Cost for the optional 6.6kW charger in the 2013 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herm

The rumors are that the new 6.6kW charger in the 2013 Leaf will be an extra cost option. Are you interested and how much do you think it will cost?

I'm sure Nissan will bundle it with other options so it may be hard to figure out the $$.

This is pure conjecture at this point so I don't think it is even worth considering until more is known. I contend that it would make no sense for Nissan to offer and have to deal with two different chargers on the same car - and would be a competitive disadvantage - and thus I think it unlikely...

Herm said:
The rumors are that the new 6.6kW charger in the 2013 Leaf will be an extra cost option. Are you interested and how much do you think it will cost?
I'm sure Nissan will bundle it with other options so it may be hard to figure out the $$.

I also believe 6.6 kW will become "standard" and not optional for the U.S. market, but time will tell. (The handful of new competitors, mostly compliance or test vehicles, are at least 6.6 kW now.)

1:02
Mark Perry: I'm the car guy. Responsible for taking the LEAF from concept into production. Over the lifecycle we want product updates to constanty improve the car.
1:06
Comment From KeiJidosha
Smyrna LEAF. When will cars roll off the line? Will they have a 6.6kW charger?

1:06
Mark Perry: We expect Start of production in December 2012. And yes a 6.6Kw charger will be an option.

1:20
Comment From Amir
What is expected battery capacity after 8 years and 100000 miles?

1:20
Mark Perry: Amir...under normal use 70-80% of capacity left

If you reads his words carefully, he was very ambiguous about it and essentially left the matter unresolved. Remember what he also said about a 6.6 update for 2011/2012 cars and which we now know will never come to pass... One must always carry a number of large grains of salt for such things...

Herm said:
Supposedly it came from Mark Perry, he is pretty high up in Nissan.

TomT said:
I'm not planning to buy a 2013 (or 2014) so it is moot to me... But to answer your question, probably no more than 500 bucks...
Herm said:
Tom, if it does become an option, what are you willing to pay?
We had a similar thread in the past, and I believe that the majority of respondents indicated something in the vicinity of $1 or $2K.

Id pay $3k for the Chameleon charger. 6.6kW is the 2013 basement. As an option it’s like offering air conditioning as an option, its a price leader gimmick and will become difficult to sell, but attractive to advertise. If Nissan uses it to price the 2013 S version at $28k with the 6.6kW as a $1k option, that’s fine.

I think it's a good idea to offer it as an option. If it's added as a standard feature, it's going to increase the cost of the base price. That's not something the LEAF needs at this point. If I could trade the sat nav and XM for a cheaper car price, I would do it. I'm sure there are some people in warmer states that would like to cut two hundred bucks in favor of losing the heated seats and heated steering wheel.

why would it significantly increase the price?
I would think that the production cost of the two charger variations would be about the same.
no?

It doesn't work that way in the marketing world...

But in the electronics world the difference between 16 amps and 32 amps on the input side isn't trivial either.
TomT said:
It doesn't work that way in the electronics world... The difference in cost would be relatively small.
mkjayakumar said:
6.6 is two times 3.3. So it will cost twice as much !!

I have read in previous threads that the 6.6 charger is more expensive than the 3.3.....the total cost being impacted by the more expensive charger itself plus a different more robust harness as well. This was the reasoning why the 3.3 equipped cars couldn't be retro-fitted cost effectively and thus nixing that as an offered option.

So, if the cold-weather pkg on the 2012 increased the cost of it, why wouldn't the 2013 LEAF's price increase with the installation of a more expensive charger?....especially since Nissan is supposedly taking a loss on every 2011-2012 Japan-produced LEAF. Will producing in Nashville drop the price that much initially?....how?.....are Japan-to-US shipping costs that much of a component in the cost and thus pricing? I can see that if the Nashville plant starts pumping out far larger quantities over time, both cars and battery packs, then costs will go down allowing a lower price but I don't see how initially, the cost could go down. I also have read how the price is expected to go down after the tax incentives go away.....I am not seeing/understanding that correlation either, unless the price is being artificially kept high to absorb the Fed and State tax breaks. Nissan must not really be taking a loss or making a minimal amount on each.

Of course it would, but not even remotely close to twice the cost of the 3.3... Let me give you an example: Three years ago I bought a 500 watt transmitter for a project... Last year I bought a 1,200 watt version from the same company for the same price...

dsr302 said:
So, if the cold-weather pkg on the 2012 increased the cost of it, why wouldn't the 2013 LEAF's price increase with the installation of a more expensive charger?

dsr302 said:
I have read in previous threads that the 6.6 charger is more expensive than the 3.3.....the total cost being impacted by the more expensive charger itself plus a different more robust harness as well. This was the reasoning why the 3.3 equipped cars couldn't be retro-fitted cost effectively and thus nixing that as an offered option.

So, if the cold-weather pkg on the 2012 increased the cost of it, why wouldn't the 2013 LEAF's price increase with the installation of a more expensive charger?....especially since Nissan is supposedly taking a loss on every 2011-2012 Japan-produced LEAF. Will producing in Nashville drop the price that much initially?....how?.....are Japan-to-US shipping costs that much of a component in the cost and thus pricing? I can see that if the Nashville plant starts pumping out far larger quantities over time, both cars and battery packs, then costs will go down allowing a lower price but I don't see how initially, the cost could go down. I also have read how the price is expected to go down after the tax incentives go away.....I am not seeing/understanding that correlation either, unless the price is being artificially kept high to absorb the Fed and State tax breaks. Nissan must not really be taking a loss or making a minimal amount on each.
In addition to reduced transportation costs, forgoing the Dollar/Yen exchange rate through domestic production will improve profitability of the Smyrna built LEAF (and batteries), starting with the first car off the line.

Carlos Ghosn’s other job is running Renault. They have introduced the ZOE which has a 43kW charger and costs less than the LEAF. It will be difficult to justify raising the price of the LEAF for 6.6kW on board charging

KeiJidosha said:
dsr302 said:

In addition to reduced transportation costs, forgoing the Dollar/Yen exchange rate through domestic production will improve profitability of the Smyrna built LEAF (and batteries), starting with the first car off the line.

Carlos Ghosn’s other job is running Renault. They have introduced the ZOE which has a 43kW charger and costs less than the LEAF. It will be difficult to justify raising the price of the LEAF for 6.6kW on board charging

Good points.....so the exchange rate is the savings engine. It must going to be saving a bundle especially if Nissan adds the 6.6 charger AND the improved heat-pump-type heating system and the Tax credits go away, all still allowing for a price drop. Hmmmmm, now, I wonder how the intangible cost can be factored into this costing model of having a high-tech LEAF & battery built domestically compared to ones built in Japan?......<shuddering as I recall the build-quality issues of the lower-tech Titan truck during the Canton plant start up>...to me there is value in the ones built in Japan ;) :D

Back