Aerovironment EVSE install information

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't yet been contacted by AV to get the EVSE, but I am already trenching for my electrical out to the garage. The last time I called they said I was on the list, but they were shipping to the people who were getting their cars first. That means I won't get it this year, so I guess I will be installing a standard 240V outlet so that I will have something to claim for the 50% reimbursement. I guess I can change it out in the new year when it finally ships to me.

Install a standard 120V (NEMA 5-20R) outlet and it should count ... since it can be used with the portable Level 1 EVSE Nissan provides and which you "borrowed" to charge someone's 2010 delivered LEAF :p

(You're still running a risk ... but WTH. Change the oulet later.)

I just finished installing my 120v outlet today on a new dedicated 20A circuit. If I can find some way to buy a "spare" L1 EVSE before the end of the month I can claim it, and my installation costs, legitimately. I really want that second L1 EVSE anyway so I can have one permanently plugged in at home and the other available in the car.

planet4ever said:
I just finished installing my 120v outlet today on a new dedicated 20A circuit. If I can find some way to buy a "spare" L1 EVSE before the end of the month I can claim it, and my installation costs, legitimately. I really want that second L1 EVSE anyway so I can have one permanently plugged in at home and the other available in the car.
Right, but for the Level 1 EVSE to qualify it needs to be "permanently attached." Though nothing says for how long! :D

garygid said:
Please, where did you find the "permanently attached" requirement
for the Federal Tax Credit for the EVSE and its install?
Well, it has to be "installed" which includes its "attachment". They technically don't even give a definition for "installed" or even "EVSE" so it's all up for discussion. I don't think they would be too happy though if you provided a picture of the L1 "Emergency Charger" sitting on the floor plugged into an outlet and tried calling that an "Installed EVSE".

I guess the only thing we can really recommend is to "contact your tax professional". :D

DarkStar said:
garygid said:
Please, where did you find the "permanently attached" requirement
for the Federal Tax Credit for the EVSE and its install?
Well, it has to be "installed" which includes its "attachment". They technically don't even give a definition for "installed" or even "EVSE" so it's all up for discussion. I don't think they would be too happy though if you provided a picture of the L1 "Emergency Charger" sitting on the floor plugged into an outlet and tried calling that an "Installed EVSE".

I guess the only thing we can really recommend is to "contact your tax professional". :D

Ah, but if your outlet has a locking plastic clear cover on it, with a padlock locking the plug to the outlet, then it could technically be said to be "permanently installed" :) These cover exist for outdoor use, to allow a line cord to be plugged in and are weatherproof... you can also get them that are lockable.

DarkStar said:
Well, it has to be "installed" which includes its "attachment". They technically don't even give a definition for "installed" or even "EVSE" so it's all up for discussion
The IRS uses the phrase "placed into service". My guess is that, if you had dated receipts showing purchase of a L1 EVSE and the installation of the dedicated outlet "required" or "recomended" by the manufacturer's EVSE instructions, the IRS would allow you to claim these as in support of placing the L1 EVSE into service. My guess is that they won't argue with claiming as part of L2 EVSE installation cost of the dedicated 120 VAC outlet which is often installed next to a L2 EVSE to allow a L1 EVSE to be used as a backup.

Quick Question: If I have to get the federal credit, I need to have purchased the EVSE as well prior to the 31st? I was planning to get all the electrical work done and get the charger seperately.

So I need to get the charger and work done and install prior to 31st correct. If that is the case then we are left with the following?

1) AV - approx $850
2) Columb CT 500 - $1850
3) EV Charge America - $649 ( lacks enough customer support etc)

Any other that I have missed?

AV said they will not ship the EVSE to me this year. They also said that was Nissan doing the limiting. If that is the case, I think I am a little unhappy with Nissan. Bye bye credit.

Danny said:
AV said they will not ship the EVSE to me this year. They also said that was Nissan doing the limiting. If that is the case, I think I am a little unhappy with Nissan. Bye bye credit.

Yes, I'm not too happy with AV right now. When I called trying to buy their EVSE a couple months ago, it wasn't available, but said they would put me on a list and notify me when they received them so I could purchase one. I hadn't heard anything, so I called today and then I was informed by AV that people with LEAF reservations before mine would be getting them and I would have to wait several more months.

Thanks for the headsup AV- if your customer service was better, I could have forgotten about you long ago and in the meantime been looking for a good EVSE that I can order and have now or in the near future.

you can always join the "Electric Auto Association" for $35, then you can buy the Clipper Creek CS-40 for $2250 + $50 S/H, or better yet, just get the CS-100 for $2550 + $50 S/H to be "future proof" (can charge a vehicle up to 19.2KW onboard charger).

Since you get a %50 credit on your 2010 taxes, the real cost is either $1150 or $1300 to you (plus of course 1/2 the install price for the electrician + permit)

http://www.eaaev.org/

Or wait until next year and get a Leviton for probably even less than the CC with a tax credit
Only 16 amps is needed for Leaf. Even AV is double the usable capacity.

smkettner said:
Or wait until next year and get a Leviton for probably even less than the CC with a tax credit
Only 16 amps is needed for Leaf. Even AV is double the usable capacity.

yep, you can do that. you are not "future proof" on fast charging EVs that will come out in the next 3 or 4 years though. If you oversize it now, and get uncle sam to pay for 1/2 of it, you are not spending that much more to be future proof, which is how I am looking at it.

Levition and SquareD have not announced any pricing or availbility yet, but I would expect it to be in the similar $700-$800 area that the AV unit is in, probably even more.

so your choice is spend $1300 now (after tax credit), to get an EVSE capable of 19.2KW charging, or get an $800 (estimated) Leviton/SquareD EVSE for about $560 after %30 tax credit), that is capble of 16Amps (just what the current generation of EVs need)

Yes, $1300 is more than $560, (more than double), but probably less than replacing your EVSE in a few years with a high current unit.

BTW, I would not expect the high current/high quality EVSE's to drop in price that much, the volume will be low on them, until more EVs are availble that can use higher current charging.

Back