Tesla Model X

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zythryn said:
Some of these guys are so funny, all you can do is shake your head and see how long they can keep up the vendetta.

Until time itself ends. Once you're on my list, you're on my list. Only exception is when I'm taking advantage of you rather than the other way around.

In the olden days it was called "having principles". These days few people have any principles, so it's easy to understand why you might not recognize such.

wwhitney said:
mwalsh said:
The poisoned Koolade may look and taste delicious, but it will still leave your bloated corpse sitting in a pool of excreted bodily fluids once you've succumbed to it.
OK, I have to ask since no one else has: what grievous injury has Tesla done to you to warrant such rhetoric? I'm trying to stay neutral myself.

Cheers, Wayne

Tesla? Nothing. Tesla, if it were still under the control of Eberhard and Tapperning, would have my complete and utter support. It's Musk I have a problem with. And, no, I don't wish to explain why.

mwalsh said:
Tesla, if it were still under the control of Eberhard and Tapperning, would have my complete and utter support. It's Musk I have a problem with. And, no, I don't wish to explain why.
Marc Tarpenning circa 2012: [in 2008, ] Elon Musk becomes CEO. "I wish he had done that earlier," said Tarpenning. "Elon was the perfect CEO -- it was bold and out-there."

Seems that Musk had Tarpenning's complete and utter support long after the Eberhard dust-up. Perhaps Tarpenning doesn't have principles?

Regardless of who is at the helm at Tesla. I believe in the company, the car and the mission. And I agree with Tarpenning's assessment. I think we're all better off if Tesla succeeds and without Musk I doubt there would be models S & X, much less ~400k Model 3 hand-raisers.

My new Model X is being delivered on Monday. We will be a two EV family with our Leaf and our X. I ordered a white, 6 cloth seat, audio upgraded, charger upgraded, air suspension, tow package, non-premium packaged, model X 90D, and I'm really looking forward to its delivery here in rural northern California. We intend to tow a small trailer with it. Our 2015 Leaf (our second after the 2012 was totaled) will be our around the local area car. Our neighbors are starting to open up to the idea of electric.

javan said:
My new Model X is being delivered on Monday. We will be a two EV family with our Leaf and our X. I ordered a white, 6 cloth seat, audio upgraded, charger upgraded, air suspension, tow package, non-premium packaged, model X 90D, and I'm really looking forward to its delivery here in rural northern California. We intend to tow a small trailer with it. Our 2015 Leaf (our second after the 2012 was totaled) will be our around the local area car. Our neighbors are starting to open up to the idea of electric.

Congratulations!
May I ask what your masked Vin is? Ours is 39xx.
Should be getting ours, last I heard, within a few weeks.

I saw two Xs at Supercharger Stations last week while working my way across Colorado and back — first I've seen in the wild. One was a family from Chicago at the Denver Supercharger Station, on their way to Breckenridge. They needed some help with efficient Supercharging theory (driving at 85 is not the fastest way to make a trip!)

Current (June) Car & Driver has a test/review of the Model X P90DL. Short version: Generally love the car, the doors are stupid. Some quotes:

There's more to the Model X than just the silly Falcon Wing doors. But it will forever be known as the Tesla with the silly doors. . . .The rear doors release with an audible click, and then the electric motors whir as the doors begin their slow, skyward ascent. It's the Model X's big trick, and a dubious tie to the hubris of DeLorean, Bricklin, and Icarus. . . . These aren't mere gullwing doors, though; they're far more complex. . . . They're probably the smartest doors ever fitted to a car. But do you want complicated doors? Mostly you just want doors to open easily, quickly, and provide a large enough portal to let you into the cabin. . . . For as smart as these doors are, it turns out that even semisentient doors with echolocation are pretty dumb. And yet, the dumbest part of the Model X is the first thing you will show off. . . . There are no other electric SUVs* at the moment . . . . We should also note that there are no other SUVs with gullwing doors, but now we know there's a good reason for that.
Lots of praise for the performance, handling, noise level etc. and they like the windshield (at least when driving between L.A. skyscrapers), but mention the lack of 2nd-row seat folding as a negative (along with the "slow, silly, and impractical" doors). They also noted that the front doors, which also open and close automatically, apparently lack sensors to see if there's something in the way when closing, as one happily crushed the plastic bottle of water (not being willing to use a hand) they were holding between the door and jamb as a test. In sum, they've got the same complaints about the gimmickry and lack of Utility in a vehicle designed as a CUV that many of us have previously noted. The full six page article is definitely worth the read.

*Note, I consider any vehicle with a car- rather than truck-based suspension and uni-body rather than body-on-frame construction a CUV, not an SUV. They used to be so distinguished, but recently 'SUV' has been used more loosely to cover both categories - I'm holding out to keep the distinction clear.

GRA said:
*Note, I consider any vehicle with a car- rather than truck-based suspension and uni-body rather than body-on-frame construction a CUV, not an SUV. They used to be so distinguished, but recently 'SUV' has been used more loosely to cover both categories - I'm holding out to keep the distinction clear.
CUV doesn't apply either. Seems like the Model X deserves the "Sport" moniker much more than those ponderous Ford Ex-whatever or GM Tahoes. So, I'd keep the 'S' and agree with a 'C' for Crossover I guess.
SCV?

LTLFTcomposite said:
Wait... the middle row seats don't fold? Are they removable?

No.
The middle row seats are basically on thick posts.
The post will move forward, and tilt forward to allow more cargo if needed.
The X is primarily a people carrier, not cargo.

Some were disappointed, others preferred the people carrier aspect and are just fine with it.

I would be in the disappointed camp, not that it matters, as I can't afford one (or more precisely have no business affording one).
There were quite a few times we opened up the back of our Odyssey to transport a large item like a sofa or a sheet of plywood. Removing the middle row seats took some effort but it was great to have that versatility when it was needed. I guess the assumption is hipsters with v neck shirts and shadow beards don't do stuff like that for themselves.

LTLFTcomposite said:
I would be in the disappointed camp, not that it matters, as I can't afford one (or more precisely have no business affording one).
There were quite a few times we opened up the back of our Odyssey to transport a large item like a sofa or a sheet of plywood. Removing the middle row seats took some effort but it was great to have that versatility when it was needed. I guess the assumption is hipsters with v neck shirts and shadow beards don't do stuff like that for themselves.

No, that is unnecessarily insulting.
The X was designed for soccer moms.
They tend to haul kids around more than sofas.

So the priorities were:

1. Safety (this will be the safest vehicle in its class)
2. People carrier (with seating up to 7)
3. Ease of getting kids into and out of the car. The parents I know that have one love how easy it is to get kids/car seats into and out of the X.
4. Coolness factor. Here, Tesla admits they went overboard.

Becky50 said:
I am a bit surprised that I have already seen three of the Model X in use hauling kids around in San Jose.
Other than the Blue pre-production one I saw last year, I've now seen a production Model X twice (possibly the same red one), both this month. Once it was hauling two parents and picking up a kid, the other time it was just a single person commuting in it.

Considering how common the Model S is around here (I'm only 15-20 miles from the factory), I would have expected to have seen a Model X before this. But Zythryn is correct, the Model X was aimed at upscale soccer moms (and dads) who wouldn't be caught dead driving a minivan. It's massively overspec'd for that job, but then so's pretty much any large CUV/SUV used for the same purpose. Nice that it's at least safe, although Tesla could have achieved the same safety a lot quicker, lighter and cheaper if they hadn't decided to cut out a huge chunk of the roof (requiring lots of extra design time and stiffening) to accommodate the doors.

Just days ago, a family driving a Model X picked up an emergency charge at my home, but alas, we weren't here to see it. Our relatively new neighbors related their surprise at encountering a $115K Tesla with Falcon Wing doors here, so I explained how PlugShare works. Given the weight of the Model X (5300+ pounds / 2400+ kg), it seems a given that some owners will underestimate the amount of charge needed to climb from near sea level to 6100' / 1800m. In addition, new EV owners oftentimes fail to understand the effect of driving 80 mph / 130 km/h on the freeway. Particularly in the upper tiers of the EV market, I think we'll continue to see clamoring for larger batteries and more range for some time to come.

LTLFTcomposite said:

Wealth envy aside :p , I'd also be disappointed. However I wonder if the middle seats are simply "not simple to remove", or "impossible to remove". I would expect it to be possible to unbolt the seats and posts and thus create an open area. Or is there some protrusion that is welded and thus require metal cutting to remove?

Back