July 27 Nissan email: the Nissan LEAF: get ready to order

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
leaffan said:
mwalsh said:
palmermd said:
How can you discount this idea so quickly?

Because, although I'd been watching Leaf news since August last (with a Google Alert), I didn't sign up on the Nissan website until March.

I signed up on their site in NOV '09 and put down the deposit on Apr. 20th, right after I received the email, so i'm puzzled as to why they said "Sept.". Actually, I'm a little ticked off! :)

leaffan, I think all Arizona people got September for ordering their LEAF.

Azrich said:
leaffan, I think all Arizona people got September for ordering their LEAF.
Not true - so far we have two in this thread - Gonewild and myself. I suspect we may never find out why some of us got August and others got September - I certainly can't think of anything "special" that I did that would have given me the jump on others.

Add TimAZ to that count, so I count 3 in AZ.

I'm thinking that rapid response to the email was a determining factor, as well as being in an early roll out market. What strikes me is that many of the August folks jumped on the email within a very few minutes, or even happened to have their Nissan account open at the time and even beat the email time. Anyone who had any trouble with the website, such as people trying to use AMEX cards got later dates. I'm not saying that everyone who jumped on the email very quickly got August dates, but nobody who didn't got an August date.

It looks like the August numbers are relatively few and the ordering may be in late August, and we don't know how early in September the September people will be able to order. Nissan will probably trickle the ordering process along at a moderate pace to avoid overloading their systems.

leaffan said:
I signed up on their site in NOV '09 and put down the deposit on Apr. 20th, right after I received the email,

So my only other question is....how soon after the emails started arriving did yours arrive.

As you can see from my posting the FB Chat, emails started to arrive at 2:28pm Pacific /5:28:pm Eastern. 2700 reservations within the first 180 minutes means 15 a minute. If there truly are only going to be 200 cars available to customers in the Western Region (California and Arizona), you would have had to make your reservation within the first 13.5 minutes to get a car ordered in August.

I'll say this about how far many of us were prepared to go to be in "first" - we had our credit cards out of our wallets; some had even pre-typed all the information they needed to place the order into a text document, so it could be cut-n-pasted into the appropriate spots on the order form; and, of course, we were checking our emails constantly.

You bet we did, not knowing how the purchase / delivery priority was going to be decided. Since my registered Nissan email address is my home address, I had an Outlook rule in place to forward all email with the word "Leaf" into my work email address. So I saw that email from Nissan at 2:27 immediately and went to town on my reservation...

There are a few others I know in San Diego who were on the Nissan list, and I heard later from several of them that they also got their email within a minute or two of when I got mine. Or at least that's when they saw it...Fun times...

It could be even more complicated...

I put my deposit on 4/20 as soon as I got the email...but it took me a bit to get it to go through...nothing horrid, but it took a couple of tries...

The more interesting point is...when did the actual card charge go through and you official spot take place?

My confirmation email from Nissan is dated : April 21, 2010 11:53:30 PM ...now is this just the time my server got the email or is this when Nissan sent the email...or does it matter....gah, too many variables.

Gavin, thank you for reserving your place in automotive history. we have received your fully refundable reservation payment of $99, which has been charged to your credit card. we will be in touch by June 30 with more details on your spot and how to begin preparing your home for your new car.* so buckle your seat belt, because you're now that much closer to The New Car becoming your new car.

credit card number
ending in

amount charged
$99

confirmation number
this number secures your spot to purchase a Nissan LEAF™*
strange mishmash of nonsensical numbers and letters...

reserved on
4/20/2010

Well I live in sub's of Phoenix so maybe we have more charging stations ready. I know for years we had over 20 at APS electric company offices. I had my wife all day refreshing my email account and I was at work spending a lot of time at my desk instead of out working :) Watching the chatter on Facebook.

With in minutes after around 3:35PM Arizona time I got the email and sent it back.

I registered within minutes of receiving my 4/20 email. I received a September order date.

Possibly it has to do with dealer selection? My dealer of choice is Riverview Nissan.

It could even have to do with Color Selection or model selection (I chose RED SL)

It could have to do with EV Project or non-EVP (I have been accepted into the EV Project).

It could have to do with City (I live in Scottsdale)

It could have to do with almost anything.

What it comes down to is this; I will be able to order a Nissan Leaf within 60 days
and hopefully receive it in December, but if not very early next year.

I am anxious to be an early adopter, a Nissan LEAF Owner and to post my results and experiences on this board!

I have read that the ability to make a LEAF purchase involves the following order: 1) "registration order" 2) "roll-out state order". My best guess at what this means is that 1) is really "registration group order" where the groups are something like "1st 10 registrants", "2nd 10 registrants", etc. Then if the "roll-out state order" is TN, OR, WA, CA, AZ and the first 20 registrants are as follows:

00 CA
01 CA
02 CA
03 CA
04 OR
05 AZ
06 CA
07 WA
08 CA
09 TN
10 CA
11 0R
12 AZ
13 CA
14 CA
15 OR
16 TN
17 CA
18 WA
19 CA

then the order that matters is

09 TN
04 0R
07 WA
00 CA
01 CA
02 CA
03 CA
06 CA
08 CA
05 AZ
16 TN
11 OR
15 OR
18 WA
10 CA
13 CA
14 CA
17 CA
19 CA
12 AZ

Does this seem reasonable?

SilverLeaf said:
Possibly it has to do with dealer selection?
Not according to the "chat" I just had with Nissan. The operator told me point blank that the order depends upon the customer's physical address. In other words, even though dealers in northern AZ (Lake Havasu, Windsor, Prescott) are in the first tier, just like Phoenix and Tucson, Nissan will not allow me to take delivery from one of them because... I live 20 minutes north of the AZ border. I have to wait until fall/winter 2011. Truly disappointing.

What is most curious about "my" fourth tier is that it is at least 9 months after the third. Makes me wonder if Nissan anticipates fulfilling those orders with TN built Leafs, while those in tiers 1, 2, and 3 will take delivery of Japanese Leafs.

It seems to me the quota for AZ is small, compared to CA or WA. Probably in proportion to the total reservations recieved ?

SilverLeaf said:
I registered within minutes of receiving my 4/20 email. I received a September order date.

Possibly it has to do with dealer selection? My dealer of choice is Riverview Nissan.

It could even have to do with Color Selection or model selection (I chose RED SL)

It could have to do with EV Project or non-EVP (I have been accepted into the EV Project).

It could have to do with City (I live in Scottsdale)

It could have to do with almost anything.

What it comes down to is this; I will be able to order a Nissan Leaf within 60 days
and hopefully receive it in December, but if not very early next year.

I am anxious to be an early adopter, a Nissan LEAF Owner and to post my results and experiences on this board!

I wanted Red or Black but went with White because it should be COOLER and better on the battery's.

I still think its first come first served. 4 people in the initial rollout area Who did everything they could to be first possibly realize that there's a in an area were several 100 people were signing up 44 e a few 100 cars so dave would be in the second wave of orders. I think i got in august eighth because I am in at less inhabited area The other areas of the launcher 3 to 5 * more populated

Yanquetino said:
Makes me wonder if Nissan anticipates fulfilling those orders with TN built Leafs, while those in tiers 1, 2, and 3 will take delivery of Japanese Leafs.

Nissan has stated that Smyrna production will not start until the second half of 2012. Always subject to change, but...

DaveinOlyWA said:
I still think its first come first served. 4 people in the initial rollout area Who did everything they could to be first possibly realize that there's a in an area were several 100 people were signing up 44 e a few 100 cars so dave would be in the second wave of orders. I think i got in august eighth because I am in at less inhabited area The other areas of the launcher 3 to 5 * more populated
What???

I just got off the phone with Nissan. I spoke with a couple of folks and they indicated that my September order date (which for the second time was referred to by them as a "late August, early September" date) was indeed a "first wave" order date and I should expect delivery of my car in December.

Take it for what it's worth.

johnr said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
What???

I still think it is 'first come, first served'.

For people in the initial rollout area who did everything they could to be first -- realize that they are in an area where several hundred people were signing up for a few hundred cars. So Dave would be in the second wave of orders.

I think I got in August 8 because I am in a less-inhabited area. The other areas of the launch are 3 to 5 times more populous.

Back