Tesla Model X

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drove 450 miles today and got 335 Wh/mile. About 340 looks to be what they expected. Roads were half highway at 65 mph (there) and 70 mph (back) and half rural 60 mph roads but going through slower towns.

95% auto-pilot --- totally blown away by it. It was perfect on the highway and I made a couple corrections on rural (didn't wait to see if it would self-correct). No scary moments as I always had my hands on the wheel and with the rural drive was ready for anything. It limits to 5 mph over posted speed limit and that worked great.

Note the tires are pretty wide. I was at 44/45 psi (service center set this). Model S is 245 wide for reference.

Continental CrossContact LX Sport; Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season; ContiSilent
Front: 265/45R20 108V XL; UTQG: 480 A A
Rear: 275/45R20 110V XL; UTQG: 480 A A

Similarly drove 728 miles in past could days on a quick visit. Mostly a 70 mph interstate. Averaged 337 Wh/mile. As well last leg was pretty heavy rain where it appeared to get about 380 Wh/mile.

Drove 95% auto-pilot ... with hands on the wheel. It did great overall even in the rain. I took over a couple times in some unusual situations (odd hills with exit on top, construction with strange/sharp angled lines, etc, etc). No big deal as you just know if anything is not "normal" just pay *even* closer attention. Always drove with hands on the wheel and eyes ahead anyway.

Image: http://i.imgur.com/9NmSZei.png
9NmSZei.png

337 Wh/mi is what I got with my first year with the Model S so, you're doing pretty well.
My LEAF average was about 300 Wh/mi (yeah, not great).
I'm guessing you'll start easing to higher numbers when less of your miles are road trips.
How is the road noise?
I have found the new Model S's to be quieter than my '13.
Perhaps you haven't had enough time in an S to compare to your X.

sparky said:
337 Wh/mi is what I got with my first year with the Model S so, you're doing pretty well.
My LEAF average was about 300 Wh/mi (yeah, not great).
I'm guessing you'll start easing to higher numbers when less of your miles are road trips.
I've spent very little time in an S. It'll be interesting to see my X Wh/mi around "town". I do have 5 years experience with driving a Volt around town tho and getting good efficiency and range.
sparky said:
How is the road noise?
I have found the new Model S's to be quieter than my '13.
Perhaps you haven't had enough time in an S to compare to your X.
It varies significantly with the road condition and type as you could imagine. Probably similar to our two Volts even tho it is significantly heavier.

Overall, I am very impressed with them. "Foam" probably helps. Tesla service center set them to 45 lbs. Manual even says to run them at 50 lbs if you are towing.

http://www.continental-tires.com/car/technology/contisilent

Image: http://i.imgur.com/SscNG2s.png
SscNG2s.png

Now that the tires on my 70D have >4,000 miles on them, I'm seeing a steady decrease in my Wh/Mile. I'm sure that you'll see even better readings than 337 after the tires break in. If I recall, I'm now at 294 Wh/mile average since new, and dropping slowly. I see many 30 mile stretches where I'm averaging just over 250 Wh/mile, which is about what my Leaf was doing for the past year with limited regen.

Terrific interview with a Tesla owner here. Although it includes discussion about the owner's Model X (and Ss, and LEAFs), it ranges well beyond that. Via ABG:
When a conservative and a liberal talk about Tesla
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/03/18/tesla-model-x-randy-hansen-interview/

Please could someone explain the 8 year unlimited mileage warranty to me? I can't find it on the Tesla website! Many thanks in advance. :?:

Capetown said:
Please could someone explain the 8 year unlimited mileage warranty to me? I can't find it on the Tesla website! Many thanks in advance. :?:

What is your question?
The S has an 8 year, unlimited range warrantee on the battery and drivetrain.
I believe the X has the same.

Capetown said:
I just wondered what percentage of battery capacity would be guaranteed to be left after 8 years? :)

There is no specific capacity percentage.
Tesla expects the batteries to reach 70% capacity in 12-15 years.
So far, most reports have people on track for that.

Of course, a three year lease eliminates that as a concern if you are worried.

Zythryn said:
Capetown said:
I just wondered what percentage of battery capacity would be guaranteed to be left after 8 years? :)

So you are really saying there is no guarantee on the battery capacity!

Capetown said:
Zythryn said:
Capetown said:

So you are really saying there is no guarantee on the battery capacity!
AFAIA Tesla has never had a capacity warranty, just the typical materials and labor warranty, 8 yrs/ unlimited mileage for an 85+. GM's the same, so far. So, the two companies whose cars have the most effective ATM systems, and which are showing the slowest degradation, don't have capacity warranties. We'll see if that changes with the Bolt, as they intend to push the usable capacity much closer to the total capacity on that battery than they did with either the Volt or Spark.

The ~$80,000 base model X has reportedly been aborted before the first one was even delivered, even earlier than the ~$57,000 Model S was.

...Previously, the Model X was available to early deposit reservists in a 70 and 90 kWh version only. However the 70D has now been removed in favor of 5 more kWh.

As for the effect on the base Model X range? It gets a bump from 220 miles to 237 miles. One curious note on the 75D is that it has a lower reported top speed of 130 mph (vs 140 mph in the past).

We also note that the 75D isn’t a free upgrade, the base price of the Model X has increased from $80,000 to $83,000...
http://insideevs.com/tesla-introduces-model-x-in-75-kwh-version-75d-as-public-design-studio-goes-live/

Curious how anyone could still take the ~$35,000 Model 3 in 2017 promise seriously, give TSLAs history of missing it's own timetable and price projections so badly, on every vehicle it has ever manufactured.

BTW, do I have the forum record for most X's spotted in the wild, in one place randomly?

Saw three (all > $115,000 P 90s, of course) within a few hundred yards in Los Gatos last Wednesday morning.

edatoakrun said:
BTW, do I have the forum record for most X's spotted in the wild, in one place randomly?

Saw three (all P 90s) within a few hundred yards in Los Gatos last Wednesday morning.

I saw 6 or 7 in the parking lot in Rocklin when I was standing in line to put a deposit on a Model 3. I was in one place, but the X's were not all there at the same time.

And, yes, I take them seriously on delivering a car for $35,000. X price going up is not surprising when they switched from an SUV version of the S to something with LOTS more bells and whistles.

edatoakrun said:
The ~$80,000 base model X has reportedly been aborted before the first one was even delivered, even earlier than the ~$57,000 Model S was.

...Previously, the Model X was available to early deposit reservists in a 70 and 90 kWh version only. However the 70D has now been removed in favor of 5 more kWh.

As for the effect on the base Model X range? It gets a bump from 220 miles to 237 miles. One curious note on the 75D is that it has a lower reported top speed of 130 mph (vs 140 mph in the past).

We also note that the 75D isn’t a free upgrade, the base price of the Model X has increased from $80,000 to $83,000...
http://insideevs.com/tesla-introduces-model-x-in-75-kwh-version-75d-as-public-design-studio-goes-live/

Curious how anyone could still take the ~$35,000 Model 3 in 2017 promise seriously, give TSLAs history of missing it's own timetable and price projections so badly, on every vehicle it has ever manufactured.
Indeed, and they COMPLETELY missed what I posted at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7521&p=436085&hilit=%2457%2C400#p436085.

I doubt there will be ANY $35K Model 3 delivered by end of 2017. Eventually, there may be very few (ala what happened to the 40 kWh Model S) or none at all, ever.

Back