2013 Easier way to switch between 80 and 100%

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidcary

I am a fairly new owner (I guess that is obvious with a 2013)

I have a pretty light usual daily mileage. But I am finding on my one day a week of higher miles, I'd like to go to a bit higher than 80% charge. What I really want to do is when I wake up, start charging again to get to 85-90% on days I need it.

I am still using 120V for now but have 6kw charger. I am going to rate plan that 6 months a year 9p-10a off and 6 months 9p-6a off.

Right now - I am set on 80%. I have to go out to car with key. Step on brake, start car, change menu setting, and then turn on charging - by unplugging car and replugging in. 2 days ago - I didn't do that last step (didn't realize I needed to) and left with 80% charge. Then yesterday, I left it at 100% and it took me all day to get back to 80% (short drive day). So last night I just didn't plug in.

Now I suppose I could use a timer and try to guess on amount of time needed but that has its own daily variations. I rarely want 100% - I really want 90%. Nissan really should have given more options for control. Or just let us do more by phone. I would be perfectly happy to change from 80 to 100 on the phone - or perhaps shut down charging by phone.

What to people do who want 100% or near it on some days because this is a pain?

What model do you have? If you have the one with Carwings you can just use Carwings to start charging. I do what you want to do, usually on weekends when we drive all around.

If you have a model S someone else will have to chime in.

davidcary said:
Now I suppose I could use a timer and try to guess on amount of time needed but that has its own daily variations. I rarely want 100% - I really want 90%. Nissan really should have given more options for control. Or just let us do more by phone. I would be perfectly happy to change from 80 to 100 on the phone - or perhaps shut down charging by phone.
Hopefully other modes besides 80% and 100% will be coming.
davidcary said:
What to people do who want 100% or near it on some days because this is a pain?
Since you mentioned the phone, I'll assume you have either an SV or an SL. Given that, you should have the same option we have in the 2011/2012s which is to set the timers to 80% but have the overrides (either the button or through CarWings) go to 100%. To do this in the 2013, I think you need to change ZeroEmission->Settings->Long Life Mode to OFF.

In the 2013 "S" trim level, it appears the timers and long-life mode are completely separate, so I don't know how people will manage that. Perhaps someone with an S can comment on how they switch between the two modes.

It is a good idea to charge up to 100%, but not good to let the battery stay at 100% for long periods. I use 80% and either press the timer override button when I want 100% or use the Carwings app on my phone (start charging is the same as timer override). The reason to charge to 100% is to permit cell balancing, which occurs when SOC is over 80%. This permits the battery to reach the highest energy capacity possible. I usually try to top up to 100% somewhere between zero and two hours before driving, ideally zero.

The best case for SOC and Li-Ion battery durability is to let the battery rest at 50%. I do this by setting my Blink L2 EVSE timer to start charging late at night. Usually after arriving home from work my car's SOC is around 50%, so it rests at that state for most of the day.

This works for me and I hope it helps. I live in AZ, have almost 22,000 miles on my car, and am only down one bar SOH, despite being parked in the sun most of the day at work.

RegGuheert said:
In the 2013 "S" trim level, it appears the timers and long-life mode are completely separate, so I don't know how people will manage that. Perhaps someone with an S can comment on how they switch between the two modes.
Although the timers and long life mode are set differently in the S than in the SV/SL, the timer override button and Carwings work the same. Timers and long life mode in the "S" grade are set in the meter using two buttons on the left side of the instrument panel (they are the top two in the group of four small square buttons). Your owners' manual can provide the detail.

kovalb said:
I usually try to top up to 100% somewhere between zero and two hours before driving, ideally zero.
How long does it take to go from 80-100%? (Seems like you'd need to start this more than zero hours before driving :)) What's the difference in time for this when charging @ L1 vs L2?

As far as I can tell - if I set to long life mode (80%) on my SV, I can't override from my phone to go higher.

I am almost positive I tried this and it gives me no more charge.

ITestStuff said:
kovalb said:
I usually try to top up to 100% somewhere between zero and two hours before driving, ideally zero.
How long does it take to go from 80-100%? (Seems like you'd need to start this more than zero hours before driving :)) What's the difference in time for this when charging @ L1 vs L2?
When I charge to 80%, then set the charging timer to 100%, it always indicates "1:30 hr" for L2, but it usually doesn't take that long. So, if you re-start charging from 80% at 7:30, to leave the house at 9:00, you should hit 100% just before you leave, minimizing the time sitting at 100%.

davidcary said:
As far as I can tell - if I set to long life mode (80%) on my SV, I can't override from my phone to go higher.

Yes, you can. I often use the App to take it to 85-90% after it stops at 80%.

EricH said:
ITestStuff said:
kovalb said:
When I charge to 80%, then set the charging timer to 100%, it always indicates "1:30 hr" for L2, but it usually doesn't take that long. So, if you re-start charging from 80% at 7:30, to leave the house at 9:00, you should hit 100% just before you leave, minimizing the time sitting at 100%.

That sounds about right for an '11, but it takes 1:45 to 2 hours with a '13 from 80% to 100%.

davidcary said:

That is why I suggested that you set it to OFF. Do the 80% mode charging within your timers.

RegGuheert said:
davidcary said:

That is why I suggested that you set it to OFF. Do the 80% mode charging within your timers.

This is exactly what I ended up doing when I was confused by this on my 2013. When you turn on long-life mode there is NO way to charge past 80%, not even by using the override button or starting a charge from carwings.

I now have long-life mode set to off, and I have an 80% timer set with the start and stop time BOTH set to 2:00 PM. With this arrangement, the car starts charging immediately whenever it is plugged in, and will charge to 80%. To get to 100% I can use the override button (look for the middle dash LED to come on), or start a charge from carwings. It all works perfectly. :)

jimmyz80 said:
RegGuheert said:
davidcary said:

This is exactly what I ended up doing when I was confused by this on my 2013. When you turn on long-life mode there is NO way to charge past 80%, not even by using the override button or starting a charge from carwings.

I now have long-life mode set to off, and I have an 80% timer set with the start and stop time BOTH set to 2:00 PM. With this arrangement, the car starts charging immediately whenever it is plugged in, and will charge to 80%. To get to 100% I can use the override button (look for the middle dash LED to come on), or start a charge from carwings. It all works perfectly. :)

Thank you. This does appear to be a difference from prior years or maybe I just was setting the wrong thing. So long life mode off - set to 80% with timers only. Not particularly logical but it works.

jimmyz80 said:
RegGuheert said:
davidcary said:

Actually, on a 2013, if you have long life mode set to on there is one way to get a 100% charge. If the timer that is active for that day is set to 100%, and long life mode is on, the timer takes precedence and the car will charge to 100%.

Back