Asking for Lemon Law protection on Monday

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
saintyohann said:
Roadburner440 said:
Here we have real people in the real world that are having problems with the LEAF and only local news media seems interested.

I am trying. I've been in contact with a news station in San Diego and I'm trying to also get something lined up in Los Angeles. Hopefully we'll shoot something this week or early next and then they'll air when I get BBB's decision. The production guy had me take a bunch of photos before I get my cast off tomorrow...I think they're going to push the "look how Nissan treated this disabled guy," which is better than "another EV problem."

Be sure to blast Nissan then, will ya? I'm sure that will advance your cause and be of great aid to all the others with battery problems. Nothing gets action faster than local news media with delusions of "60 minutes" dancing in their heads. A little artful, selective editing and they can make anyone look bad, including you. Most likely, you'll end up with Nissan folding their arms and saying "ok, then, sue us". Good luck with that.

dandrewk said:
Be sure to blast Nissan then, will ya? I'm sure that will advance your cause and be of great aid to all the others with battery problems. Nothing gets action faster than local news media with delusions of "60 minutes" dancing in their heads. A little artful, selective editing and they can make anyone look bad, including you. Most likely, you'll end up with Nissan folding their arms and saying "ok, then, sue us". Good luck with that.
Actually, the media coverage in Phoenix was certainly a factor in Nissan's buy backs of two Leafs, and also resulted in the (? inadvertent) release of information that led to the trademarking of the Nissan Leaf YEAR (TM). Without the media, I don't think we would have had Casa Grande testing, the info TickTock got about rate of capacity loss, etc.

If Nissan says, "OK, then, sue us." it will hurt them a lot more than the OP, who doesn't have much to lose since Nissan won't address his problem. I just love the way some people who don't have a problem with their Leaf like to rag on others who do have a problem, and have to deal with an unresponsive company.

dandrewk said:

Well in California, it's not usually done through lawyers. Nissan uses BBB's Autoline to arbitrate our "disagreement." All I have to do is prove that there is an issue and I gave them chances to fix it.

As to your worries that I will harm the battery capacity people, I'd be more worried about the class action lawsuit filed last week. It's pretty obvious that Nissan will not fix these issues of their own free will. Someone has to make them. I'm going to force them to make me whole. While, I fear, Nissan just delays and postpones until the folks in AZ have no legal recourse because they waited too long (I believe 18 months).

Stoaty said:
Actually, the media coverage in Phoenix was certainly a factor in Nissan's buy backs of two Leafs, and also resulted in the (? inadvertent) release of information that led to the trademarking of the Nissan Leaf YEAR (TM). Without the media, I don't think we would have had Casa Grande testing, the info TickTock got about rate of capacity loss, etc.

You have zero proof of any of this. Anecdotal evidence doesn't count. If any causes were advanced by the Phoenix news coverage, they vanished with the second hit piece filled with obscenely obvious selective editing by a reporter trying her hardest to be a Leslie Stahl clone.

Stoaty said:
If Nissan says, "OK, then, sue us." it will hurt them a lot more than the OP, who doesn't have much to lose since Nissan won't address his problem. I just love the way some people who don't have a problem with their Leaf like to rag on others who do have a problem, and have to deal with an unresponsive company.

Your condescending quips aside, let's just assume you are correct that the initial news coverage got those folks their buybacks. So how to these same folks respond? By publicly blasting Nissan. So now the OP is threatening to do the same. How likely is Nissan likely to play ball here?

saintyohann said:
dandrewk said:

Well in California, it's not usually done through lawyers. Nissan uses BBB's Autoline to arbitrate our "disagreement." All I have to do is prove that there is an issue and I gave them chances to fix it.

As to your worries that I will harm the battery capacity people, I'd be more worried about the class action lawsuit filed last week. It's pretty obvious that Nissan will not fix these issues of their own free will. Someone has to make them. I'm going to force them to make me whole. While, I fear, Nissan just delays and postpones until the folks in AZ have no legal recourse because they waited too long (I believe 18 months).

I don't mean to dismiss your claim. You have a legitimate complaint, and I honestly wish you well with it. I guess I am a bit angry at those folks in AZ who just couldn't be happy with their settlement. I don't see how intimating that going to the press is going to help you.

As far as class action suits, well, they are literally a dime a dozen, filed by ambulance chasing sharks who don't give a damn about the damage done to their clients. They'll file some papers, get their PR folks to try and make it into the public forum, hoping that Nissan will cave and offer a small pittance which only THEY will benefit from.

I don't have any solutions. Even though I don't have your issues, I do sympathize with them.

dandrewk said:
...let's just assume you are correct that the initial news coverage got those folks their buybacks. So how to these same folks respond? By publicly blasting Nissan. So now the OP is threatening to do the same. How likely is Nissan likely to play ball here?
I can hardly blame them blasting Nissan, since they had to go through 4 months of stonewalling, going to the media, etc. to get Nissan to step up and do the right thing. I don't see any good will on Nissan's part, they just stepped up to try to squelch the negative PR. Unfortunately, the information that has subsequently come out (as a result of their efforts) pretty well validates that the Leaf should not have been sold/leased in Arizona (and other very hot climates) in the first place without proper disclosure.

Stoaty said:
dandrewk said:
...let's just assume you are correct that the initial news coverage got those folks their buybacks. So how to these same folks respond? By publicly blasting Nissan. So now the OP is threatening to do the same. How likely is Nissan likely to play ball here?
I can hardly blame them blasting Nissan, since they had to go through 4 months of stonewalling, going to the media, etc. to get Nissan to step up and do the right thing. I don't see any good will on Nissan's part, they just stepped up to try to squelch the negative PR. Unfortunately, the information that has subsequently come out (as a result of their efforts) pretty well validates that the Leaf should not have been sold/leased in Arizona (and other very hot climates) in the first place without proper disclosure.

I pretty much agree here. But in this case, their broadcasted ventings may be counter-productive to others in similar situations. They let off steam, well, bully for them! It would be better for everybody for them to host a "ha ha, f... you Nissan" party and end it there.

I don't advocate turning a blind eye to any of this. It's good to be proactive, as long as it's productive. Scream loud enough and perhaps the only result is to harden the other side. The ultimate result is often lose/lose.

Look, I haven't done anything with the media but make contact. If you want me to back off a little, that's fine. I can wait to see what happens next week, but I half expect them to lie, why else would they be sending someone out to fight it.

I mean, their engineer looked at the report and found an issue with the car. Another corporate employee said it was doing was a safety issue and offered to send a tow truck to get the car so I wouldn't have to drive it. And they have four chances to fix it and refused each time.

I can only imagine them denying everything.

Your situation is a bit different than the desert batteries. You may indeed have Lemon Law recourse. I'm not in your shoes, but if it were me I'd wait and see what shakes next week. I think your goal is restitution, and that would happen more quickly if Nissan tries to make things right.

dandrewk said:
Your condescending quips aside
Ease up, man. Attacking saintyohann for trying to fix his car is not going to get you any sympathy. It's pretty clear you haven't been following this thread, so I suggest that you read all 12 pages before you rag on saintyohann for taking the actions he has. He has tried to get Nissan to "make things right" now for months to no avail.

dandrewk said:
I pretty much agree here. But in this case, their broadcasted ventings may be counter-productive to others in similar situations. They let off steam, well, bully for them! It would be better for everybody for them to host a "ha ha, f... you Nissan" party and end it there.

Walk a mile in my shoes, buddy. Been there, done that. We tried various "keep quiet and work it with Nissan" approaches. Silence. Resistance. Denial. Refusal. Procrastination. EVERYONE was getting the same treatment from them. Eventually, you have to try other approaches.

drees said:
dandrewk said:
Your condescending quips aside
Ease up, man. Attacking saintyohann for trying to fix his car is not going to get you any sympathy. It's pretty clear you haven't been following this thread, so I suggest that you read all 12 pages before you rag on saintyohann for taking the actions he has. He has tried to get Nissan to "make things right" now for months to no avail.

1. I wasn't "attacking" anyone, that should be obvious, and your quote was from my post to another poster, not saintyjohn.

2. I have read all 12 pages, but -clearly- you haven't read this last one.

3. I'm not looking for sympathy. Where do you get that from?

4. I've already said saintyohann has "every right" to make things right. Read the thread before posting, paying particular attention to where -I- posted this:

I don't mean to dismiss your claim. You have a legitimate complaint, and I honestly wish you well with it.

dandrewk said:
1. I wasn't "attacking" anyone, that should be obvious
Obviously we have a failure to communicate here because it most certainly isn't and I'm not the only one who took your posts that way (look at saintyohann's and opossum's replys).

dandrewk said:
3. I'm not looking for sympathy.
No kidding.

I'm going to drop this and chalk it up to a big mis-understanding, but from the tone of your posts it seemed quite clear that saintyohann felt you were chiding him for taking the actions he's taking. He certainly does not need the extra stress. If that was not your intention, may I ask you to word your posts more carefully. Thank you.

I didn't take it as an attack, he was concerned I was going to hurt the community as a whole.

And the point I was trying to make by going to the media wasn't that the Leaf is a bad car, but that Nissan was a bad company, that did almost nothing to try to resolve a problem with one of their products.

saintyohann said:
I didn't take it as an attack, he was concerned I was going to hurt the community as a whole.

And the point I was trying to make by going to the media wasn't that the Leaf is a bad car, but that Nissan was a bad company, that did almost nothing to try to resolve a problem with one of their products.

That is a pretty rude thing to say. Sure Nissan has some issues but a bad company? That is not cool. Companies are slow to make adjustments to the facts, this is common so welcome to the real world. We should give them some more time, I know if I had battery issues I would be livid, luckily I don't. However, if you are unable to resolve your situation after giving it more time and effort you will have more of a case. Nobody made you buy a Leaf. We all hoped there would be no issues but most of us with common sense realized it would be a strong possibility.

I totally disagree with you that Nissan is bad and in fact think your statement is childish. Some managers are slow to action yes, but the company is not bad as a whole.
Saying such things makes you loose supporters. "You better check yourself before you wreck yourself".

That being said, I hope that Nissan buys back more cars from the few people who are unhappy, I am sooo tired of hearing about the hot climate cars and the people who are unable to drive as far as they hoped and as far as Nissan stupidly promised in 2010. I hope to god Nissan adds a TMS in 2013 and guarantees buyback for 6 months going forward. The people in hot climates should be taken care of if they have battery capacity issues. That makes total sense. Keep the pressure on and Nissan will do the right thing. It will take work and time to get there but that is to be expected.

EVDrive said:
That is a pretty rude thing to say. Sure Nissan has some issues but a bad company? That is not cool. Companies are slow to make adjustments to the facts, this is common so welcome to the real world.
Some companies (Nissan - Leaf) are slow to make adjustments to the facts, others are not (GM - Volt). I think that it is fair to say that Nissan is providing bad customer service for those having significant problems with their Leaf compared to GM. This has not always been the case. Recall in the early days when their was a problem Nissan was all over it. Now, not so much.

This bickering between you two needs to stop or take it to pm. Neither one is adding anything to the topic on this thread. Please stop and lets get back on topic.

Just agree to disagree, stop posting regarding each other and move on. Ugh!!!!!

Thanks for your consideration of others,

Ian B

MrIanB said:
This bickering between you two needs to stop or take it to pm. Neither one is adding anything to the topic on this thread. Please stop and lets get back on topic.
Out of curiosity, which two posters are bickering? I see responses from a variety of posters.

Stoaty said:
Out of curiosity, which two posters are bickering?
It's the Internet - of course there's bickering! :D (See what I did there? ;))

Anyway, back on topic: I hope that saintyohann gets the resolution he is looking for - BTW - what resolution would you be satisfied with? Actually fix the car? Replace the car with one that isn't flaky? Lemon-law buy back?

EVDrive said:
That is a pretty rude thing to say. ...
Saintyohann deserves none of this kind of crap he's getting here. He's pretty much been a saint about this. They keep handing him back a car that can strand him or his wife at any time and telling him there's nothing wrong with it...and not just the dealer, Nissan has had their chances to do right by him...if they don't I'll be thinking some pretty bad thoughts about them myself. Hopefully they'll step up here, but if not, I hope the local press can help him out.

Back