Highest number of miles driven, uninterrupted, on 1-charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nemrut

I've only had my Leaf for several weeks now but so far my top mileage on a single charge has been about 80m at 62mph of freeway driving and some residential. The distance is based on google maps which seems more accurate than Carwings.

nemrut said:
I've only had my Leaf for several weeks now but so far my top mileage on a single charge has been about 80m at 62mph of freeway driving and some residential. The distance is based on google maps which seems more accurate than Carwings.

80 miles is about right for relatively level driving. Why not use the trip odometer (two of them actually) on the LEAF ?

The longest single charge run that I'm aware of is a track test by Edmonds of 132 miles at 35 mph. Nissan claims 138 miles at 38 mph, but no real data to back that up other than "they said it".

Of course, I could start at the top of some nearby mountain and coast 40 miles and then drive 130 miles! The highest theoretical range on level ground is somewhere in the 8 or 9 miles per kilowatt-hour, at 10 to 15 mph, multiplied by the approximate 21 kWh available from a full charge, or about 170-ish miles or more. Nobody has sat in the car for the 12 to 17 hours that test might take ;)

My highest range is well under 100 miles.

nemrut said:

Based on the 21 actual kW h usable, I would have been able to go over 190 miles at 15mph when I hit 9.1m/kW h on a 15 mile loop. If I had been able to go another 15 miles, I believe my range would have gone over 200 miles because I noticed the m/kW h kept increasing the farther I went.

I have been getting between 6.0 and 6.7 miles/KWhr consistently on my local driving, hills and level stretches driving at 35 to 45 miles/hr. Using the 21 Kwhr capability mentioned, I should be able to go 126 to 140 miles on a full charge. I have noticed that driving style plays a large role in determining your mileage range, as does climate control.

eeman said:
I have noticed that driving style plays a large role in determining your mileage range, as does climate control.

1. Speed
2. Elevation changes (up and down hills)
3. Elevation (altitude... the air is thinner up high)
4. Wind
5. Temperature on the battery
6. Climate Control use
7. Battery Degradation over time and cycles
8. Loading: Heavy cars use more energy than light ones
9. Driving style (how fast to accelerate, coasting, minimum braking, etc)

eeman said:
I have been getting between 6.0 and 6.7 miles/KWhr consistently on my local driving, hills and level stretches driving at 35 to 45 miles/hr. Using the 21 Kwhr capability mentioned, I should be able to go 126 to 140 miles on a full charge. I have noticed that driving style plays a large role in determining your mileage range, as does climate control.
From the dash, the center console, or carwings?

nemrut said:

You might be able get another 10'ish miles out of the hidden reserve...

84 miles, last 20 or so gaining 1500' of elevation and diriving 55 MPH. Hit first low battery warning but had no other warnings.

Carwings is soooo optimistic:)

Here is a trip I did from 100% down to VLB warning (per carwings)

0.2kWh 0.3kWh 0.1kWh 1.6miles 9.6miles/kWh (10-20mph)
5.9kWh 7.8kWh 1.9kWh 33.4miles 5.6miles/kWh (60-65mph)
1.7kWh 2.5kWh 0.8kWh 13.3miles 7.9miles/kWh (25-35 mph)
7.7kWh 9.2kWh 1.5kWh 39.5miles 5.1miles/kWh (60-65mph)

total 87.6 miles. Total 15.5kwh - according to carwings.

Ither Carwings underestimates energy usage, OR usable battery capacity is nowhere near 21kWh.
Also, after that trip full charge took 23.9 kWh from Blink charger. Which would mean charge/discharge cycle is 87% efficient, if usable capacity is 21kwh. While I want to believe that number - i think it's optimistic.

Stunt822 said:
Ither Carwings underestimates energy usage, OR usable battery capacity is nowhere near 21kWh
It's been established that telematics reports inflated energy economy to Carwings and there is now a software update from Nissan to address this issue. I don't know the details, but I saw it mentioned in several threads. Did you record the trip energy economy by any chance? I usually reset the gauge on the dash and use that for range estimation. It was a suggestion from the forum, and it worked quite well for me.

The topic of this thread is supposed to be number of miles actually driven with no charging in the middle. Extrapolations based on shorter trips clearly should not count. And because of the many errors we have seen in CARWINGS I don't think its reports should count, though Stunt822's report of 87.6 miles may be legitimate, even though his m/kWh clearly is not. I suggest we report actual odometer numbers, preferably from resetting one of the two trip odometers at the start of the run. On those assumptions, the only hard number given here so far is 84 miles from Caracalover. I can report a bit better at 86.4, mostly freeway, but I went two miles into Very Low Battery and he didn't. More impressive is his 1500' elevation gain at the end. Presumably he either started at a lower elevation or dropped the 1500' at the beginning of the drive when he couldn't take advantage of regen.

Caracalover and I were both traveling 55, so nemrut's initial report of "about 80 miles at 62 mph" is not too shabby. I'm sure others could crawl out of the woodwork with significantly longer drives than any of us have reported here.

Ray

This trip was with a 3 hour stop in the middle but on one charge:

103 miles
5.1 m/kw
5.7 miles below Very Low Battery warning
Approximately 83 miles freeway circa 55mph, 20 miles city streets circa 35mph. 1300' elevation difference between start and midpoint destination.

nicely done!

91040 said:
This trip was with a 3 hour stop in the middle but on one charge:

103 miles
5.1 m/kw
5.7 miles below Very Low Battery warning
Approximately 83 miles freeway circa 55mph, 20 miles city streets circa 35mph. 1300' elevation difference between start and midpoint destination.

Got my range anxiety out of the way on the first day I picked up my LEAF - 90.1 miles, Petaluma to San Jose, via San Francisco, driving in the Eco mode, air conditioning turned off. Average speed on freeway ~ 60 MPH, in the city ~30 MPH. City driving was ~10 miles out of 90. When I got home, the gauge showed I could have driven another 13 miles.

vjlvjl said:
Got my range anxiety out of the way on the first day I picked up my LEAF - 90.1 miles

That's some serious driving for your first day. Glad it worked out. Here's what I did today:

94.1 miles on one charge, 4.8 miles/kWh, with 6700 feet of total elevation gain (Poway to Julian, California and back)!!! That was 3.7 miles into Very Low Battery, therefore at 4.8 m/kWh, I had about 2 to 3 miles left according to this chart.

Air conditioning was set to "Auto" and 70 degrees the entire way (I rarely turn it off). A mixture of D, ECO, and probably 20 miles of coasting due to the drastic elevation changes. Driven mostly between 40 and 45 mph.

21 usable battery kWh multiplied by 4.8 = 100 mile range ! Temperature was a bit above ideal for the battery, maybe a 1 or 2% hit to range, and I should have about 2% battery degradation for my total miles on the car. I love it when a plan comes together !

114 miles total driven for the day, as I drive about 20 miles before recharging to 100% for this 94.1 mile run.

f99f5ff1.jpg

TonyWilliams said:
94.1 miles on one charge, 4.8 miles/kWh, with 6700 feet of total elevation gain (to Julian, California and back)!!!
I have no idea how you could go this far with 6700 feet of elevation gain on one charge! Doesn't seem possible to me, and I get 5.9 miles/KWh!!!

Stoaty said:
TonyWilliams said:
94.1 miles on one charge, 4.8 miles/kWh, with 6700 feet of total elevation gain (to Julian, California and back)!!!
I have no idea how you could go this far with 6700 feet of elevation gain on one charge! Doesn't seem possible to me, and I get 5.9 miles/KWh!!!

Honestly, I didn't think so either !!! That is some very "on my toes" driving. Lots of switching between ECO, D, and coast on the downhill, since I traveled over 40 miles with 3 bars showing, and if anybody cars, about 18 miles range on the GOM.

Stoaty said:
TonyWilliams said:
He think he lives near the coast, so there would have been at least some downgrade pretty much all the way home, but that merely means it was almost all uphill for the outbound leg. I'm a little shocked at this feat myself.

2011-09-15_17-50-46_563.jpg

ok, my entry. i thought about going to 2nd warning, but oh well. i drove around for 10 minutes and got tired of it. but this is no freeway, in town errand stuff.

kinda disappointed. either there is a lot more left or i have already lost a good 10% of my capacity. Nissan says 138 miles for what i was doing today.

Back