Charging Stations and Ediquette

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stukid

Driving around the Westshore area of Tampa today, there are two public charging area's. One is at the Science building of HCC. When I found the charging station, both spots were being occupied as a conventional parking spot. OK, no big deal. The AAA office about a mile away has 2 chargers, and a Starbucks across the street. Zip over there, and there are 2 Chevy Volts occupting the chargers. When I checked the stations, both were "COMPLETE."
I guess what I'm saying is we as EV drivers need to be aware if we're using public chargers. If your vehicle is done charging, please move it.
Am I preaching to the choir, or has this happened to you too? :x
I wasnt expecting a full charge on my lunch break, but now I know to use the ChargePoint app prior to leaving so I can see if local stations are being used...

As I am pretty new to EV and public car charging as well I has the same question and I believe it is in a thread here on the forum but I'll put the link direct to the evchargernews website and the charge protocol sign that every EV should carry with them if using public charging.

http://www.evchargernews.com/chargeprotocolcard.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Print this out and follow the directions and display whenever you are using public EVSEs. If most or all did this it would be a better world. The fact is that some plug in at these stations and either go to work for 8 hours or only need 1-2 hours of charge top off but are off doing whatever and do not return to move their car or to even un-lug so another can use it.
The card will let someone like yourself know if it's OK to unplug a EV that is done charging or at least give a contact # to call if you need an emergency charge.

The only solution to this problem is charging for parking (because people are familiar with this) a higher rate than normal parking in the area, and then towing for those who do not pay... a parking meter type is fine.

I would note that there are plenty of circumstances where parking in the charging spot after the charge is complete is to be expected. If I go to a concert or movie, and plug in, I'm not going to leave in the middle to go and move my car. Same thing goes for a meal. A PIP driver might well complete a charge while having dinner. I wouldn't expect him to interrupt his meal to move the car.

Logistically, it would be asking too much to make people move when they are done charging. What really needs to happen is the charging cables need to be long enough to provide access to cars not parked in spaces with a charger. The adjacent spaces can still be EV spaces but need not have a charger. This would be easy to do and not create additional expense of another charger.

However, what is more pressing are cars parked at DC Quickchargers unattended and plugged in. I was at the Toy Loft in LA on 662 Mateo. There is a Blink DC QC with two connectors. The connectors are short and cannot extend past the parking spaces in front of them. I was low and wanted a 15min quickcharge that would get me from 25% to 80%. Two Leafs were parked unattended and connected. I waited 15 min but the owners of the Leafs never showed up. I left and go to my destination with 3 miles left on the GOM. Luckily there was a Nissan dealer near where I was visiting and I parked my car and Level 2 charged for 5 hours. Thank you Nissan Mission Hills.

Please, if you are using a DC Quickcharger, you should never use it for more than 15-20 minutes anyways. At empty, My leaf can put in 48KW/hr. When is is ~80% full, that drops to 10KW/hr. At that point, it is not worthwhile waiting for any more charge. There is absolutely no reason to leave a car unattended at a DC QC station.

TinMachine said:
As I am pretty new to EV and public car charging as well I has the same question and I believe it is in a thread here on the forum but I'll put the link direct to the evchargernews website and the charge protocol sign that every EV should carry with them if using public charging.

http://www.evchargernews.com/chargeprotocolcard.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The card is a bit out of date, as the phrase "Please reconnect the charger if you return before I do." isn't applicable in most instances (e.g., Chargepoint).

Stoaty said:
TinMachine said:

The card is a bit out of date, as the phrase "Please reconnect the charger if you return before I do." isn't applicable in most instances (e.g., Chargepoint).
True, but a good starting point. Main purpose is to indicate to other drivers what time you will be done charging, and a cell number to call, or text, if questions. I added how to tell if MY car is charging, and that the car does not alarm on disconnect.

Blink doesn't have any stations here in Tampa, but there are plenty of ChargePoint units around. In my case, I had limited time. I will now use the app to find if a station is "available!"
That way, I can find an open station, or change my plans...
The amazing thing is, I can accept a change in my driving habits, and it's OK ;)
A month or so ago, before I bought the Leaf, that would not have been the case.
I am proof that an old dog can learn new tricks. I recall a conversation with a colleague some time ago. "A car that only goes 100 miles...No way!
When I realized that my average commute is 25 miles one way, and I still could drive the Prius if I had to go a long way away, I was hooked.
Bye Bye gas stations, :lol: Hello to my new EV driver friends, and any place with a J1772 plug in chargestation! :p

Stoaty said:
TinMachine said:

True. I forgot to mention I modified the card apropriately for this. By stating please call before unplugging.

Hi fellow Floridian!!
We disconnect the complete charged car and reconnect to our leaf. Then I go into the AAA building and let them know that I have disconnected Volt xxxxx license plate. Both of the black Volts are AAA employees and 'forget' that they have appropriated the L2 charging stations.
For the Westshore Mall, I usually go to the parking attendent station or the information booth and complain. (I know, it's mean but it's like people who park in fire lanes because they're too damn lazy and 'only going to be a moment'.)

Welcome to Leaf-land!! :D

tranhv68 said:
Please, if you are using a DC Quickcharger, you should never use it for more than 15-20 minutes anyways. At empty, My leaf can put in 48KW/hr. When is is ~80% full, that drops to 10KW/hr. At that point, it is not worthwhile waiting for any more charge. There is absolutely no reason to leave a car unattended at a DC QC station.

Hear. Hear.

Stukid said:
Blink doesn't have any stations here in Tampa, but there are plenty of ChargePoint units around. In my case, I had limited time. I will now use the app to find if a station is "available!"
The amazing thing is, I can accept a change in my driving habits, and it's OK ;)
I am proof that an old dog can learn new tricks. I recall a conversation with a colleague some time ago. "A car that only goes 100 miles...No way!
When I realized that my average commute is 25 miles one way, and I still could drive the Prius if I had to go a long way away, I was hooked.
Bye Bye gas stations, :lol: Hello to my new EV driver friends, and any place with a J1772 plug in chargestation! :p

Thanks. With all of the other hoopla, it's good to be reminded of the beauty of this equation. As I was driving recently, the car in front of me peeled off into a service station, and then the car behind me peeled off into the same service station. I had to smile, especially when I noticed there was also a "SMOG Check" station just down the road. SUCK IT, Chevron! :lol:

Stukid said:

That works until they put the stations in at the Chevrons, lol. Run in for a quick soda while waiting for the QC.

i admit to leaving my LEAF unattended at QC at Discovery Center in downtown Seattle. i had it set to only do "fast charging" where i get about a kw every 75 seconds since i felt that was best use of my time. i guessed it would take 11 minutes (it took about 12) and figured a dash across the street for coffee and croissant could be done in that time or less. i was wrong. it took 18 minutes for the food.

DaveinOlyWA said:
i admit to leaving my LEAF unattended at QC at Discovery Center in downtown Seattle. i had it set to only do "fast charging" where i get about a kw every 75 seconds since i felt that was best use of my time. i guessed it would take 11 minutes (it took about 12) and figured a dash across the street for coffee and croissant could be done in that time or less. i was wrong. it took 18 minutes for the food.

FOR SHAME SIR!!! :shock:

DaveinOlyWA said:
Patronizing a coffee shop or convenience store and immediately returning during your QC is perfectly reasonable.

Stukid said:
It would be nice to have QC stations here...
Ditto. The L2 charging stations here aren't really an issue - for the most part they aren't prime parking spots, but they are $2.40/hr, which is absurdly expensive. They would get much more business at $1.20/hr, and make more total profit. Talking to the company that runs them, though, they don't want to hear it. So they sit unused.

Back