Tesla Model X

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reconfigurability of seating vs cargo space is a real advantage IMO. Those kids you're taking to soccer today may be the ones you're taking to college in a few years with a dorm room full of stuff. The much maligned minivan (aka loser cruiser) is the one to beat for versatility. Honda raised the bar (circa 1999?) with the Odyssey third row seat that dropped into the floor and others quickly followed, but second row, while removable, wasn't nearly as convenient, you had to physically remove them and stash them outside the vehicle. Still it's an intended use of the car. Having to break out tools to unbolt stuff is getting a little out there.
While ghastly vehicles by other measures the caravan and town and country really took it to an extreme with second row seats that fold into the floor. We rented them on occasion and boy did we get our money's worth :)

LTLFTcomposite said:
Reconfigurability of seating vs cargo space is a real advantage IMO. Those kids you're taking to soccer today may be the ones you're taking to college in a few years with a dorm room full of stuff. The much maligned minivan (aka loser cruiser) is the one to beat for versatility. Honda raised the bar (circa 1999?) with the Odyssey third row seat that dropped into the floor and others quickly followed, but second row, while removable, wasn't nearly as convenient, you had to physically remove them and stash them outside the vehicle. Still it's an intended use of the car. Having to break out tools to unbolt stuff is getting a little out there.
While ghastly vehicles by other measures the caravan and town and country really took it to an extreme with second row seats that fold into the floor. We rented them on occasion and boy did we get our money's worth :)

If you need to haul cargo, a minivan is tough to beat.
Again, the X is a people carrier, not primarily a cargo carrier.

Frankly, I think all SUVs are stupid vehicles which ought to be abolished. However, I recognize that the general market is in love with them.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Re the bold section, totally agree. When I was shopping for my current car (2003 Forester), one of the things that eliminated the then current CR-V was the fact that the rear seats had to be unbolted and removed to get a flat or nearly flat floor. Seeing as how I often sleep in the back on Scuba and X-C ski trips, that just wasn't going to cut it, compared to a car that required nothing more than flipping the seat backs forward (not quite flat in the Forester, but a low angle that met the flat cargo area with a flush seam, instead of having the seat cushions and the rest of the seats raised well above the cargo floor).

If I could have waited a few more months, the then brand new Honda Element's trick individual rear seats that flip up to the side or can be easily removed with no tools, providing a completely flat, unobstructed and heavy wear (no carpet, waterproof covering) floor would have been the ticket, even with the rear suicide doors (see i3). Talk about flexibility/versatility! But then the Element was really a disguised, short minivan, albeit just four person (plenty for me).

Recently drove my X over 3400 miles and 95% of that was using auto-pilot (Northern states). It was an excellent road tripping vehicle and the trip planner built-in software worked well. I would put in where I was going to stay and it sets waypoints at charging station locations along the route and told me how long to spend at each one to have about a 10% buffer. Time varied from 20-30 minutes and I charged longer usually at lunch. Sometimes I would have an appetizer at other stops as they were always by a few restaurants.

Traveled anywhere from 170 miles to 540 miles per day without issues. Varied based on if I was at the beginning of my roadtrip or at the end. I was visiting friends and family along they way and at my turnaround destination. At a family destination I plugged into a 50 amp (40 amp usage) for a air_compressor/welder and at a siblings dryer in the mountain cabin.

Via IEVS:
Due To Complaints, Tesla Will Send Model X Owners A Front Windshield Sunscreen Free Of Charge
http://insideevs.com/due-complaints-tesla-will-send-model-x-owners-front-windshield-sunscreen-free-charge/

I'm kind of surprised it took this long for the complaints to rise to a loud enough level. Glass roofs are great in theory, but most of the time when the sun's up they're lousy in practice. Cars' with moon roofs have had sliding sun covers for a couple of decades now, so it's pretty silly that Tesla didn't foresee the problem sooner. I'm glad to see that they're providing the shades free - considering the amount of other problems the Model X owners have had to put up with, and its price, they certainly should.

GRA said:
Via IEVS:
Due To Complaints, Tesla Will Send Model X Owners A Front Windshield Sunscreen Free Of Charge
http://insideevs.com/due-complaints-tesla-will-send-model-x-owners-front-windshield-sunscreen-free-charge/

I'm kind of surprised it took this long for the complaints to rise to a loud enough level. Glass roofs are great in theory, but most of the time when the sun's up they're lousy in practice. Cars' with moon roofs have had sliding sun covers for a couple of decades now, so it's pretty silly that Tesla didn't foresee the problem sooner. I'm glad to see that they're providing the shades free - considering the amount of other problems the Model X owners have had to put up with, and its price, they certainly should.

I don't think you realize or understand how dark the tint is starting at the rear view mirror and getting darker farther up.

Numerous times I've had the sun up in that area and it has not bothered me. I've had passengers in on several drives like this and they also confirm the sun with that dark tint is not an issue.

Hands down one of the top 5 favorite things about the Model X. Drove through Glacier National Park in MT (tree/mtn view) and downtown Chicago (tall buildings, etc) within a week. It is quite a different "open" feeling. Hard to describe without the personal experience!

Image: http://i.imgur.com/6i3LAFk.png
6i3LAFk.png

Image: http://i.imgur.com/jTuza8m.png
jTuza8m.png

scottf200 said:
GRA said:

I don't think you realize or understand how dark the tint is starting at the rear view mirror and getting darker farther up.

Numerous times I've had the sun up in that area and it has not bothered me. I've had passengers in on several drives like this and they also confirm the sun with that dark tint is not an issue.

Hands down one of the top 5 favorite things about the Model X. Drove through Glacier National Park in MT (tree/mtn view) and downtown Chicago (tall buildings, etc) within a week. It is quite a different "open" feeling. Hard to describe without the personal experience!

Image: http://i.imgur.com/6i3LAFk.png
6i3LAFk.png

Image: http://i.imgur.com/jTuza8m.png
jTuza8m.png

Great images to illustrate the point!
We have only had ours a week, but I LOVE the panoramic windshield and haven't had any complaints from passengers.

The most troubling time is near sunset when the sun is just above where the visor rests. Even then, it isn't that bad.
I can see how those in Arizona or somewhere like that may have trouble, but I hear more of these complaints from people that don't have a Model X than those that do ;)

As an aside, I was told many months ago that I would be getting a sunscreen, just not at the time of delivery. I don't believe this was a result of complaints.

Zythryn said:
The most troubling time is near sunset when the sun is just above where the visor rests. Even then, it isn't that bad.
BTW, I don't think you need to "lock" the visor in its horizontal magnetic place. It will actually stay if you pivot it up (ie. 2" from "locking" in to the most horizontal position).

Zythryn said:
scottf200 said:
GRA said:

Hands down one of the top 5 favorite things about the Model X. Drove through Glacier National Park in MT (tree/mtn view) and downtown Chicago (tall buildings, etc) within a week. It is quite a different "open" feeling. Hard to describe without the personal experience!]

Great images to illustrate the point!
We have only had ours a week, but I LOVE the panoramic windshield and haven't had any complaints from passengers.

I can see how those in Arizona or somewhere like that may have trouble, but I hear more of these complaints from people that don't have a Model X than those that do ;)

As an aside, I was told many months ago that I would be getting a sunscreen, just not at the time of delivery. I don't believe this was a result of complaints.
So the problem was foreseen, but they waited until after the $100k+ car's were delivered to deal with it? To say that owner A doesn't have a problem in their area is kind of irrelevant if the car will be used in a wide variety of climates, such as the U.S. provides.

I'm glad that Scott hasn't had a problem with it, but obviously others have, and I think the clip-on sun screen is kind of a band-aid solution for a car that expensive. On IEVS a Citroen owner has posted photos of the sliding shade that his far less expensive C3 (15k euros) with a panoramic roof came with: http://lemarin2.imgur.com/

There's some discussion that the Falcon wing doors may make this impossible in a Model X, which if so is just another point demonstrating their silliness.

The windshield was great having big open expansive views on my recent approx 3400 mile roadtrip to SD and MT.

Image: http://i.imgur.com/u3jvBZz.png
u3jvBZz.png

Image: http://i.imgur.com/qKa3Pu6.png
qKa3Pu6.png

This supercharge in Big Timber, MT was right behind a gas station (ok, it did have a gift shop, liquor store, and a *huge* gun/camping/outdoor selection).

Image: http://i.imgur.com/R6vECYk.png
R6vECYk.png

LTLFTcomposite said:
Liquor, guns, and superchargers, all with no waiting!
Did you at least have to walk outside to get from the liquor to the guns and ammo? Back in the '70s I was flabbergasted to see a store in Winters, California called "The Gun and Grog Shop". :shock: I wonder if this is still legal in California - I sure hope not. [Edit] Just checked, it's still there.

An exercise in the obvious...

2016 Tesla Model X: Range and Charging While Towing a Trailer

by Dan Edmunds, Director of Vehicle Testing on June 9, 2016

My trip to Flagstaff is complete. I successfully towed a teardrop trailer over 1,000 miles behind our 2016 Tesla Model X crossover SUV.

I'm not sure I ever want to do it again.

I can't blame the excellent Off the Grid Rentals trailer, a well-balanced rig that tracked straight and true throughout. Its feathery 1,260-pound weight was less than half the 3,500-pound rated towing capacity of our Model X Signature. Heck, this trailer weighs only about one-fourth of the 5,000 pounds a Model X equipped with 20-inch tires can tow...

The problems are numerous: towing speed, range, recharge time and the physical incompatibility of Superchargers when you roll up with a trailer. The first three issues are interrelated. That last one stands alone.

Unless you're merely towing across town, these issues conspire to make the Model X a very poor tow vehicle...

Total trip stats:

Towing distance: 1,003 miles (1,033 total)
Number of Supercharger stops: 11
Average stop time: 1 hour, 34 minutes
Average Energy consumption: 612 Wh/mile
Travel time: 40.25 hours (23.02 hours driving, 17.23 hours charging)
Average travel speed: 24.9 mph...
http://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-x/2016/long-term-road-test/2016-tesla-model-x-range-and-charging-while-towing-a-trailer.html

edatoakrun said:
An exercise in the obvious...<snip>
True, but it's always good to have actual numbers. We knew its towing range was going to be lousy, now we know just HOW lousy, Confirms my suspicion as to why Tesla needs an SC in Placerville as well as Folsom. There would appear to be no other way to get a Model X with tow up to Lake Tahoe. I wonder if even with Placerville, they can make it with a boat? I plugged the profile from Cordes Lakes SC to Flagstaff SC into GPSvisualizer, and that's not as much climb as from Placerville to SLT. From the low to the high point's just under 4k feet, vs. 5.5k+. U.S. 50's slower, though, and it's only 59 miles (48 to Echo Summit, then descent) vs. 78. It would be very tight. On I-80 from Rocklin, it doesn't seem doable at all, and they'd need to add another SC further up the hill as with Placerville.

As I've said before, X buyers are damn lucky Musk modestly only attempted to re-invent the door, rather than the wheel...

Updated Tesla Model X falcon wing door frustrates owners

A software update of the complex computer-controlled gullwing doors on Tesla’s Model X may have created a bigger problem than the one it solved.

In an update this past week, Tesla says it adjusted a set of sensors inside the car doors that helped detect whether something was blocking a door from closing. Now, owners of the flashy battery-powered crossover worry those doors could severely injure hands and arms that get caught between the door frame and the Model X’s body.

A YouTube video posted by MEtv Product Reviews on Tuesday, Aug. 30, shows the door slicing a regular-size cucumber in half...
http://www.autonews.com/article/20160831/OEM11/160839968/updated-tesla-model-x-falcon-wing-door-frustrates-owners

...But crushed vegetables aren’t the most alarming thing about this whole story. This specific example with the doors and the cucumber and pressure gauges is attention-grabbing, but it’s the unseen part that has me the most perplexed: if this proves to be accurate, this suggests that Tesla disabled a crucial safety feature of their customer’s cars without informing anyone. That’s a big deal...
http://jalopnik.com/did-tesla-quietly-remove-a-safety-feature-from-the-mode-1786000681

Over 15,000 miles in the past 6 months (picked up Mar 1st, 2016). More trips planned for Sept and Oct.

Some hiccups here and there but it has been fantastic overall. Great service. .

It has been outstanding getting the OTA updates for changes, tweaks, enhancements. One of the reasons I wanted a Tesla. Looking forward to the 8.0 update in a few weeks.

Can not imagine taking road trips WITHOUT AutoSteer and Traffic Aware (Adaptive) Cruise Control --- aka AutoPilot. WOW, what a much more relaxing way to travel.

So after 6 months of what seems like pretty significant driving what are your feelings about the Falcon Wing doors?
I ask this because recently I got to borrow an X for a day and had to deal with small kids in and out of car seats.
I found the doors to be very functional especially in a tight Trader Joe's parking lot.
I also got the most questions about the X when those doors were unfolded.

sparky said:
So after 6 months of what seems like pretty significant driving what are your feelings about the Falcon Wing doors?
I ask this because recently I got to borrow an X for a day and had to deal with small kids in and out of car seats.
I found the doors to be very functional especially in a tight Trader Joe's parking lot.
I also got the most questions about the X when those doors were unfolded.
Which is the main reason for them: I don't have pedestrian sliding doors like a minivan for the hoi polloi, I can afford a car with FALCON WING DOORS, and YOU can't. :lol: Speaking of which, via Engadget:
Tesla may have disabled the Model X's door safety sensors
https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/02/tesla-model-x-falcon-wing-door-sensor/

Back