1 year service

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went in for my 1 year service today as well, at Mossy Nissan Oceanside. 6580 miles on the odometer. I dropped it off at 8am and got a call around noon that the service was completed and I could pick up my LEAF. When I got there, my car was washed and vacuumed and I learned that the service was free of charge ($0).

They did: Multi-point inspection, battery check, firmware update, and wash/vacuum. The inspection report was the standard form with "n/a" marked for the appropriate items: Fuel tank cap gasket, clutch operation, muffler/exhaust, engine oil, fuel lines, engine air filter, etc.

Battery check, all 5 stars for charging, driving and storage. I typically charge to 80% daily for my 16-mile roundtrip commute on weekdays, and 100% as needed for driving around town on weekends.

There was no mention of replacing brake fluid or cabin filter, and no tire rotation (I had actually requested it done at my 6-month service after hearing about all the tire problems on this forum, but my tires have been wearing normally and evenly). Tire pressure adjusted to 36 PSI on all 4 tires (which I will readjust to 40).

Can't tell yet what if anything has changed after the firmware update. I did not receive a new owner's manual from the dealer, but not sure it would fit in my tiny glovebox anyway. I downloaded the revised 2011 LEAF owner's manual in PDF format from http://www.nissanusa.com/content/dam/nissan/pdf/techpubs/leaf/2011/2011-leaf-owner-manual.pdf.

lambert said:
I went in for my 1 year service today as well, at Mossy Nissan Oceanside. 6580 miles on the odometer. I dropped it off at 8am and got a call around noon that the service was completed and I could pick up my LEAF. When I got there, my car was washed and vacuumed and I learned that the service was free of charge ($0).
Good to know, I'll be going there in a couple weeks.

lambert said:
I went in for my 1 year service today as well, at Mossy Nissan Oceanside...

So, in the last 24 hours after retrieving my LEAF from the dealer, I discovered that (1) charge timers were turned off and (2) Bluetooth was turned off, probably the result of default settings after the firmware update.

No big deal, but since I last touched these settings about a year ago, it took me several minutes to fish through the LEAF's menu system to get these things turned back on again. My original timer settings (timer1, timer2, days, time, 80%) and list of connected phones were still preserved, so I just needed to turn charge timers and Bluetooth back on.

lambert said:
lambert said:
I went in for my 1 year service today as well, at Mossy Nissan Oceanside...

So, in the last 24 hours after retrieving my LEAF from the dealer, I discovered that (1) charge timers were turned off and (2) Bluetooth was turned off, probably the result of default settings after the firmware update.

No big deal, but since I last touched these settings about a year ago, it took me several minutes to fish through the LEAF's menu system to get these things turned back on again. My original timer settings (timer1, timer2, days, time, 80%) and list of connected phones were still preserved, so I just needed to turn charge timers and Bluetooth back on.
I had the same issue with the charging timer being turned off. It's good to check, after the service as it might mess up your commute. I didn't have any problems with the Bluetooth.

I just took my car in and asked for the 1 year battery check. Dealer took the car and said no problem. They called a bit later and quoted me almost $300 for a brake fluid flush, tire rotation, and cabin filter replacement. Despite this being shady, I know this is pretty standard so I politely decline and moved on requesting only the 1 year battery check. But then he says they'll do the battery check, it runs $120. He told me that there is a charge because I didn't purchase a service contract. I had to tell him that he was mistaken and he agreed to look into it and of course came back and confirmed that 1 and 2 year checks are in fact included. I know other dealers do this too but it's unfortunate that owners need to be so defensive in order not to get ripped-off.

DTB said:
But then he says they'll do the battery check, it runs $120.
I'm sorry you got the runaround. OTOH, thank you for telling us the price for the battery check. I'm not sure I have seen that anywhere before.

What dealer was it?

By the way, when I asked the same question of Fontana when I was buying my car - what would it cost when I was past the first two freebies - they told me $55... So, clearly it will pay to shop around when we get to that stage!

DTB said:
But then he says they'll do the battery check, it runs $120. He told me that there is a charge because I didn't purchase a service contract. I had to tell him that he was mistaken and he agreed to look into it and of course came back and confirmed that 1 and 2 year checks are in fact included. I know other dealers do this too but it's unfortunate that owners need to be so defensive in order not to get ripped-off.

This making 3rd party battery monitoring devices cheaper and cheaper!
TomT said:
What dealer was it?

By the way, when I asked the same question of Fontana when I was buying my car - what would it cost when I was past the first two freebies - they told me $55... So, clearly it will pay to shop around when we get to that stage!

DTB said:
But then he says they'll do the battery check, it runs $120. He told me that there is a charge because I didn't purchase a service contract. I had to tell him that he was mistaken and he agreed to look into it and of course came back and confirmed that 1 and 2 year checks are in fact included. I know other dealers do this too but it's unfortunate that owners need to be so defensive in order not to get ripped-off.

TomT said:
What dealer was it?

The dealer was Keyes Woodland Hills Nissan. Have no idea where he came up with his numbers. His orig quote was not quite $300, it was actually $285. But if I subtract $120 for the battery check, that "only" leaves $165 for brake flush, tire rotation, and cabin filter change which seems too low. I really get the feeling he was just throwing numbers out there to see what sticks. He also mentioned a "charge port inspection" as part of the $120, have no idea what that is either.

It got me thinking though, if 1 hour labor is reasonable for a battery inspection, they actually stand to make more than they would off 2 or 3 oil changes per year, not to mention no hazadous waste to deal with. Plus cabin fliters, wiper blades, tire rotations, etc, there is still plenty of profit to be made on LEAFs, at least from the average consumer.

lambert said:
I went in for my 1 year service today as well, at Mossy Nissan Oceanside. 6580 miles on the odometer. I dropped it off at 8am and got a call around noon that the service was completed and I could pick up my LEAF. When I got there, my car was washed and vacuumed and I learned that the service was free of charge ($0). *
Had my 1 year battery report / firmware update / tech inspection today at Mossy Nissan Oceanside with what sounds like the same results. Very friendly employees, got me in/out quickly and didn't try to sell me anything. Even got a free rental, but I did have to put a bit of gas in it!

Only issue was that they didn't apply NTB-14-041 despite me specifically asking for it - their tech said that it "didn't apply".

I schedule my 1 year service and had my wife bring the car in.

She calls me and tells me they want to charge $350 to "rotate tires, clean brakes, battery cleaning (wtf), cabin filter and brake fluid flush." I told the guy "no, just the battery check, thanks."

I suppose he's just doing his job, but still..

ebill3 said:
Do service writers work on commission? Salary, or a combination?

commission

**edit** or i guess i should say, commission verses salary which would always be minimum wage.

FYI; a service writer would have about a 2 month career if they were at minimum wage. My Sis is a service writer and she is just under 6 figures but is also top writer at her store.

too bad she has to work 50 hours a week (typical in the industry but at least she negotiated Sat off...)

Becky50 said:
Interesting info. What is the job description of a service writer? How does their income compare to that of the mechanic? Thanks.
Becky

The service writer gathers the info from the customer, relays it to the mechanic and the mechanic checks the car out the gets back to writer who informs customer on recommendations. in most cases, the service writer may or may not take mechanic's recommendation.

Everyone at an auto dealership gets paid commission with the exception of a handful of office people, the "wash pit" and the lot attendants.

for Mechanics (a good one is in the 50-75,000 range. now this is WA and the handful of Ford dealerships I have worked at. have no info on anyone else but most dealerships work pretty much the same in this area) they are paid a percentage of the assigned job value, as are the Service writers. Mechanics get a much higher percentage but Service Writers write a lot more . My Sis has a mechanic team she writes for that consists of 3-5 people.

now, before we go too far here; it is NOT in the best interest of a Service Writer to put stuff on the ticket the customer does not need. A service writer builds clientele just like any salesman does. the service dept is not a "first come, first serve" place. you can request a specific person to help you and most do.

At my Sister's old job (she changed to Oly to be more local this past Summer) she went on vacation for 2½ this past Spring, and the Service Dept had its lowest performance month in its history (they are like 6-7 years old) because people would call, find out she was on vacation and stated they would wait until she got back, so customer loyalty plays a huge role here.

She started in Oly (same place she is now) then took Service manager job in Renton. that dealership went out of business, so went to another place in Auburn for a year before moving to last place for 5 years then back to Oly. This area covers near 50 miles. There was actually a group of customers that followed her to every place she went to. hard to believe?? but it happens.

another reason she does well is "Spiffs" which are basically off the book bonuses. its like a $100 cash at meetings (which are usually held once a week) for top sales for district for the week and these come from Corporate directly. there is also a few the dealership provides but remember, dealerships are independently owned franchises and are generally VERY tight with their money.

**disclaimer** i dont have a lot of experience in the auto industry and there is no doubt that various dealerships and states have different ways of doing things so what i have described here may or may not be similar to what is going on at the dealership you frequent.

ebill3 said:
Commission at 90K plus? Well, that answers a lot of questions for this naive soul. :eek:

most of my Sis co-workers are in the 40-50K range and that is because they are in a big shop. there are service writers in the 30's as well. commission is a dog and keep in mind; a dip in the recession can cut your pay in half.

right now, the auto industry is in a huge upswing. it was only 3 years ago that my Sis was making less than half of what is making now. in a year, she could very well be back to that.

there is a huge turnover in the field because of this. that is one reason why she has so many followers. it takes time to learn the craft and she has been doing it for a while now

I paid $24.50 for the 7,500 mile checkup, which was to check the battery and rotate the tires. I normally would rotate tires myself, but thought it was cheap enough insurance that Nissan does not accuse me of failing to perform required service.

I had the LEAF in for the 18 month service today (at 20 months) and I came away with a few questions about traction battery checks.

Due to my own poor record keeping (and poor memory), I was under the impression that I had skipped the 12 month battery check and I wanted the 12 and 18 month services done combined (I later found my records and it was done on time after all). The service writer told me that the battery check would not be free of charge (usually paid for by Nissan) because I'm not at a 12 or 24 month time period. Instead, it would cost me $56 if I wanted it done, and he didn't recommend it. I asked him if not getting it done would affect my warranty coverage and he said that it wouldn't.

First question, if I had in fact waited until 20 months to get the 12 month battery check done, would my battery warranty be void or in jeopardy, or if I had gotten it done 8 months late and the battery tests out okay, am I good? Was the service writer correct to tell me that not having the check done wouldn't affect my warranty (assuming what he understood, that I'd never had the 12 month check done)?

Second question, is the service writer correct that if I'm late getting it done (not at a 12 or 24 month mark), I'd have to pay for the 12 month battery check that is normally covered free of charge by Nissan?

Back