EVSE Installation, Info and Cost Comparison Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pgrovetom said:
I'm having my assessment which should be a good test. I've already installed the conduit and wiring from a new breaker in my garage sub-panel to my preferred EVSE location. That means the actual installer only needs to pull the permit online ( no inspection for a licensed electrician) and mount the EVSE and connect my wires. It can't get any cheaper for the installing electrician. So I'm hoping my cost should be about the permit = $75 + EVSE unit cost = $750 + 1 Hr labor = $125. That should put it in the $900-$1000 range. By removing most of the labor and electrical material cost, I will find out the real minimum and so post it here. I'm also curious how the assessor will react when he sees I've simplified ( and removed profit ) from their work. Stay tuned!

We can compare estimates as mine is the same, remember there is time required to return for the permit inspection in some cases, regardless expect your total price to be $2200 without any deductions. A more reasonable charge should be $750 + $75 + 3 hours max labor. I will be very interested to compare numbers with you, please PM me when you have a total and we can compare, I'm still waiting for my bid.

We can compare estimates as mine is the same, remember there is time required to return for the permit inspection in some cases, regardless expect your total price to be $2200 without any deductions. A more reasonable charge should be $750 + $75 + 3 hours max labor. I will be very interested to compare numbers with you, please PM me when you have a total and we can compare, I'm still waiting for my bid.

Ok I just had m assessment and even though I won't have a quote for a little while, I learned some things as the electrician was quite talkative. He looked at my wiring and said it was good and mine wold be an "easy one". He told me that I would be a standard install. He said if he had to add an entire sub-panel with underground from my house he would charge an additional $750 and make about $200. Then he said since mine was a standard that he would make some money. He was a bit sloppy with some of his comments and a little used car sale like. Based on his comments, it sounded like when someone like me does all his work and provides the materials, they get to charge some flat fee and the hour ( or less ) it will take isn't going to be how they charge. If I had been a more difficult job, he would have to work to make whatever flat rate he has been promised. He didn't seem to realize I would have the choice of using Level 1 and waiting and buying a level 2 EVSE later and either pulling the permit myself or hiring an electrician hourly.

Here in Sonoma County, a licensed electrician can pull an online permit for a small electrical job with NO final inspection. If I did it myself, they would want 2 inspections to be sure it met code as with my PV system. So the contractor can pay online for a permit and not even have to be here for an inspection. It looks like the game plan is to make money on the easy jobs and pretend it won't turn people off who will just wait it out. We will see when my quote comes but the assessment guy spilled the beans.

pgrovetom said:

Ok I just had m assessment and even though I won't have a quote for a little while, I learned some things as the electrician was quite talkative. He looked at my wiring and said it was good and mine wold be an "easy one". He told me that I would be a standard install. He said if he had to add an entire sub-panel with underground from my house he would charge an additional $750 and make about $200. Then he said since mine was a standard that he would make some money. He was a bit sloppy with some of his comments and a little used car sale like. Based on his comments, it sounded like when someone like me does all his work and provides the materials, they get to charge some flat fee and the hour ( or less ) it will take isn't going to be how they charge. If I had been a more difficult job, he would have to work to make whatever flat rate he has been promised. He didn't seem to realize I would have the choice of using Level 1 and waiting and buying a level 2 EVSE later and either pulling the permit myself or hiring an electrician hourly.

Here in Sonoma County, a licensed electrician can pull an online permit for a small electrical job with NO final inspection. If I did it myself, they would want 2 inspections to be sure it met code as with my PV system. So the contractor can pay online for a permit and not even have to be here for an inspection. It looks like the game plan is to make money on the easy jobs and pretend it won't turn people off who will just wait it out. We will see when my quote comes but the assessment guy spilled the beans.

That's pretty standard contracting to try to get as much profit as possible. If they refuse to offer a discount for the work I did and since mine is standard regardless, I will just ask them to run the conduit again so I have a second for another car, perhaps that will change their pricing. No reasonable electrician will do the work without a decent profit nor walk away from an easy job just to stick to a fixed price, unless you negotiate. By Fall you should be able to buy and install your own at a better price.

I've got a similar "easy" install.
Dedicated 8/3 running to garage box straight from 30A breaker on main 200A panel.
Box is within a foot of where I want EVSE installed.
Assessor scheduled to come next week.
Here's my "Live Chat" exchange on the topic of EVSE install cost.
Looks like $2200 is the minimum install charge.
Basically, the $1200 pays for "peace of mind".

Edina
Thank you for contacting Nissan Electric Vehicle Customer Support, my name is Edina. How may I help you today Sparky?

Sparky
Hi Edna, I am scheduled for my EVSE assessment next week.
I have read several reports from folks who have already received their
assessment that their quotes are a minimum of $2200.
In my case, I have owned an EV for several years and my garage is equipped with a hookup for the EVSE at the right spot. Is $2200 the minimum charge for the EVSE? As you can imagine being charged $1200 labor for an hour's worth of work seems excessive.

Edina
Thank you for that information Sparky, Standard installation will cost $2,200 (including the price of the dock). There is a federal tax incentive of 50 percent of the cost up to $2,000 towards the purchase and installation of home charging equipment. While it’s not mandatory for a customer to purchase a charging station through Nissan upon the acquisition of a Nissan LEAF, we strongly encourage it. That’s because Nissan is providing a one-stop shop experience for the consumer, which includes a home assessment and covers the complete installation process. Whether the charging unit is bought and installed through Nissan or done separately, we recommend anyone buying a Nissan LEAF have a charging unit installed at their home.

Sparky
First of all, I don't qualify for the tax credit, so no $1000 savings. It seems your answer then is $2200 is the minimum fee. Or I can order the LEAF without the charger. True?

Edina
That is correct, how ever we do not recommend ordering the car with out the charger, We go through a list of benefits of having AV handle the installation:

3 Year full on-site warranty vs 3 year parts only return to Monrovia
Certified trained electricians will do the job the right way the first time.
Installation that complies with all safety and regulation applicable to their location.
We handle pulling all required permits.
Fully tested charger using AV proprietary service tool, knowing the unit will work before the car is delivered.
Face to face tutorial and informative "How-to" training.
Cost is competitive, particularly when you add possible tax credits that you cannot get if you do it yourself.
Peace of mind knowing a reputable long standing leader and pioneer in this industry is 100% behind the installation and the product."

Sparky
Got it. I'll have the assessment done and decide if I prefer to order the LEAF without the extra $1200 AV fee. Thanks for your info.

Edina
You are welcome Sparky, Before we end our conversation, I want to ensure your needs have been met. Do you have any additional questions about what we discussed today?

garygid said:
Cannot get tax credit if you "do it yourself"?
Is that incorrect?

I suspect that all your expenses (maybe not "your" labor) would qualify, right?

Your labor will not but the parts will. More fluff. People do their own solar and get rebates.

If I hire someone (even a friend) to do the work, or help me do the work, and get a signed receipt, perhaps also pay with a check, that would also be valid "ESVE system" expenses, right?

Anything that will pass an audit should be fine :)

Obviously, the AV / Nissan thing will be the simplest. If you pay a friend to help you - make sure he puts that as an income in his returns ;)

SeattleBlueLeaf said:
Leviton Announces Residential Charging Stations for Electric Vehicle Market
http://bit.ly/ajXAdR

The fact Leviton is doing this shows how the market for these will explode, the press release mentions portable as well. I expect AV is trying to get as many people installed before their large margins are killed.

pgrovetom said:
I'm having my assessment which should be a good test. I've already installed the conduit and wiring from a new breaker in my garage sub-panel to my preferred EVSE location. That means the actual installer only needs to pull the permit online ( no inspection for a licensed electrician) and mount the EVSE and connect my wires. It can't get any cheaper for the installing electrician. So I'm hoping my cost should be about the permit = $75 + EVSE unit cost = $750 + 1 Hr labor = $125. That should put it in the $900-$1000 range. By removing most of the labor and electrical material cost, I will find out the real minimum and so post it here. I'm also curious how the assessor will react when he sees I've simplified ( and removed profit ) from their work. Stay tuned!

What gauge wire did you run? 3 wires I assume?

Do you know if your wiring is good for a 6.6kW charger as well as a 3.3kW? I'd opt to install for the faster charger in the event they come available at some point - then I can just change it out.

I may do the same - I have a simple install that it would kill me to have someone charge me more then two grand to do. I can run the wire and conduit myself in an hour or two if it means saving a ton of money.

Based on a conversation with a friend who is very connected I would venture to say that there will be low cost EVSE options as soon as October. The Leviton product should be on display in SJ this weekend and there is supposed to be a low cost public evening to see the vendors. Also do not believe the inaccurate info from AV about tax credits, delivery priority, regional allocation or otherwise. Much of the Leaf info on delivery and EVSE related matters is inaccurate and anyone willing to wait a bit should be able to save some money on an EVSE without impacting their place in line or loosing a tax credit.

mwalsh said:
EVDRIVER said:
and there is supposed to be a low cost public evening to see the vendors.

Public evening is Tuesday the 27th. Admission $10. The nice folks from Coulomb sent me some passes for free admission, if anybody wants one?

I do:) are they for any day or the public day?

Thanks

SeattleBlueLeaf said:
Leviton Announces Residential Charging Stations for Electric Vehicle Market
http://bit.ly/ajXAdR

It's nice to see that the level 2 EVSE can be set from 16 to 32 amps. I hope that includes a 24 amp setting for all those existing but unused dryer outlets on a 30A breaker. Might make a good "portable" charger for leeching off friends too. :lol:

EDIT: Level 2 EVSE may not be settable, looks like separate 16A and 32A versions. See my later post in same thread.

Sounding better and better:
1. plug-in (on L2?)
2. L1 and L2 devices
3. can set max-current on L2

Now, for
1. a price
2. plug-in details
3. available dates
4. complete specs.

I don't read it that way. Sounds like some kind of proprietary connection to which EVSE can be easily connected and disconnected without tools, may be like a binding post.

The inexpensive Level 2 installation kit provides increased value through reduced installation time, lower installation cost and flexibility for upgradeability. The Leviton kit can be installed into new or existing construction. After the system is installed by one of Leviton’s certified installers, the consumer can add a Level 2 charging station without any tools. It provides for simple do-it-yourself “plug and play” installation of the charging station at the customer’s convenience. The kit system also enables consumers to take their EVSE with them in case they move.

Back