2019 "60 kWh" Leaf e-Plus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evnow said:
GetOffYourGas said:
SageBrush said:
Tesla was approaching ~ 20x LEAF sales in the US ... before the price cuts.

LEAF sales are going to ground to nothing until heavy discounts are applied.

Yes, but the US is NOT the Leaf's main market. Not by a long shot. I was talking internationally.
That's because Tesla just started selling 3 outside US.
No, it is because the Leaf fits the desires of the Japanese and European markets much better. It is a small hatchback. And the shorter range is much more acceptable there than in the US. Sure, the Model 3 will compete strongly with the leaf in those markets, but the Model 3 has no bearing on which markets are better fit for the Leaf.

evnow said:
OrientExpress said:
The LEAF is also cheaper to insure, has higher reliability and comes with 3 years of free charging.
My 3 LR costs less to insure than my '13 Leaf and '16 Volt. Came as a big surprise to me too ...
Same with my insurance costs, at least in regards to liability. The '13 LEAF is 26% more expensive. I do not carry insurance on the LEAF itself so no comparo for comp or collision.

GetOffYourGas said:
evnow said:
GetOffYourGas said:
Yes, but the US is NOT the Leaf's main market. Not by a long shot. I was talking internationally.
No, it is because the Leaf fits the desires of the Japanese and European markets much better. It is a small hatchback. And the shorter range is much more acceptable there than in the US. Sure, the Model 3 will compete strongly with the leaf in those markets, but the Model 3 has no bearing on which markets are better fit for the Leaf.
Well, I don't know how you can say "no". The fact is 3 is only getting sold in EU & China now. We'll see in a few month who is selling more. 3 is definitely a good size for Europe, more so than S&X.

In 15 days of Feb, 3 sold more in Norway than all other EVs in full month of Feb. I don't know whether 3 will sell 10x Leaf as it is doing in US, but I'd be surprised if it won't atleast outsell Leaf.

Leaf sold about 40k in 2018 in Europe. I expect 3 to sell about 100k (another 200k in China and about 200k in US).

evnow said:
Leaf sold about 40k in 2018 in Europe.
When the Model 3 was not available. You can bet that the Model 3 will cut into that number, I suspect dramatically.

evnow said:
GetOffYourGas said:
evnow said:
Well, I don't know how you can say "no". The fact is 3 is only getting sold in EU & China now. We'll see in a few month who is selling more. 3 is definitely a good size for Europe, more so than S&X.

In 15 days of Feb, 3 sold more in Norway than all other EVs in full month of Feb. I don't know whether 3 will sell 10x Leaf as it is doing in US, but I'd be surprised if it won't atleast outsell Leaf.

Leaf sold about 40k in 2018 in Europe. I expect 3 to sell about 100k (another 200k in China and about 200k in US).

I said No to the claim that the Model 3 affects which market is the Leaf’s MAIN market. I said nothing about not affecting sales. In fact, I said that the model 3 WILL affect Leaf sales internationally.

Nothing you have written actually addresses my claim which suggests to me that you don’t actually understand what I’m trying to say.

LeftieBiker said:
This conversation would be much better in the Official Model 3 topic.

I disagree. My point is that the Leaf e-Plus will have a hard time competing with new options on the market. I think many are in agreement with that claim.

A secondary point is that the US is not the primary market for the Leaf. Although I guess it might be a prime target for the Leaf e-Plus. Worldwide, the Leaf still holds the cumulative sales crown, but it is quickly losing ground. My prediction is that the Leaf e-Plus will not be enough to recover their momentum and hold the lead in the long term.

Is this site completely wrong for stating the battery cooling system is "active" ?

https://www.evspecifications.com/en/model-driving-range/78f99b

(Make sure you're on the "Specifications" tab and scroll down)

For comparison, it shows all 2018 MY as "passive" cooling.

I know I read that it was going to be forced air (basically just blowing air over/around the pack), similar to what the Nissan NV200 uses. However some that have seen the car and say there isn't any active forced air. Strange indeed.

jdcbomb said:
Is this site completely wrong for stating the battery cooling system is "active" ?

I say tomatoe, you say tomatoh

There is no cooling inside the pack in any LEAF model
The 40 kWh LEAF relies entirely on ambient air contacting the case.
The 2019 LEAF blows cooled air over the case during charging.

SageBrush said:
jdcbomb said:

I say tomatoe, you say tomatoh

There is no cooling inside the pack in any LEAF model
The 40 kWh LEAF relies entirely on ambient air contacting the case.
The 2019 LEAF blows cooled air over the case during charging.

So far I haven't seen any documentation confirming this air blowing "over" the case...just "hearing" it 3rd hand from people...plus all the deadspace is supposedly gone from the floor...so I don't even know how it's physically possible?

Can't remember if anyone has posted the U.S. price, so GCC:
Longer-range Nissan LEAF PLUS starts at $36,550 in US with up to 226 miles of range
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/03/20190304-leaf.html

$37,445 incl dest. That seems a tough sell against a Model 3 SR, at least for the next four months. Is a savings of a ~ $2.5k enough? From July 1st on the numbers look better. OTOH, we're still waiting on Niro EV pricing.

I just received an email from Nissan announcing the e-Plus. Quick - what is wrong with this picture?

edWwFPU.jpg

If Nissan gets something as basic as this wrong, how does that inspire confidence in their engineering? SMH

OrientExpress said:
OK, I'll bite, what do you think is wrong with the picture?

It should read "100kw charging capability." KWH is a measure of energy storage capacity, which in the case of the ePlus is 62kwh. It's hard to say if Nissan's copy writers are stupid, misinformed, or are trying to deceive.

GetOffYourGas said:
I just received an email from Nissan announcing the e-Plus. Quick - what is wrong with this picture?
If Nissan gets something as basic as this wrong, how does that inspire confidence in their engineering? SMH
Sigh... I also received that marketing email 17 minutes ago. :roll:

You can now build and configure the 62kWh Leaf on the Nissan USA website, in case anyone wants to play around with it. From a quick glance, I didn't see anything surprising.

Back