CHARGING FLAP OPENS WHEN IN TRANSIT

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaffa

Hello,
I'm brand new to this forum. I bought my NISSAN LEAF a year ago. It was registered December 2020. I'm sure my query has probably been aired before, but here goes:-
On occasions, the Charging flap will open when travelling. I have tried to be firm when closing it, but still it sometimes (not always) springs open, usually on a Motorway when the speed is usually faster. Is there a simple fix/adjustment required to stop this happening. I tend to stop as soon as it is safe to avoid any extra strain on the mechanism, but it is becoming increasingly annoying.
From jaffa

If you are sure you are pressing down firmly on the charge port door when closing it, then perhaps the latch just needs to be lubricated, or the wire needs to be adjusted slightly.

Another possibility is that you are inadvertently triggering the latch release button on the FOB, while it's in your pocket when driving. You could easily rule out that possibility by putting your key fob elsewhere while driving, as least temporarily until you rule that out.

You may be inadvertently pressing the release button on the fob (in your pocket) while the car is parked and then the charge port opens after you get up to motorway speed. I have had this happen a few times when I work on something in the garage or yard while within range of the car. I suspect my pocket knife bumps the fob button when I am working on something. The electric release should not function when the car is on (I have verified that neither the dash button nor the fob button will activate the release when my car is on). I now try to remember to press on the charge port door to make sure it is latched before driving if I have been doing something that may have inadvertently pressed the release button on the fob.

Thanks Gerry, Yes I can see where you are coming from. You may have something there, but I don't think this is the case. Remembering to check the flap before driving is a bit of an issue, But thanks for your response.

I have also had this happen multiple times over the past 3.5 years of ownership & ultimately discovered the button on the key fob was inadvertently getting pressed from leaning against something or w/e. I changed which pocket I use because I wear cargo type shorts/pants and the problem no longer occurs so I'm satisfied that I was causing the flap opening.

There's a part of me that has considered removing the silicone membrane from the key fob to avoid the accidental pressing because I literally never physically use the key fob buttons but so far have not done that.

and yes the flap only opens at roughly 65ish mph speeds in my experience

This happened to my daughter today. She was on the interstate so likely going 65 mph and the flap popped open. It sort of freaked her out but she was near an exit and was able to get off the road safely and close it. When she got home and told me about it, I saw she had her raincoat. I asked her if the fob was in the pocket of her coat because if so, she probably leaned on it somehow and pressed the button. She looked skeptical but I told her I had read about this happening on this forum. Going forward, she will put the fob in the cup holder.

Thanks for sharing this, otherwise we would never have known what was going on!

LHN said:
This happened to my daughter today. She was on the interstate so likely going 65 mph and the flap popped open. It sort of freaked her out but she was near an exit and was able to get off the road safely and close it. When she got home and told me about it, I saw she had her raincoat. I asked her if the fob was in the pocket of her coat because if so, she probably leaned on it somehow and pressed the button. She looked skeptical but I told her I had read about this happening on this forum. Going forward, she will put the fob in the cup holder.

Thanks for sharing this, otherwise we would never have known what was going on!

Note pushing the FOB when the car is ON has no effect on opening the charge port lid but before the car is started it would open it,

jjeff said:
Note pushing the FOB when the car is ON has no effect on opening the charge port lid but before the car is started it would open it,

Well, reading this thread, it something is happening to people and there seems to be a relationship between speed (going fast) and where the key fob is located (in a pocket). Someone just posted about this on r/leaf over on reddit so it is happening to people.

I also realized that we had just changed the battery in the key fob the day before, so I wonder if that an effect, too--ie, there was more power in the fob due to the new battery.

LHN said:
Well, reading this thread, it something is happening to people and there seems to be a relationship between speed (going fast) and where the key fob is located (in a pocket).

The known speed relationship is aerodynamics. I once forgot to latch the cover and it didn't pop up until about 65mph. This doesn't answer the question of whether the lid is becoming unlatched prior to, or during a drive. That can be answered by checking the lid prior to each drive.

As mentioned, the fob release should not activate while in drive mode. This can be tested easily enough.

If the fob is activating the release while parked, then troubleshoot whether it's a physical button press or a phantom. E.g., take out the batteries and use the emergency key for awhile or be very careful handling the fobs.

If the latch is releasing while underway, then a good look at the latch mechanism is in order to see if it is a mechanical problem, or perhaps the cable adjustment is too tight, etc...

LHN said:
jjeff said:

Well, reading this thread, it something is happening to people and there seems to be a relationship between speed (going fast) and where the key fob is located (in a pocket). Someone just posted about this on r/leaf over on reddit so it is happening to people.

I also realized that we had just changed the battery in the key fob the day before, so I wonder if that an effect, too--ie, there was more power in the fob due to the new battery.
Perhaps you pressed the button on the fob after inserting the new battery and unlatched the port door. Then the port flipped open the next time the car reached high enough speed on the highway.

You can test the interlock by pressing the fob button while the car is sitting still and on. Then see if you can open the port. I suspect you will find that pressing the fob button (or the dash button) does not unlatch the port when the car is on.

LHN said:
jjeff said:

For me it's always an unintentional key fob press while I am out of the car. I use my leaf for work & so I make up to 15-20 stops in a day so there's TONS of opportunities for this to occur until I moved the fob to a different pocket to avoid this issue.

I am surprised there is not a dash icon akin to a door ajar indicator especially since we have a spiffy graphic that pops up when the hatch or any of the doors are not fully shut...

Back