The official "I actually have a new EVSE installed" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57025144@N04/sets/

Ok I have not had much luck with posting the pictures so I created a set in flickr. Hopefully you can see the pictures. If not let me know I and will get the second grader from across the street to help me. ;)

The install went off without a hitch. The team of Matt and Chris from Sunwest Electric did an excellent job. Bill Blindell from Ecotality came by and dropped off the meter box and disconnect. I believe this was the third install Matt and Chris had performed.

As you can see from the photos a second meter box was added. The box is feed from a 40 amp breaker in the main panel which runs to the line side of the meter box. The load side of the meter box is run to a disconnect and from the disconnect to the EVSE.

This is a little different than I thought the installation would be, as this requires the use of a subtraction method to determine usage. As the second meter is on the load side of the first meter. For those of you who care I do have the single line drawing of the install along with all of the supporting documentation from SDG&E, which I will scan into a single PDF file tomorrow and e-mail to all interested parties. As you can see I do not post much, but I do believe there is a way you can get a private message to me with an e-mail address.

Bill did inform me that he has 38 installs to get completed prior to year end. I believe 16 in San Diego County 4 in LA/Orange County and the rest in Washington, Oregon, and Arizona. He also mention that most if not all of the people on the list had been contracted.

Not much more to say...if you have any question please feel free to ask.

Glen

ts31825, thank you for the pictures. Congats on the installation!! Was there a reason why pipeing and boxes are outside the walls and not inside out of sight

ts31825, thank you for the pictures. Congats on the installation!! Was there a reason why pipeing and boxes are outside the walls and not inside out of sight

Jimmydreams said:
I'm just happy that PDXLeafer isn't wearing socks!! :lol:

Sorry, been off the board all afternoon. Got to choose my favorite quote to respond to :)

There were 4 there because one left to go to the other install in Beaverton that was originally scheduled for 1pm but the contractor decided to show up early - otherwise there would have been 5! The one that left was from ECOtality, as was one that stayed.

The other three were from McKinstry Electric - who did the install. Technically one person did the install, but as it was their first one, the trainer was there with him, as well as a Project Engineer that was there to make sure all of the paperwork (there was lots) was all correct. I think it was definitely due to it being the first one. The other install (that ended up happening at the same time) I believe only had 2 people there - one from ECOtality and the electrical contractor...

ts31825 said:
Not much more to say...if you have any question please feel free to ask.
Yeah - where are the rest of the pics of your Enphase PV installation!?!?! ;)

The EVSE install looks great - looks like you supplied the mounting board for the EVSE?

IBELEAF said:
More importantly... why are they wearing hard hats?

Oh that's simple, the hard hats cover up their tinfoil hats :)

A real answer is, most contractors "look and feel" more "official" wearing their hardhats....

IBELEAF said:
Can someone tell me after you had your EVSE installed using AV how long did it take for your dashboard to update?

It took 2 days for my dashboard to show the updated status.

Harv said:
IBELEAF said:
Can someone tell me after you had your EVSE installed using AV how long did it take for your dashboard to update?

It took 2 days for my dashboard to show the updated status.
Thank you. I called AV and they said they did not get an update from the contractor. And my contractor did not complete the inspection part yet... so hopefully we could get this done soon.

mwalsh said:
I may have missed it, but anyone down for getting their EVSE this next week?

Yep, me. Aliso Electric is coming out "mid-morning" tomorrow for my AV install. I guess I'd better get the area cleared in my cluttered garage. :roll:

Might be some showers tomorrow, too, and some of the work will be outdoors, so I hope there won't be problems with that. :lol:

Just had my EVSE Installed today. I am a EV Project participant so install was no charge to me. The Clipper EVSE was installed to be replaced by a Blink in 30 days after NRTL listing is received (UL in this case). Photos in the link below came from two cameras (HTC EVO cellphone and Fujifilm FinePix E900). The E-900 are far better. Seals it for me, cell phone cameras are just vanilla.

The installers were absolutely FANTASTIC ! (Sunwest Electric). These guys (Matt and Chris) were knowledgeable, courteous, prompt and professional. As a registered electrical engineer in California and Washington states, I've designed more than 200 low voltage (under 600 volts) commercial and industrial power systems on my own and have seen many installations in the past 30 years. This one is as clean as they get. They came in, we discussed the installation, told them my plans and interests, they listened, we discussed two possible wiring methods (NM - often called romex since they are a well known manufacturer of NM cable - and flex cable - steel flexible conduit) and decided on the flex for superior damage resistance. Conduit on the outside of the house was not necessary since I had an exposed inside garage wall to work with (see photos). The outside conduit would also have worked fine ever since science came up with a fantastic product to help out (paint). We worked around my future concerns for mounting closets in my garage, settled on a plan and they went to work. The cordoned off the work area with plastic chains and red cones for safety and even had a fire extinguisher they brought into the garage with them for quick access. They worked as a team for safety purpose and are both CPR certified. Seems they were well prepared +.

An additional meter was chosen by me (not required for the ECOtality EV Project) in order to get the 2 yr vehicle transportation experimental SDG&E time-of-use rate. The meter is installed in the 240v, 1 phase, 40a EVSE branch circuit to eliminate the need for dual service entrance metering equipment (thank you SDG&E for solving that one for us). For the record, a dual service would have cost me about $4,000. In addition, a non-fused lockable disconnect is installed along side the new EVSE meter (see photo link below) to allow safe maintenance of the EVSE without having to open the 40a panelboard circuit breaker. This was done to prevent power from being removed form the meter for normal EVSE maintenance. Ya don't want the meter battery dying any sooner than necessary since it's needed to power communications to the main house meter for ultimate billing purposes.

With a 1600 sf home with no air conditioning, I was able to remove my 30a dryer circuit and install the 40a EVSE branch circuit in its place and sill not exceed the NEC service entrance bus rating of only 100a !!! That's right, 100a main bus. If you are in the 100a service entrance equipment boat you need to do the code calculations to see if it fits. You can start with NEC 2008 Art 220.83 if you are so inclined. Your AHJ (authority having jurisdiction) may want a PE stamp on the design but then again, maybe not... usually not since designs are very standard for most residential power systems.

Now I'm just waiting on the AHJ to do the inspection, SDG&E to install the meter and the boat to land in Los Angeles harbor on the 20th (or 23rd??) with my red LEAF. In any case, it's coming on fast...

Malcolm :geek:

photos can be seen here:

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/15670224/1/LEAF%20ME%20-%20EVSE%20Install?h=548d8a

JPC2822 said:
Hey Boomer.
What is your electrician charging to do the install? What does the install consist of?

John

John, I decided to have the install done through AV. The cost wasn't too different from the best quote I got from independent electricians because I had to get a conduit run of over 60 feet, through an attic, across an atrium and into the garage. The quote breakdown is:
Custom install: $1,687
EVSE: $721
Permit: $115
Shipping: $50
Tax: $63
Total $2,636. less $100 for the assessment fee: $2,536.
(includes AV onsite replacement warranty in case of EVSE failure)

My independent electrician, Jason Wakefield, whom I had install my new 200 Amp main panel, would have run the wiring and conduit and added the breaker for $1,450, plus about $100 extra for connecting the EVSE.

If I'd bought the EVSE from AV, it would have been about $850, so $1,450 + $850 + $100 (to connect the EVSE) + $250 (permit+electrician permit labor time unless owner-builder permitted) = $2,650 and I was already out the $100 AV assessment fee. (AV cash and carry warranty only covers EVSE if shipped back). Jason would have given me a nice discount on my main panel install if I'd done both projects through him. I figure I spent about $150 extra by having AV do the install for the extra warranty coverage.

I'd recommend Jason Wakefield if you're looking for an honest, fair priced independent electrician. He runs his own company, which he took over when his dad retired. He's licensed and bonded. He gave me a great price on my main panel install and did a great, clean job, and threw in the connection of my TED power monitoring equipment in the panel as well. He's based in Orange County. (714) 883-5064.
Jason is interested in doing work for EV owners.

leafme said:
Just had my EVSE Installed today.

Malcolm, nice installation, to say the least! Your pictures reminded me that I need to clean out that part of my garage before the installers come tomorrow.

I wanted to get a dual meter setup for somewhat better TOU rates through SCE, and to save money on a main panel upgrade by adding a load center for the EVSE breaker, but SCE wouldn't allow a small meter socket like yours. They are phasing them out in their service area because the meter sockets weren't handling the charging loads for EVs well, or so they say. So I wound up getting a main panel upgrade and staying with a single meter TOU plan. At least that gave me space in my new panel to add TED metering equipment for my solar and the AV EVSE, which lacks metering.

Back