Epic Charge Failure at Atlanta Airport-- SPX Charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcooper367

I have been leasing a 2013 Leaf S model with the upgraded 6.6 KWh charger for about 6 weeks. I made my first trip to the Atlanta airport from Suwanee, GA. I decided to park at Park N Fly Plus because they advertise EV charging for $5. I've never made this trip with the electric car before. When I got to the parking lot, they valet electric cars so that they can charge them on their one charger. I had 45% battery left. I was going to be back the next day-- but LATE (e.g., 10 or 10:30 PM).

When I picked up my car.....it was NOT charged. The attendant said it had been on the charger for most of the day. He drove me to the charger (an SPX). I believe it was an SPX XPress, but didn't get all the details. We plugged in the charger, and my Leaf beeped but the lights on the dash never lit up to indicate charging. The charger has a green power light and another status light. The status light was red when connected to my car-- indicating a fault. There was a Leaf next to us that had the 3.8 KWh charger which would work fine when connected. The status light was green when connected to the other Leaf.

The attendant said that they have had some problem with Leafs.

I ended up scrambling to find another EV charger that time night. (Some of the ones in Atlanta are in parking garages which are not open to the public 24/7). I ended up driving to a bar about 10 miles away (5 miles out of my way) and charging on their Blink station. I let it charge about 1.5 hours while I waited in the bar.

I'm taking the car to the dealer next week to see if there are any stored error codes?

The Park N Fly Plus has been in contact with SPX.

Any suggestions / recommendations?

There's a known issue with the SPX Express chargers and LEAF end time only timers. The workaround is to make sure all timers are off.

You should post this in this thread: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1442&start=310#p203716" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If its not the end timer issue, Have you done the software upgrade that fixes most of the charging problem being reported in many of our forums?
Are you aware or a member of the EV Club of the South? One issue was found earlier this year and by July Nissan has come up with a software solution that must be installed at the dealership.

Back