EVSE Home Assessment Scheduling is Live!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone gets an idea of what the cost of the charging unit is, without the installation, please share. It would be nice to understand what this company is going to charge for installation.

Clippy said:
1. pay AeroVironment Inc. in full. you can do this anytime after you've ordered your Nissan LEAF

So, you pay & get the charger installed after you have "ordered" Leaf.

LakeLeaf said:
If anyone gets an idea of what the cost of the charging unit is, without the installation, please share. It would be nice to understand what this company is going to charge for installation.

Not just installing - it includes paperwork to get the required permits.

I'd bet it will be cheaper to get it from them instead of buying EVSE @ retail and getting it installed - unless may be you can install it yourself (or you have a brother or friend who will do it for free).

LakeLeaf said:

I would be particularly interested if anyone gets a quote under $2200. I know my installation will take only about an hour of labor... I have a 200 amp panel with plenty of empty space right there in my garage, and no drywall, no need for conduit. EASY.

Permits are cheap and not difficult to obtain.

Bicster said:
I would be particularly interested if anyone gets a quote under $2200. I know my installation will take only about an hour of labor... I have a 200 amp panel with plenty of empty space right there in my garage, and no drywall, no need for conduit. EASY.

Permits are cheap and not difficult to obtain.

You can contact ECOtality and see if they will sell the EVSE directly.

Bicster said:
Clippy said:
This is also interesting. It makes it sound as though a dedicated 120v circuit would be OK. (lower case, theirs, bold type mine)

Clippy, that's nothing new; the car comes with the 120V charger. It consumes about 12 amps and won't require a dedicated circuit, although any other significant load on the circuit will trip the breaker. If you drive only short distances it might be all you need.

I guess what I meant to say is will the fact that I have a 120v outlet right in front of the car in my garage and a 120v outlet available at work (a whole 5 miles away) qualify me for whatever it is that needs qualification. Is this an assessment to install or an assessment to qualify for the car?

LEAF Dude:
Thank you for contacting Nissan LEAF Electric Vehicle Customer Support, my name is Deciduous. How may I help you today Foo?

Me:
Hi Deciduous. I've scheduled my assessment. But I had planned on using just a trickle charge. I have access to a 120v circuit in my garage and one at my jobsite (5 miles away). Do I need a 240v charger?

LD:
Thank you for your interest in the Nissan LEAF Electric Vehicle, I am happy to answer that for you. Please give me a moment to research your inquiry, Insert name here. Yes, you will need to have a home charging dock installed. Trickle charging is for emergency charging only and you will have to sign a waiver if you elect not to have a home charging dock installed.

LD:
The home charging dock 'talks' to the battery. It moderates the charging current so as to prolong the battery life and improve performance.

ME:
Will that waiver disqualify me from getting a LEAF or is it just something you will require before you will sell/lease me a LEAF. I work at a place with a couple of Plug in vehicles (Prius') and already have permission to use the outlets.

LD:
Nissan can only vouch for equipment that it has tested. Nissan have only tested the AV unit. Although there will be many “J1772 Compliant” EVSEs available, Nissan cannot know how well another manufacturers equipment complies. Details about the use of a waiver will be released sometime in the near future.

LD:
The home charging dock provided by AeroVironment, Inc. is compatible with the Nissan LEAF. Other manufacturer products may or may not be compatible. Prior to purchasing and/or using another manufacturer’s charging equipment, you need to confirm its compatibility with the Nissan LEAF.

Me:
Got it. I'm not opposed to spending the money, so I guess I'm getting a charger for home and I'll plug in at work.

LD:
That will be the optimal set up. The home charging dock is designed to prolong battery life and enhance performance. Features such as remotely initiating and monitoring charging and climate control make this a useful if not necessary accessory.

Me:
Great! Thanks for your help!

LD:
Before we end our conversation, I want to ensure your needs have been met. Do you have any additional questions about what we discussed today?

Me:
No, just waiting for the electrician, or someone like him. Thanks again! Can't wait to plug in my new LEAF.

evnow said:
Clippy said:
1. pay AeroVironment Inc. in full. you can do this anytime after you've ordered your Nissan LEAF

So, you pay & get the charger installed after you have "ordered" Leaf.

The way I read it is you get assessed, agree to payment terms. ("Just add that to the lease, won't you? Thanks") You get the charger permitted (if the permit/inspection process is anything like the joke that the fellow that installed my panel upgrade went through, it'll take about five minutes. And we have a municipal utility that signs off on everything). You get the charger installed, tested and inspected (see above). You get the demo, then you get the car.

You give me charger, you give me car, I give you money, simple?

Clippy said:
LD:
Before we end our conversation, I want to ensure your needs have been met. Do you have any additional questions about what we discussed today?

Me:
No, just waiting for the electrician, or someone like him. Thanks again! Can't wait to plug in my new LEAF.

Nice "Firesign Theater" reference, yes, some of us are actually THAT old.

What they are telling us is, the 120V Portable emergency EVSE can't do the fancy communication with the car (not likely, since thats handled by the Leafs IT system), what they are really telling you is, you can't draw enough power from that setup to pre-heat or pre-cool because of the low amperage.

I would still investigate getting an EVSE and getting a local electrician to install it, I bet the market will be flooded with them shortly, and they will be all over eBay within a short time.

mitch672 said:
what they are really telling you is, you can't draw enough power from that setup (120v) to pre-heat or pre-cool because of the low amperage.

Damn! That would be disappointing.....that was my summer plan for the drive home. Guess I'll have to go with plan B (naked).

mwalsh said:
Just now got an email from Nissan advising me that I can make an appointment. Guess they're a bit behind the ball. :lol:
Heh - nah, I think you were just ahead of the ball. They had to either put the web site up first, or send the emails out first. If they put the website up first, then they have people like you that are checking it every 30 minutes (c'mon, admit it - how else did you know about this? :D ) getting to the page before the emails go out. If they sent the mails out first, then they would have people going to a website that didn't exist.

mitch672 said:
Clippy said:
LD:

Me:

KRLA Radio Free OZ. Over 40 years ago? Can't be, it seems like yesterday. Of course if you feel that way it just proves you are that old.

I think what Nissan is trying to say is, <RayLiotta> F%$& You, pay me.</RayLiotta>

Just think of it as being the TruCoat. Instead of being installed at the factory, it's in your garage.

I always pay too much for stuff anyways, why should this be any different?

Clippy said:
mitch672 said:
Clippy said:
LD:

Me:

KRLA Radio Free OZ. Over 40 years ago? Can't be, it seems like yesterday. Of course if you feel that way it just proves you are that old.

I think what Nissan is trying to say is, <RayLiotta> F%$& You, pay me.</RayLiotta>

Just think of it as being the TruCoat. Instead of being installed at the factory, it's in your garage.

I always pay too much for stuff anyways, why should this be any different?

nope, that's the name of a "Firesign Theater" alblum, "Waiting for the electrician, or someone like him"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waiting_for_the_Electrician_or_Someone_Like_Him
and
http://www.firesigntheatre.com/albums/album.php?album=wfte

I just got my email 15 minutes ago. Dates were available in early July. I was a bit put off that we have to fork over $100 just to be assessed. I know it applies to the final cost, but what if we don't like the car when we finally get to test drive it and we cancel the purchase? This is the first non-refundable thing we're being charged for, and although it's only $100, my instinct is to wait and see how others fare with their assessments. Since the car isn't going to be available until December at the earliest, I don't see any harm in waiting until August for this so I can see if any issues come up from the earlier adopters like you guys. E.g., other electricians who do it for half the cost, unexpected high costs for the charger installation due to home issues (that I can then check out for myself), etc. What if I buy an Aptera instead? Or maybe I'm just a cheapskate, but I couldn't quite bring myself to put that credit card number in there yet.

Those in the "Free Charger Study Group" are going to get their emails in the next few days.

Just got off the phone with Leaf Support.

Chris

cmjars said:
Those in the "Free Charger Study Group" are going to get their emails in the next few days.

Great.

ECOtality, pls, pls, pls give me the charger. I even have it in my sig :twisted:

evnow said:
cmjars said:

Great.

ECOtality, pls, pls, pls give me the charger. I even have it in my sig :twisted:

He said if you didn't get the Home Assessment Scheduling email and you live in one of the "Free Charger Study Group" areas then it's promising.

I too received the e-mail after I scheduled the assessment for July16th. I already know what they'll tell me: I need to upgrade our 100A service on our 80 yr. old house to 200A. And, our box is in the furthest spot it could possibly be from the detached garage. This will be fun. I wonder how much it'll all cost. Isn't it like $2,000-$3,000 just to upgrade from 100A to 200A? Plus the cost of routing wiring to my garage? It needs to be done anyway, I guess, espcially if we want to install PV panels in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back