the ebay transaction.

I'm still not sure about your claims of "April 2011" delivery. I'm fairly sure that is optimistic.

Here is my take on making some "unethical" cash out of a reservation. Talk to the dealer. Tell him you will cancel the car just before delivery. This way the dealer will have a car on the floor to sell - may be for a couple of grands over MSRP. Ask him to give you a cut in that.

All this hassle, risk and time for the chance for $1K or so. Seems like a waste of time to me.

And "greedyopportunist2". I will be selling rides in my Leaf, starting bid, $5 a mile.

evnow said:
The auction ended with no bids (not sure if the duration was reduced) ...
The auction started 10/29 not too much earlier before the OP. It was listed as a 10-day auction, I believe. It was ended early, presumably by the Seller, on 10/30 @ 5:25a likely in large part due to various issues raised here during the first 24 hrs of the auction. There were several legitimate concerns with the specific offer, so probably all for the better.

EVDRIVER said:
And "greedyopportunist2".
I suspect he is not the only one looking to capitalize from his reservation 'spot'. At least, from what he said, he actually had intentions to order a Leaf, but just happened to get the Prius instead. (Not to mention, did not fully understand the ordering process.)

Just yesterday, I spoke to a co-worker who I learned also had a reservation for the Leaf. I was eager to share details and ordering experiences. However, I soon learned that while a multiple-Prius family, he had little intent of actually buying and holding. Instead, he was looking at the 'business opportunity' to buy and sell! I started to raise several issues and restrictions regarding the $7.5k ftc and $5k CA rebate that have been raised here. He seemed oblivious to these, not surprisingly. Something tells me there are many other such opportunists as part of the 20,000 reservationists. Opportunists, yes. Enthusiasts, maybe not so much.

JPVLeaf said:
Something tells me there are many other such opportunists as part of the 20,000 reservationists. Opportunists, yes. Enthusiasts, maybe not so much.
I think most such people will be in the later part of that 20K reservation. I doubt any of them will actually get any money finally - considering all the hoops through which they need to go through ...

Back