2019 "60 kWh" Leaf e-Plus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With VPP you can get a few K under MSRP.

Looking forward to seeing the acutal range tests. Ours is ordered, but no timeline yet on delivery.

According to the dealer, they believe the 11 mile range difference was overstated, and not consistent with Nissan's test.

My guideline was in my 2013 Leaf at 55 MPH and 60-80 degrees, 5 miles per kWh was doable. This translated to just over 100 miles with the 21 usable kWh. Guessing the plus has about 58 usable, making a careful 300 mile trip possible with a light foot, and a patient driver on a flat highway.

Doug, I’ll be getting a Plus loaner in a few weeks and plan a road trip to Tahoe and back like I did with the 40kWh car last year. Look for my impressions on cleanfleetreport.com

leaf16 said:
Yep, you can add the Accessories from the Build Page --- they are way over priced
but it is handy to already have them installed when delivered.

SPLASH GUARDS $200
CHROME REAR BUMPER PROTECTOR $120
CARPETED CARGO AND FLOOR MATS $190
DOOR KICK PLATES (2-PIECE SET) $130

The 2-Tone Pearl White Tricoat / Super Black is shown on their web page.
Even has a pan feature to see all sides / angles.

K. Thanks. I’ll take a look.

LeftieBiker said:
The SV Plus will have the heatpump heating system included with the all weather package. The S will not, assuming they follow current option practice.

Good catch, thanks. I read it too quickly. And also weird. Why call it "the" all weather package if it's actually two importantly different packages....

Kieran973 said:
LeftieBiker said:
The SV Plus will have the heatpump heating system included with the all weather package. The S will not, assuming they follow current option practice.

Good catch, thanks. I read it too quickly. And also weird. Why call it "the" all weather package if it's actually two importantly different packages....

Because the S has never had the heat pump as an available option. This is just part of Nissan's new philosophy of "Make them pay for things they used to get for free." Like heated seats and steering wheel, and heat pump system in the SV.

SageBrush said:
Nasty pricing.

Agreed. And while much has been made of the Leaf Plus' higher base msrp than the Model 3's, I think the bigger problem for Nissan is that the Leaf Plus' prices are not competitive with other legacy auto maker EVs. The Bolt: more range, TMS, LG Chem battery, same base price. The Kona Electric: significantly more range, TMS, LG Chem battery, and the real icing on the nasty cake...the Kona's $37,495 BASE MODEL comes standard with Hyundai's equivalent of the Tech Package and All-Weather Package (minus the heat pump) - to get the same features in the Leaf Plus would cost you $42,105 (or $4,610 more). Even against its own 40 kWh battery version, the Leaf Plus is not competitive. There's a utility discount on the 40 kWh Leaf right now - in NYC it's $5,000 - which means that unless Nissan is planning to offer that same discount on the Leaf Plus, then the Leaf Plus SV, for example, will in some regions effectively cost $11,000 more than the regular Leaf SV. And 11K is a lot of cheddar for 65 more miles of range.

The excuse often made about the Leaf's lack of TMS is that this makes it simpler and therefore cheaper. I'm actually sympathetic to that argument, but then this has to be reflected in the Leaf Plus' price. Right now it isn't. In my area, the total out of pocket cost (including sales tax, average dealer/doc fees, the federal tax credit, and the state tax rebate) for a Kona Electric SEL would be about $30K, for the base Model 3 it would be about $35K (we pay almost 9% in state plus local sales tax). On the 40 kWh Leaf SV it's about $20K. So I think a fair total out of pocket price for a Leaf Plus SV would be $25-27K (or $32,500 - $34,500 Out the Door), otherwise I'm going to keep looking....

leaf16 said:
Anyone getting a "sizeable" discount off the MSRP on the 2019 e-Plus quotes ?

I am buying a SL Plus in 2-Tone Pearl White /Black (+$695) and Factory Installed Accessories (+$640)
and with the $895 Destination --- the Total MSRP is $44,780.

Here in the South Dakota and Nebraska area, the best I am getting is about $1,000 off this MRSP
by the dealer and any incentives that Nissan has at time of delivery.

Delivery estimated end of March / beginning of April.
What is your thinking versus Model 3? For me it is a no brainer, Tesla with autopilot seems like a better deal.

What is your thinking versus Model 3? For me it is a no brainer, Tesla with autopilot seems like a better deal.[/quote]

The $35,000 Model 3 is still a myth. Have to add the required $1,200 Destination Fee,
I'd add $2,000 for a reasonable paint color choice (hate Black) and $3,000 for Autopilot
to match the SL Plus ProPilot. Total $41,200.

I would be able to take a $3,750 deduction from my Federal Income Tax Bill --- making my cost $37,450.

I can get that SL Plus out the door for a little less then $42,500 and take a $7,500 deduction
from my Federal Income Tax Bill --- making my cost $35,000.

But more important to me --- I don't like the Sedan body style and the Model 3 interior with the
touchscreen replacing the conventional dash instrumentation is a totally unacceptable for me.

Actually, it was a pretty easy decision for me. ;)

Did a TCO on the two. Granted it's aimed at my needs and wants so...

https://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2019/03/leaf-plus-verses-t3-another-tco.html

As far as which car I would choose; Sad to say that I would have taken the Tesla if they still had the full tax credit but without it, the price difference is simply too big. But things change rapidly. I may feel different in 6 months. I have 2 years on my current lease so expect to have a much better perspective by then (and hopefully a lot more valid choices!)

leaf16 said:
DanCar said:
What is your thinking versus Model 3? For me it is a no brainer, Tesla with autopilot seems like a better deal.

The $35,000 Model 3 is still a myth. Have to add the required $1,200 Destination Fee,
I'd add $2,000 for a reasonable paint color choice (hate Black) and $3,000 for Autopilot
to match the SL Plus ProPilot. Total $41,200.

I would be able to take a $3,750 deduction from my Federal Income Tax Bill --- making my cost $37,450.

I can get that SL Plus out the door for a little less then $42,500 and take a $7,500 deduction
from my Federal Income Tax Bill --- making my cost $35,000.

But more important to me --- I don't like the Sedan body style and the Model 3 interior with the
touchscreen replacing the conventional dash instrumentation is a totally unacceptable for me.

Actually, it was a pretty easy decision for me. ;)
Sounds good to me. You must not live in a warm climate. Also that autosteer works below 30 mph is a must have feature for me. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=550933#p550933

webeleafowners said:
We love the Tesla model 3 and actually would prefer to buy it when we trade in Angelas smart ED this fall or early next year. But more than likely we'll get another Leaf, this time the Eplus SL. This is why.

We live in BC. Below is a Plugsshare representation of Super Chargers. We think the Supercharger network is great and its one of the reasons we want to get a model 3. But the model 3, unlike the model S or the Model X is not Chademo compatible so this is what you get. A narrow strip from Victoria to Calgary. No chance of touring all over this amazing province. Yeh.

32371441637_db2cc37027_c.jpg

The next picture is the Chademo/CCS network that the government is rolling out. It is actually missing about 35 locations that although have been announced and funded are not yet on the map. So just imagine this with at aboutt 35 more dots. Some are Petro Canada, some are Electrify Canada and most are government. And they are usually pretty quick putting them in once they are on the map. And thats just phase two. Once it is done in 2020 phase three is already on the books covering the north interior routes to the coast etc.

47260920452_4db3c6d0cf_c.jpg

If you have a Leaf e plus or a bolt or a Kia or an Ipace or Model S tesla or Model X tesla you'll be able to tour the whole province. With a model 3 Tesla, unless its on the end of a rope the province is pretty much out of bounds except for a little strip between Victoria and Calgary.

We are actually quite impressed with the new Leaf and the eplus should be even better but we lean towards the model 3 for a few reasons. However, a touring sedan it is not....at least not in BC.

Cmon Elon. Wheres that Chademo adapter.
As is stands; money still wins out with LEAF coming in thousands cheaper along with 3 years of free charging (something worth $700-$1000 annually to me based on current "average SC pricing)

BUT a chademo adapter would COMPLETELY change the balance sheet.

If you're referring to a CHADEMO to Tesla charging adapter it has been available for awhile now. However, it's not cheap and the "official" version sold by Tesla is $620: https://shop.tesla.com/ca/en/product/vehicle-accessories/chademo-adapter.html

There are couple third party options available but they are all at least $450 to $500 from what I've seen. That money could pay for at least an entire year's worth of home charging or even M3 non-subsidized Tesla supercharging. Now if you're in a region where most fast charging is CHADEMO, then it might be worth it.

jdcbomb said:
If you're referring to a CHADEMO to Tesla charging adapter it has been available for awhile now. However, it's not cheap and the "official" version sold by Tesla is $620: https://shop.tesla.com/ca/en/product/vehicle-accessories/chademo-adapter.html

There are couple third party options available but they are all at least $450 to $500 from what I've seen. That money could pay for at least an entire year's worth of home charging or even M3 non-subsidized Tesla supercharging. Now if you're in a region where most fast charging is CHADEMO, then it might be worth it.

It is NOT available. The item you are referring to has been around for years and only works on the S and the X.

DaveinOlyWA said:
jdcbomb said:

It is NOT available. The item you are referring to has been around for years and only works on the S and the X.

I don't know if Model 3 will get an adapter for Chademo, but CCS adapter is expected relatively soon (this summer). Since many public stations have both Chademo and CCS cables, it should help a lot.

Rebel44 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
jdcbomb said:

I don't know if Model 3 will get an adapter for Chademo, but CCS adapter is expected relatively soon (this summer). Since many public stations have both Chademo and CCS cables, it should help a lot.

It actually doesn't. CCS has weak presence here that EA and EVGO will only partially address. We have Webasto and Blink that are chademo only and a lot of people will cry about them but I rely on them and have been quite successful.

Just re-read the Tesla store link and indeed on the S / X are the only ones that work. I've read online and apparently there is testing going on with the M3 for CHADEMO...wonder if it's software or hardware that limits the ability?

jdcbomb said:
Just re-read the Tesla store link and indeed on the S / X are the only ones that work. I've read online and apparently there is testing going on with the M3 for CHADEMO...wonder if it's software or hardware that limits the ability?

Unlikely. I would post a pix but not worthy enough for that prilliage but there was a T3 testing V3 at 1000 mph charge rate. So "limitations" is not likely the culprit here.

jdcbomb said:

I don’t know. But we have tried every form of communication to Tesla to get them to address this. To no avail. We have 6 to 12 months before we need to replace her two seater with a four seater but we are starting to get comfortable with the idea of a Leaf Plus. Battery problems because of heat are not an issue in Canada and really, the EPlus is a pretty nice car. The model 3 has different tech and it’s faster but as someone already mentioned, before you get all the goodies that the EPlus SL has you are already into a more expensive car than the SL.

Our preference is still a Tesla Model 3 even after the 7000 extra bucks, but we won’t buy a car with a proprietary charging system that can not access the vast and quickly growing DCFC charging network in our province. And further to that, although Tesla does plan on covering the Trans Canada highway, the other providers will beat them to it by a couple years. We think the Supercharger system is awesome and fast and...wow. But for us, in our province it is not and will not be a player for years to come.

Our local dealer is sold out for this year on the Leaf Plus so there is no shortage of demand, but really it has to do with production. They get allotted around 18 Leafs per month and they all go. That number is heresay but appears to be legit.

A Bolt is too small for us but if we wanted one there are about 15 on our local lot. Nice looking little car but they don’t seem to move much here. They seem pricey fir what you get compared to a model 3.

ALL the ChadeMO we have in town are out of operation. It may be different in B.C. but make no mistake that you are adopting a dying technology with a LEAF purchase even though it is the leader in your area today. Tough choice to be sure.

Here is CCS today in B.C. In your shoes I would lease either CCS or CHadeMO to give Tesla time to expand the Supercharger network in Canada.

uc

Back