Protecting the interior

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tagbert

We just got our Leaf and this is the first time I've ever had a car with such a light color interior. (previous car was black leather, about as far from the Leaf interior as you can get) I'm afraid to touch the mouse fur for fear of getting it permanently dirty. The dealer was trying to talk me into having them treat it with Zxilon (for $699!), but after reading some reviews of the product (and laughing at the price) I don't plan to go that route.

Has anyone tried putting Scotchgard on any of the interior pieces? I don't want to make thing worse but I have nightmares of how grubby the doors and the armrest will be in a few years.

I used 2 full cans of scotchguard on the seats and side panels/armrests. Didn't seem to do any harm; no real change in appearance.

That being said, I'm still going to be putting on some Wet Okole seat covers once my order arrives. Since it's a lease and we have a 140 lb American Mastiff waiting to use the rear seat I need a little bit more than scotchguard. Plenty of Wet Okole posts on the forum for more info. I'll be getting the camoflage pattern for it's extra dog-hair hiding abilities :lol:

camo-swatch-ap.jpg

After 9 months of daily use the interior seems just as clean as new. I'm even getting daily electroshock - it is an electric car - on exit. I've learned to use my elbow for discharge point but it's still a little annoying. I keep a microwipe handy for cleaning my hands, the steering wheel and keeping dust off the dash and readouts. I usually take 3 other folks to lunch every weekday so the interior is getting lots of use. I'm surprised at how clean the interior is holding up.

That's encouraging and I'm not sure that I want to use 2 cans of Scotchgard on the interior. I may wait a little to see or may just treat some of the likely trouble spots like the door "handle" area.

I used a full can of Scotchguard when I first brought it home almost three months ago and was pleased when a food spill wiped off without a trace after my wife noticed it about a week ago. I am planning on using another can now and repeat the process every couple of months or so.

Tagbert said:
That's encouraging and I'm not sure that I want to use 2 cans of Scotchgard on the interior. I may wait a little to see or may just treat some of the likely trouble spots like the door "handle" area.

If you do decide on Scotchgard, 2 cans really seemed like the necessary amount for good coverage when applying 2 coats as recommended. There is quite a bit of surface area when you add up front, sides and back of the front seats, side panels, rear seats, and armrest. I used the regular Scotchgard product. I think there is also an automotive version that is foamy and contains cleaners but since the fabric was new I didn't see the need to hunt it down. If you take the wait and see approach and decide to go for it after the fabric is a bit soiled then that version may be what you want.

I rubbed bear fat on mine, makes them water and stain proof and very soft.

To keep my Dutch Shepherd from falling into the back seat footwell, I filled the foot well with cardboard shipping boxes until it was filled to the level of the seat cushion. To protect the rear seat fabric from my dog's claws, I covered the seat with a universal bench seat cover of the proper width, then cut a heavy carpet piece that I set over the whole seat bottom and cardboard boxes. It gives my dog a wide flat surface on which to stand. I restrain him with a short lead that goes between his harness and a seat belt receiver. I also installed a dog barrier behind the front seat to further keep him in his place. He has full range of the back seat. I covered the black plastic and window controls with black electrical tape to prevent scratching. I added stiff cardboard pieces over the window buttons to prevent unauthorized window operations. I installed white vinyl tape over the door frame to prevent scratching there during ingress and egress since my car is glacier pearl. It's not bullet-proof but it's fairly dog-proof.

DogSeat.jpg

Nekota said:
After 9 months of daily use the interior seems just as clean as new. I'm even getting daily electroshock - it is an electric car - on exit. I've learned to use my elbow for discharge point but it's still a little annoying.

I have NEVER received static/electroshocks when exiting my Leaf. Could it be because of the seat covers (Wet Okole)? In response to the original question, I do notice the BACK seats (no seat covers) picked up a couple of stains which I took care of with Spot Shot, but they still have that "new" look because they just don't get used much.

ceejones said:
To keep my Dutch Shepherd from falling into the back seat footwell, I filled the foot well with cardboard shipping boxes until it was filled to the level of the seat cushion. To protect the rear seat fabric from my dog's claws, I covered the seat with a universal bench seat cover of the proper width, then cut a heavy carpet piece that I set over the whole seat bottom and cardboard boxes. It gives my dog a wide flat surface on which to stand. I restrain him with a short lead that goes between his harness and a seat belt receiver. I also installed a dog barrier behind the front seat to further keep him in his place. He has full range of the back seat. I covered the black plastic and window controls with black electrical tape to prevent scratching. I added stiff cardboard pieces over the window buttons to prevent unauthorized window operations. I installed white vinyl tape over the door frame to prevent scratching there during ingress and egress since my car is glacier pearl. It's not bullet-proof but it's fairly dog-proof.

DogSeat.jpg

Now THAT is one lucky Doggie! How about a photo of him in the Leaf? I'll get one of our Yorkie stretched out on the dash!

Dave

ceejones said:

Nice tips, thanks! I might not have considered protecting the black plastic until too late.

My kids left some stains in the back seat. One was a red smear. I was surprised how easily it cleaned up with some eco soap and water. I'm not as worried about it now. I bet a fabric/carpet scrubbing vacuum will do a great job. I still wish it was darker material.

N1ghtrider said:
I used a full can of Scotchguard when I first brought it home almost three months ago and was pleased when a food spill wiped off without a trace after my wife noticed it about a week ago. I am planning on using another can now and repeat the process every couple of months or so.
Did this end up working well for you, long term? I recall your Leaf ended up in an accident.

I just leased a '13 Leaf SV w/light interior (I don't like black interiors, wished there was sort of a medium/dark grey instead). Since I'm leasing, I really want to keep the seats and the 2 armrests clean. I was thinking of covers, but I'm not sure what, esp. for the armrests.

If Scotchguard really works, I'll give that a try.

cwerdna said:
N1ghtrider said:
Did this end up working well for you, long term? I recall your Leaf ended up in an accident.

I just leased a '13 Leaf SV w/light interior (I don't like black interiors, wished there was sort of a medium/dark grey instead). Since I'm leasing, I really want to keep the seats and the 2 armrests clean. I was thinking of covers, but I'm not sure what, esp. for the armrests.

If Scotchguard really works, I'll give that a try.

For the armrests, I bought a roll of vinyl Contact Paper from Home depot. It looks and feels like black leather. Cut to the general shape, stick and trim.. Very easy and can be removed and replaced at any time.

In the MY13 SL, which parts of the seats are leather, and which are made from a synthetic material?

Are only the perforated sections of the upholstery made from real leather?

What is the best way to clean and protect the non-leather parts? Thank you.

Back