Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's exactly like the Toyota Yaris! :lol:

2008-toyota-yaris-3dr-hb-auto-s-natl-instrument-panel_100269052_l.jpg

It seems like they are trying to wean people away from the conventional expectation that cars need to have a grille.

Also, can someone tell me for sure, it is a hatchback like the model S?

[mod edit to consolidate sequential posts].

LTLFTcomposite said:
It is NOT a hatchback. The car has a trunk very similar to the Mazda 3 sedan.

https://youtu.be/16SWVS56aZU?t=3m24s

aarond12 said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
It is NOT a hatchback. The car has a trunk very similar to the Mazda 3 sedan.

https://youtu.be/16SWVS56aZU?t=3m24s
:( bummer, that cuts down on the versatility, might have to wait for the compact CUV version. They probably need to avoid too much cannibalization of MS.

That glass roof looks like it would be a hot box in Florida.

LTLFTcomposite said:
:( bummer, that cuts down on the versatility, might have to wait for the compact CUV version. They probably need to avoid too much cannibalization of MS.

That glass roof looks like it would be a hot box in Florida.

If the glass blocks the UV and IR it should be fine. Here's hoping. I would love a roof like that, I hope it isn't too much, as I don't think that will be part of the base model.

This is a prototype, people. We're still a year and a half at least from production. Things can change. Probably a lot of the major things will get tweaked, but I wouldn't get too worked up just yet over any particular feature. Elon already said there will be a 2nd reveal closer to production, where they will fill in more details.

cwerdna said:
They channeled Apple, for sure.

Really?

cwerdna said:
I'd imagine that execs and many employees at virtually all other automakers that have an EV program are shaking their head in disbelief at the lines and the above.

Hardly!

cwerdna said:
It'll be interesting to see if this will cause the Model S sales to tank.

Just a scaled Model S with lower profitability, i.e. greater losses.

Bottom line: A new financial concept to generate a needed cash infusion.

I like it! I don't think I'll be putting a deposit down though. It could be 2020 by the time a person like me actually gets it. I'd rather have a used Model S prior to that (or maybe the Leaf 2 if is like the latest concept).

lorenfb said:
cwerdna said:
I'd imagine that execs and many employees at virtually all other automakers that have an EV program are shaking their head in disbelief at the lines and the above.
Hardly!

cwerdna said:
It'll be interesting to see if this will cause the Model S sales to tank.
Just a scaled Model S with lower profitability, i.e. greater losses.

Bottom line: A new financial concept to generate a needed cash infusion.
That's a strange thing to say. You just trolling for replies? Their current cars are already profitable but they're spending all their income (and borrowing) to build out the infrastructure (and the massive, world-production-doubling, battery factory in particular) to reach their goals. Their goal is not to show a quarterly profit. It's to invest in our future. And their efforts are exemplary and to be lauded and duplicated, not dismissed.

It's a lot harder for Nissan as they need to maintain their existing ICE-based business. But Tesla's continued success will and is encouraging other manufacturers to get moving. Which is another of Tesla's stated goals – Elon knows they'll never be able to do this alone.

Silly rabbit.

lpickup said:
cwerdna said:
It'll be interesting to see if this will cause the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect, causing Model S sales to tank.
You know it will, but not for the usual reason.

The Model 3 is not a direct replacement to the Model S, so it probably won't consume sales of buyers that are truly in the market for a Model S class luxury sedan.

However, I think a lot of Model S buyers (or potential buyers) were buying WAY above their normal vehicle expenditures. Those buyers (and in terms of this discussion, those future buyers) will certainly wait for the Model 3. So I don't expect the pace of Model S sales to continue at the same rate it has in the past.
I've been concerned about this as well, but then perhaps it will work out. The scale of potential sales and demand for the Model 3 is and should be orders of magnitude higher. With the reveal of the Model 3, this additional exposure and promise of continued success may be enough to bring in the continued sales for the Model S and X, just as other manufacturers are able to continue selling their similarly high-priced vehicles while selling many more of their lower end vehicles.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/715952781895426048

@elonmusk
Thought it would slow way down today, but Model 3 order count is now at 198k. Recommend ordering soon, as the wait time is growing rapidly.

Tesla was going to keep some details of the 3 under wraps for now and I'm hoping for something like a HUD for the instrument panel. A center panel is too awkward and the whole interior seemed thrown together and unfinished (for example, the touchscreen display will be integrated into the dash in the production car). The instrument panel on the S is wonderful; why screw it up on the 3? I think there are some surprises being kept under wraps for competitive reasons.

I really hate that glass roof, I need to wear a broad brim hat when I drive to cut the heat and glare? And a glass roof reduces sound dampening and will increase noise. I also wonder where the windshield ends since those have to be replaced periodically around here due to rock damage and a big windshield could get expensive.

Reports from people at the event suggested that the car is a liftback like the Model S, as expected, so that's a plus, if true.

Edit: looking at a video picture it does look as if it is more of a trunk opening than a liftback, although I presume that the rear seats can be folded to allow a large cargo space.

dgpcolorado said:
Tesla was going to keep some details of the 3 under wraps for now and I'm hoping for something like a HUD for the instrument panel. A center panel is too awkward and the whole interior seemed thrown together and unfinished (for example, the touchscreen display will be integrated into the dash in the production car). The instrument panel on the S is wonderful; why screw it up on the 3? I think there are some surprises being kept under wraps for competitive reasons.

I really hate that glass roof, I need to wear a broad brim hat when I drive to cut the heat and glare? And a glass roof reduces sound dampening and will increase noise. I also wonder where the windshield ends since those have to be replaced periodically around here due to rock damage and a big windshield could get expensive.

Reports from people at the event suggested that the car is a liftback like the Model S, as expected, so that's a plus, if true.

From what I heard, pano roof will be optional

I agree, about HUD being likely present.

I wish we could see how the trunk opens up.. With the roof being one giant piece of glass (and judging by the photos) there may not be much of an opening for the trunk. The Bolt looks more practical in that regard... And seeing how pre-orders are close to 200k I'd guess I could get my hands on a Bolt two years before I could a model 3. I've extended my $236/mo lease on my 10bar Leaf for now but if the capacity drops too much this summer I might not even be able to wait for the Bolt.

In my viewing, it looks like the roof is two pieces of glass, separated by a center strip between the two glass pieces. I think this will facilitate the lift back aspect of the vehicle.

GregH said:
I wish we could see how the trunk opens up.. With the roof being one giant piece of glass (and judging by the photos) there may not be much of an opening for the trunk. The Bolt looks more practical in that regard... And seeing how pre-orders are close to 200k I'd guess I could get my hands on a Bolt two years before I could a model 3. I've extended my $236/mo lease on my 10bar Leaf for now but if the capacity drops too much this summer I might not even be able to wait for the Bolt.
With the caveat that the car is a prototype and could change, this post shows how the trunk opens:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/how-does-the-trunk-work-on-the-model-3.66939/page-2#post-1449395

Disappointing to me if it stays like this.

GregH said:
It's definitely a trunk, similar to Mazda3 as another poster noted.
There must be something about a plain old trunk that helps keep costs low lower, as evidenced by all the smallish sedans (mazda 3, sentra, civic, corolla etc) being some of the cheapest cars you can find.

javan said:
In my viewing, it looks like the roof is two pieces of glass, separated by a center strip between the two glass pieces. I think this will facilitate the lift back aspect of the vehicle.
Wasn't there talk of there being multiple versions at some point? Perhaps instead of a liftback they would introduce some sort of wagon/CUV version.

Back