Aerovironment EVSE install information

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really don't care how they do it, I care about the details of the warranty because that is what will cover any repairs and I have a felling it's not going to be as robust as people are expecting.

So I logged in again today to try and schedule my Whatchamacallit installation again (EVSE). This time the web site took my credit card info with no problem (Joy?) Went to the next screen to schedule the install, and got a different message this time:

“There are no available dates in your postal code. Please contact Nissan USA” .

As it turns out there are no trained installers in my area!? You would think with 9 million of us living here in Southern California, they would train at least one of us to do installations.

Not getting a good vibe from this…

An update. As soon as you complete the credit card information, your card is hit with a Temp Authorization for the full amount of the installation quote. Even if you don’t have the charger, or evan an install date. This reduces the limit on your card and will reject additional charges if they sum over your card limit (and teach you all about the new bank overdraft charges you’ve been hearing about).

Nice.

That is exactly why I am not using AV- they are price gouging and quick to make a buck! SAY NO TO AV! I ordered my EV Charge America yesterday! I will have it first week of December and I will not be charged until the charger ships!

JPC2822 said:
That is exactly why I am not using AV- they are price gouging and quick to make a buck! SAY NO TO AV! I ordered my EV Charge America yesterday! I will have it first week of December and I will not be charged until the charger ships!

Good luck with that delivery date.

Well, if by any miracle I get my LEAF before my charger than I can try to see what other chargers are available. AV is at the bottom of my list. I will only buy AV if I have my LEAF and no charger. I truely believe that I will get the EV Charger before I get my LEAF.

product/service description quantity unit price line total
Custom Installation 3,244.58
Installation Permit and Processing 150.00
Charging Dock, Wall Mount 15' Cable 721.12
Shipping and Delivery 49.95
Total(before tax) $ 4,165.65
Sales Tax $ 63.85
Total US $ 4,229.50
Your quote details
Pull permit. Install (1) 40 Ampere 240 Volt circuit breaker in existing utility panel. Install 85 feet or less of feeder
from utility panel to wall mounted Charging Dock. Feeder (Conduit or Romex wire) will be mounted to existing
surfaces or run through crawl space or attic. Charging Dock will be installed on customer preferred location and
will be fully tested and certified with proprietary service tool. Customer will be trained on operation and
troubleshooting and inspector will be called for verification.

So what do you think about this joke of a quote. Maybe have to run 40 feet of wire in a very open easy attic. Wanted it outside the garage so have to punch a whole on the outside.
Rethinking this car...AV will hear from me

Don't rethink the car..... think different electrician.
All you need is a 20a 240v outlet installed. NEMA 6-20R ANY electrician can do it.
Then get a Leviton 16a charging dock and plug it into the outlet same as you would a vacuum or lamp.

Dukemd
I also had an outrageous AV quote. I called a licensed electrician I found in the yellow pages for a free quote. I printed out AV's quote and work. I made sure I only showed the electrician the work (NOT THE PRICE). The licensed electrician quoted me HALF yes 50% LESS than the AV electrician! Don't give up the car! GIVE UP AV! That is what I am doing! SAY NO to AV!

I've tried searching this information but wasn't able to find it anywhere. I was wondering if the home assessment is required prior to ordering your Nissan Leaf. My order date via email was slated for February 2011 (still quite some time away and I'm located in the Bay Area). After reading about all the alternatives to home charging stations, and the outrageous estimates from AE, I'd figure I rather save my $100 if I could and go another route. The last thing I would want to do is delay my order any longer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

GuBearDor said:
I've tried searching this information but wasn't able to find it anywhere. I was wondering if the home assessment is required prior to ordering your Nissan Leaf. My order date via email was slated for February 2011 (still quite some time away and I'm located in the Bay Area). After reading about all the alternatives to home charging stations, and the outrageous estimates from AE, I'd figure I rather save my $100 if I could and go another route. The last thing I would want to do is delay my order any longer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

You want this thread: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1515

First page has screen shot of the waiver added to the dashboard.
It is about the ninth post

I wished I had passed on the sucker fee :(

All the AV EVSE installs I've seen so far have had a rather inelegant length of conduit coming up to the bottom of the EVSE. Is this not designed to be mounted directly over the top of the junction box carrying the supply?

I received my quote for a home charger from AV yesterday. $3200 for a relatively simple install!--no new panel, but installing new tandem breakers in existing panel, short run to charger several feet away on same wall. I don't object to the permit and processing fee or the charging dock itself ($721), but other items from $50 shipping fee to $2071 installation fee seems quite excessive. Assuming $65 labor, we are talking 32 hrs for the install itself! (this one padded by a factor of 4). I guess they figure they need to compensate for your 50% tax deduction! Only a 3 yr. warranty also, so you can end up paying more in several years. I will definitely not use them. Talk about taking advantage of the early enthusiasts! For comparison, we had a $3100 labor charge for installing an entire 3kW rooftop solar photovoltaic system several years ago, which involved design, permits, installation of 16 rooftop panels, inverter, additional circuitry and breakers, two people working several days, utility co. coordination and permits, handling our state rebate, etc.

I was happy to find out from the AV rep at our Seattle showing that you could get the waiver and have just the EVSE for $721 ~ Much better deal!

HPEV said:
I was happy to find out from the AV rep at our Seattle showing that you could get the waiver and have just the EVSE for $721 ~ Much better deal!

Less of a rip off, not a better deal.

Less of a rip off, not a better deal.[/quote]

Heh, well depends on how you look at it ~ glass half full or half empty. $721 is much better than the $2,300+ that they were quoting if they do it all and it is also much better than the $3,000+ that Tesla HPC stations cost and that the old Toyota Rav4EV stations cost as well as the GM EV1 Magnecharge units.

kavrad said:
I received my quote for a home charger from AV yesterday. $3200 for a relatively simple install!--no new panel, but installing new tandem breakers in existing panel, short run to charger several feet away on same wall.

I had my AV system installed yesterday. It sounds like it was about like yours, but cost me $2100. It was called a "standard install." The conduit run was about 4 feet from where it came through the wall from the main panel just to the left outside of this photo:

AV%20charge%20port.JPG

My Aerovironment EVSE was installed a couple of days ago. I just measured its standby current to be 24 mA at 240 V for a standby power of about 6 Watts. Not to bad.

Back