Fragile Windshields?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ERG4ALL

Has anybody noticed that the windshields on the LEAF appear to be very fragile? We got a stone a 60 mph that just hit the edge of the windshield about a month ago. A crack 8" long ensued. About a week later we got another that apparently was smaller and that left a star shaped chip. Yesterday only going 35 mph in town a small stone (couldn't even see it) has left another star break in the windshield. I know that engineers are forever searching for ways to cut down on the weight of the LEAF and the glass has gone through that analysis. My experience has been that they've gone too far and the windshield never gets just a nick in it but always breaks with about a break the size of a quarter or an 8" crack. Because I'm somewhat of a fatalist, I don't replace windshields immediately unless the break is in my line of sight. And sure enough my waiting has paid off with two additional breaks. So our glass insurance doesn't cancel us we're planning on replacing the windshield as a annual ritual.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Yes; the windshields are much lighter, thinner, and more fragile than cars of the past. I have the same problem with my Prius. I've had to replace that windshield twice, from rather minor hits. I guess we'll just have to live with it.

Windscreens or windshields are constructed of a softer glass than the remaining glass panels for several reasons:

1. Safety--the windscreen will not shatter like the side panels. It will shatter but the limination prevents the glass from becoming personel hazards. The smaller the glass particles allow the panel to be manipulated and popped out easily with less likelyhood of personal injury.

2. Side windows are made of a much harder glass and the lamination process allows the glass to shatter in small pieces, not shards, and fall away if need be to allow for ingress and egress.

3. Side glass panels are considered strength panels and constructed with additional emphasis strength to increase the personal roll cage protection.

As an aside--if you should ever need to break out a window to gain entry to your vehicle--consider breaking out the windscreen and not the side panels. Windscreens are usually much less expensive than the side panels.

Wow, not in any of the cars I have ever owned. In every one the windshield was far more expensive, both in parts and labor.

BLUEH20 said:
As an aside--if you should ever need to break out a window to gain entry to your vehicle--consider breaking out the windscreen and not the side panels. Windscreens are usually much less expensive than the side panels.

BLUEH20 said:

The windshield on the 2001 Prius was about twice as much to replace as the drivers side window. (I had to replace both during my ownership).

Also, the windshield is pretty tough:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLuz0Vhe0aY

Look at how well it stays together after that massive strike from a sledge hammer.

This was in another thread as well, but the standards for windshield glass are heavily controlled since it is typically a major support for the roof in the case of a rollover. It's not thinner, cheaper, etc. It's just bad luck that you cracked yours so early...

BLUEH20 said:
As an aside--if you should ever need to break out a window to gain entry to your vehicle--consider breaking out the windscreen and not the side panels.
Windshields are an absolute BEAR to break through because they are double-layer glass laminated with plastic to keep it from shattering and falling apart.

If you can crack a side-window it will be much easier to get through once broken.

Well, nothing is perfect... but here is an ultimate windshield rock protection... For now only in Kia :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q9eaYwgdq0[/youtube]

This was in another thread as well, but the standards for windshield glass are heavily controlled since it is typically a major support for the roof in the case of a rollover. It's not thinner, cheaper, etc. It's just bad luck that you cracked yours so early...

An update. I can't say necessarily for the windshield specifically. When I get it changed, I'll take my micrometer along just to see what it measures. Anyway, I measured a side window on my Dodge RAM 2500 pickup truck and it mic'd out at .195". I did the same with a side window on the LEAF and it came out at .136. So the Dodge is 43% thicker. I have no stone bruises on my Dodge. If the windshields are heavily controlled maybe the control has nothing to do with chipping but just some compressive or tensile strength. With the acute angle that the windshield has on most cars I find it amazing that it contributes anything to roll over support. I thought all of the support comes from the "A", "B" and "C" pillars or in the case of convertibles the "A" pillars and the rear roll over bars.

ERG4ALL said:
With the acute angle that the windshield has on most cars I find it amazing that it contributes anything to roll over support. I thought all of the support comes from the "A", "B" and "C" pillars or in the case of convertibles the "A" pillars and the rear roll over bars.

Most of the links I've found seem to indicate that the windshield is a very important structure relating to roof strength:
http://www.dominionautoglass.org/WindshieldStrength.html

http://www.citizen.org/documents/Safety%20briefing%20on%20roof%20crush%20final.pdf
The second, or far side, impact in a rollover crash has a different, more severe pitch angle and
greater roll angle than the first impact, subjecting the roof to greater friction from sliding, or
lateral, contact with the roadway. The strength added by the windshield and its bonding is gone
when both break after the first impact, substantially weakening the roof.

http://www.safetyresearch.net/2004/08/01/nhtsa-roof-crush-study-greater-intrusion-greater-injury/

Back