Any Chademo adaptor plug for SAE Combo plug charger?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
edatoakrun said:
If they really were to build dual-purpose chargers, I can just see the Chevy Spark driver who drives up to the first SAE fast charger for DC, and finds A Volt plugged in for an all-day L2...
I don't think any of the PHEVs will be upgraded to take the SAE charger.

BTW, isn't Ford part of the SAE ? Why isn't Ford Focus EV supporting the new port (nor is there any news that it will).

Oh, Outlander PHEV will support chademo.

evnow said:
edatoakrun said:
If they really were to build dual-purpose chargers, I can just see the Chevy Spark driver who drives up to the first SAE fast charger for DC, and finds A Volt plugged in for an all-day L2...
I don't think any of the PHEVs will be upgraded to take the SAE charger...

That was my point.

As far as DC charger/ AC charge point locations are concerned, economics and logistics will probably dictate that SAE's are either DC or AC, but never both. It would be nuts for a charge site operator to allow their costly 50 kW DC charger to be underutilized by a vehicle with a ~3.8 kW charge limit, while customers willing to pay for a ~50 kW charge were told to take their business elsewhere.

So, I believe there would be no need for both the AC and DC wires in any SAE cable, as walterbays suggested.

If the demand ever materializes, DCQC manufacturers will just add a second cable with the frankenplug plug to their units (there are rumors they are ready).. a Chademo-to-frankenplug adapter could be made one day, if there is any demand but it will probably be expensive since it requires two fancy plugs and electronics to translate the can bus commands.

You probably should hold off on the Leaf until the association relents.

As I posted earlier, I doubt we will ever see a "SAE combo plug", just the SAE combo port on the handful of compliance BEVs that are planned for production.

See the link below of the the photo of what looks like the SAE "frankenplug" without any AC conductors:

Volkswagen Group of America and Eaton have together unveiled a new single-port Combined Charging System (CCS).

The CCS meets the approved standard for charging from the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), and combines one-phase AC charging, three-phase AC charging, DC home charging and DC fast charging at public stations.

According to Yahoo Finance, the charger uses only a single connection, reducing the complication for customers needing to find a specific charging station for their vehicle.

Volkswagen's support for the CCS is indicative of the importance of standardizing charging and infrastructure worldwide--reducing the cost and complexity of selling electric vehicles in different markets....

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1081672_vw-eaton-show-new-ccs-electric-car-charging-station" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edatoakrun said:
evnow said:
edatoakrun said:
I don't think any of the PHEVs will be upgraded to take the SAE charger...

That was my point.

As far as DC charger/ AC charge point locations are concerned, economics and logistics will probably dictate that SAE's are either DC or AC, but never both. It would be nuts for a charge site operator to allow their costly 50 kW DC charger to be underutilized by a vehicle with a ~3.8 kW charge limit, while customers willing to pay for a ~50 kW charge were told to take their business elsewhere.

So, I believe there would be no need for both the AC and DC wires in any SAE cable, as walterbays suggested.

PS,

I'm not really sure if that photo is the US SAE DC frankenplug, or the Euro version.

I can't keep up with all the multiple variations in the SAE "common standard"...

hyperlexis said:
Well, assuming that given the committment SAE has invested in its new combo plug, GM, as well as others, it would be naive to think the SAE version would be abandoned as a US standard at this point.

It really kills me how folks hinge so much on what SAE/GM have proposed. I'll bet Betamax (Sony) would loved to just say "we're the standard" and watch people scramble for adapters from VHS.

Oh, but it didn't quite work out that way. GM has at least been successful in producing nothing, and making others question what already exists. Bravo.

The real de facto standard will be what is actually deployed. GM knows that, which is why they tried to scuttle CHAdeMO early on. They weren't successful.

But, many of you are worried about meeting the Betamax standard with your VHS car.

Actually, IMO, GM probably has the ability to boost The SAE semi-combo-plug to the point that it would eventually (perhaps over ten or twenty years) surpass Chademo, but only if a superior higher-kW standard doesn't replace both, before then.

But GM Could only do this by equipping the Chevy Volt and the upcoming Volt-illac with DC ports, so the SAE stations would actually have a significant number of vehicles that could use them.

Which would soon make both of these GM PHEV "plug-ins" functionally obsolete...

I wouldn't worry about this right now. Once there is a problem, then worry! =)

Rest assured, if there is a demand for an adapter, I'll make one.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
I wouldn't worry about this right now. Once there is a problem, then worry! =)

Rest assured, if there is a demand for an adapter, I'll make one.

-Phil

Have you given the ~10 to ~20 kW portable CHAdeMO Idea any more thought lately, Phil?

I'm sure there are many others, like me, who are now considering paying $ thousands to replace our LEAFs with the 2013, largely just to get the ~6 kW on-board charger, who would really prefer to spend that money for faster DC from various existing AC charge sources.

edatoakrun said:
Have you given the ~10 to ~20 kW portable CHAdeMO Idea any more thought lately, Phil?

I'm sure there are many others, like me, who are now considering paying $ thousands to replace our LEAFs with the 2013, largely just to get the ~6 kW on-board charger, who would really prefer to spend that money for faster DC from various existing AC charge sources.
It's all a matter of cost. For me to build you a one-off 10kW CHAdeMO, you are probably looking at a minimum of around $8k. I'd also have to suspend other pressing projects, which I don't want to do, such as LEAFSCAN™.

At some point, I hope to be able to offer a reasonably priced >6kW upgrade for gen1 Leafs. Right now I can only offer a 6.7kW (true output to battery) upgrade for $4500, because the costs are high. I hope to reduce the cost of this in the future with more economies of scale and reduced-cost parts.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
At some point, I hope to be able to offer a reasonably priced >6kW upgrade for gen1 Leafs. Right now I can only offer a 6.7kW (true output to battery) upgrade for $4500, because the costs are high. I hope to reduce the cost of this in the future with more economies of scale and reduced-cost parts.

-Phil
Where can I find more information about this upgrade? I couldn't find it in evseupgrade.com. Thanks!

jackal said:
Where can I find more information about this upgrade? I couldn't find it in evseupgrade.com. Thanks!
I haven't published much information on it, because it's not a "production" offering. If you want to know more, you can search the forum for "6.7kW". I only have a limited amount of time, and I'd rather spend it on things that can offer the most benefit to the most people. In other words, search before you ask questions that have already been answered, that is the whole point of the forum in the first place.

-Phil

bryan38401 said:
get your leaf and enjoy it have 14,000 plus miles and use chademo 2-4 times a week ill have 100,000 miles before you see a sae L3
+1.
The 2013 LEAF specs are now out.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11192#p257141
The
The CHAdeMO DC QC port is an available option for the S and SV trim levels, and standard on the top SL trim.
You can safely ignore the prospects for SAE L3 for the next several years at least, and CHAdeMO won't be removed from any existing L3 for much longer than that.

Ingineer said:
edatoakrun said:
-Phil
Phil, When you do come out with the LEAFScan, if I drive my LEAF down from Washington State to pick one up can you be talked into installing the $4500 charger upgrade? :D

TonyWilliams said:
hyperlexis said:
Well, assuming that given the committment SAE has invested in its new combo plug, GM, as well as others, it would be naive to think the SAE version would be abandoned as a US standard at this point.

It really kills me how folks hinge so much on what SAE/GM have proposed. I'll bet Betamax (Sony) would loved to just say "we're the standard" and watch people scramble for adapters from VHS.

Oh, but it didn't quite work out that way. GM has at least been successful in producing nothing, and making others question what already exists. Bravo.

The real de facto standard will be what is actually deployed. GM knows that, which is why they tried to scuttle CHAdeMO early on. They weren't successful.

But, many of you are worried about meeting the Betamax standard with your VHS car.
You are exactly right. At least the people offering Betamax were offering a real product. GM and others are being disingenuous with this "standard." They have no serious plans to produce significant numbers of EVs with or without QC ports of any kind. I believe that the only reason this standard was created was to try to sabotage the CHAdeMO de facto standard and EVs in general.

Ingineer said:
It's all a matter of cost. For me to build you a one-off 10kW CHAdeMO, you are probably looking at a minimum of around $8k. I'd also have to suspend other pressing projects, which I don't want to do, such as LEAFSCAN™.

-Phil

Seriously, where do I send the money? The hell with LEAFScan, I want a 10kW CHAdeMO, ASAP.

Philip

pchilds said:
Ingineer said:

-Phil

Seriously, where do I send the money? The hell with LEAFScan, I want a 10kW CHAdeMO, ASAP.

Philip
You'd pay $8k for a 10kW CHAdeMO? If you wait a little while longer, (indeterminate) you'll be able to (supposedly) buy Nissan's $10k unit which is a full 25kW.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
pchilds said:
Ingineer said:

-Phil

Philip
You'd pay $8k for a 10kW CHAdeMO? If you wait a little while longer, (indeterminate) you'll be able to (supposedly) buy Nissan's $10k unit which is a full 25kW.

-Phil

Maybe not. AeroEnvironment said that with shipping (from Japan?) and other add-ons etc., Nissan's $10k unit would actually be closer to the $15k, similar to the one that AV was already selling (yes, could be sales hype). But then, the $10k unit disappeared from Nissan's website. So, is Nissan still committed to selling such a unit in USA?

Ingineer said:

-Phil

A portable unit that will connect to a 50 amp RV outlet, yes. Doesn't the Nissan unit require 3 phase power?

Back