From truck to leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DustanT said:
LeftieBiker said:
If you can get a 2018 SL, good - that's what I drive. Nice car - if you like the mandatory leather - with a pack that may not last as long as it should. However, if you are ok with 80-90 miles of range in a few years (and then a free new pack if you own it) and the price is right, I think you'd like one. If you can get a good lease deal, with a residual in the $16k vicinity, I'd lease it and then, if you like it, buy it off lease. If you qualify for the full $7500 tax credit, then buying would be the less expensive route.

Unfortunately they don't have leases for how much I drive a year. Last I checked I was just over 20k miles down from 30k a few years ago. 80 to 90 miles is over what I need it to be on a daily basis so that's good. I have no idea what the tax credit is for sure but I know from what I read you don't get money back or off the price of the car so not sure what all the hype is about. The cars I've seen are around 25 grand with 10k Miles or less, something about CPO.

If you lease, the tax credit is effectively off the price of the car! It's used to reduce the 'capital cost' of the lease. Secondly, although they don't have a 20k mile/year lease, they do have a 15k mile/year lease, of which every mile over that incurs a 15 cents fee. That's almost the same price of gas for your truck! Also, if you decide that you like the leaf enough to buy it, then just end the lease early and buy it out. There won't be any mileage-overage fees, since you're not returning the car.

You should definitely get a lease (on a new Leaf) if you don't think you'll qualify for the full tax credit.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
DustanT said:
LeftieBiker said:
If you can get a 2018 SL, good - that's what I drive. Nice car - if you like the mandatory leather - with a pack that may not last as long as it should. However, if you are ok with 80-90 miles of range in a few years (and then a free new pack if you own it) and the price is right, I think you'd like one. If you can get a good lease deal, with a residual in the $16k vicinity, I'd lease it and then, if you like it, buy it off lease. If you qualify for the full $7500 tax credit, then buying would be the less expensive route.

Unfortunately they don't have leases for how much I drive a year. Last I checked I was just over 20k miles down from 30k a few years ago. 80 to 90 miles is over what I need it to be on a daily basis so that's good. I have no idea what the tax credit is for sure but I know from what I read you don't get money back or off the price of the car so not sure what all the hype is about. The cars I've seen are around 25 grand with 10k Miles or less, something about CPO.

If you lease, the tax credit is effectively off the price of the car! It's used to reduce the 'capital cost' of the lease. Secondly, although they don't have a 20k mile/year lease, they do have a 15k mile/year lease, of which every mile over that incurs a 15 cents fee. That's almost the same price of gas for your truck! Also, if you decide that you like the leaf enough to buy it, then just end the lease early and buy it out. There won't be any mileage-overage fees, since you're not returning the car.

You should definitely get a lease (on a new Leaf) if you don't think you'll qualify for the full tax credit.

Hmm interesting. If I planned on buying it anyway I could just lease with a 10k mile plan since I wouldn't need to pay the overage. This sounds very appealing for me, and sounds way better than trying to find a leaf with good SOH and all that headache. Having battery warrenty would also be great.

DustanT said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
DustanT said:

Hmm interesting. If I planned on buying it anyway I could just lease with a 10k mile plan since I wouldn't need to pay the overage. This sounds very appealing for me, and sounds way better than trying to find a leaf with good SOH and all that headache. Having battery warrenty would also be great.

You could do that, but that means your residual will be higher, and thus your buyout price will be higher. All you've done in that case is moved your payments into the buyout part instead of the monthly lease payments.

IF for some reason (e.g. you lose both legs and can no longer drive) and you have to return the leaf, then any overages will be priced at 25 cents/mile (or higher, the exact amount should be spelled out in the lease contract) on the 10k lease. Not a likely situation, but just wanted you to know the gotchas of each option.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
DustanT said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

You could do that, but that means your residual will be higher, and thus your buyout price will be higher. All you've done in that case is moved your payments into the buyout part instead of the monthly lease payments.

IF for some reason (e.g. you lose both legs and can no longer drive) and you have to return the leaf, then any overages will be priced at 25 cents/mile (or higher, the exact amount should be spelled out in the lease contract) on the 10k lease. Not a likely situation, but just wanted you to know the gotchas of each option.

Ok thank you, I called the Nissan dealer and they are getting me a few numbers.

DustanT said:
I guess they can't get any? How can you be a dealer and not carry the cars you are a dealer for? They wanted to sell me a Prius instead lol

They can trade with other dealers to get one, unless there are no Leafs available min your state. Still, mine came from another state. It depends on how much clout the dealership has, as in how many of them are owned by whoever owns it.

LeftieBiker said:
DustanT said:
I guess they can't get any? How can you be a dealer and not carry the cars you are a dealer for? They wanted to sell me a Prius instead lol

They can trade with other dealers to get one, unless there are no Leafs available min your state. Still, mine came from another state. It depends on how much clout the dealership has, as in how many of them are owned by whoever owns it.

How may miles in the winter are you getting on your 2018?

I haven't paid as close attention as I should, because I rarely drive over 100 miles in Summer, and never in Winter. I know that I can do about 160 miles in warm weather on a 100% charge, and I think it's estimated (the latest GOM is much better) at about 139 in Winter. I'd say 120+ miles for sure.

LeftieBiker said:

I haven't paid as close attention as I should, because I rarely drive over 100 miles in Summer, and never in Winter. I know that I can do about 160 miles in warm weather on a 100% charge, and I think it's estimated (the latest GOM is much better) at about 139 in Winter. I'd say 120+ miles for sure.

Ok thanks, just got a lease quote of $518 on a 36 month sounds high to me. Seems to me Nissan is making it difficult to get a leaf! I Drove a 2016 BMW i3 Rex yesterday and was shocked.

LeftieBiker said:
That lease quote is too high, unless maybe if it's with zero down.

Yeah, they can't even sell the leaf because of some kind of missing certificate they said IDK they are not very intelligent lol. I asked for a 2019 leaf SV 40kw with $1000 down. I need to call a dealer in a bigger city, I'm about 300 miles from any metro city so.. ..

I called a dealer about 180 miles away and they have a 2018 SV with tech package for $423 with 1000 down and 12k a year.

MSRP $35955
Total savings $2412
Selling price$ 33543
Rebate $8600
Dealership savings $11,012
Residual value $13,302
Down
$0, $453
$1000, $423
$2000, $393

DustanT said:
I called a dealer about 180 miles away and they have a 2018 SV with tech package for $423 with 1000 down and 12k a year.

MSRP $35955
Total savings $2412
Selling price$ 33543
Rebate $8600
Residual value $13,302
Down
$0, $453
$1000, $423
$2000, $393

At first I thought your dealership just sucked. But then when I searched mine, they were all bone dry on deals as well. 2019 seems to have started on the wrong foot for Leaf deals.

So then would you consider taking over someone else's lease?
http://www.swapalease.com/lease/details/2018-Nissan-LEAF.aspx?salid=1340983

The total cost comes to ~$8300 for the 26 months, which is ~$1200 less than the offer you were given. If the seller's desperate, then maybe they'll give up on the $2000 down payment, reducing your cost?

Make sure that it also has the Cold Weather Package - that's vital where you live. Are those payments all for the same total amount? I always tell people to put down as much or as little as they are willing to risk losing if the car gets totaled. That residual is nice and low, anyway, if you think you will likely keep the car. If you don't think you'll keep it, ask them to raise the residual and lower the total cost for the lease.

One slip ahead of me.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
DustanT said:

MSRP $35955
Total savings $2412
Selling price$ 33543
Rebate $8600
Residual value $13,302
Down
$0, $453
$1000, $423
$2000, $393

At first I thought your dealership just sucked. But then when I searched mine, they were all bone dry on deals as well. 2019 seems to have started on the wrong foot for Leaf deals.

So then would you consider taking over someone else's lease?
http://www.swapalease.com/lease/details/2018-Nissan-LEAF.aspx?salid=1340983

The total cost comes to ~$8300 for the 26 months, which is ~$1200 less than the offer you were given. If the seller's desperate, then maybe they'll give up on the $2000 down payment, reducing your cost?

That's interesting.

LeftieBiker said:
Make sure that it also has the Cold Weather Package - that's vital where you live. Are those payments all for the same total amount? I always tell people to put down as much or as little as they are willing to risk losing if the car gets totaled. That residual is nice and low, anyway, if you think you will likely keep the car. If you don't think you'll keep it, ask them to raise the residual and lower the total cost for the lease.

One slip ahead of me.

Good catch that one does not have any weather package, the build a 19's say ALL WEATHER PACKAGE I'm guessing that's the one you are talking about.

Yup. Nissan did something a bit shady by making it optional everywhere - even in cold climates - and then many of the dealers jumped in to make things worse by not mentioning it, or lying about it. Not only are the cars less comfortable in Winter without it, but the range is a LOT lower in milder Winter temps with no heat pump.

LeftieBiker said:
Yup. Nissan did something a bit shady by making it optional everywhere - even in cold climates - and then many of the dealers jumped in to make things worse by not mentioning it, or lying about it. Not only are the cars less comfortable in Winter without it, but the range is a LOT lower in milder Winter temps with no heat pump.

Ok great thanks for making things clear. They have 2 2019's and will be calling in the am. They seem to know what is going on.

Ok big moment here. my 2 options I have it down to.

2018 SV with tech and all weather package.

MSRP $35,955
Total savings $2,412
Selling price$ 33,543
Rebate $8,600
Residual value $13,302

$2000 down $475

2019 SV plus with tech and all weather package.

MSRP $42,295
Total savings $3,024
Selling price$ 39,271
Rebate $7,550
Dealership savings $10,574
Residual value $16,495

$2000 down $598

They will also deliver it to my door for free!

Back