LEAF Link for iPhone/iPad/etc - available on the App Store

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another somewhat related thing....

I often want to turn the climate control on when I am in a store and about to check out. That way the car will be cool when I get there. So I hit the button to start and confirm the starting of climate control. I would really like to then hit the sleep button a re-holster the phone. If I do that though, the climate control doesn't start and I get the message "no server of that name." I assume that sleeping the phone drops the network connection and interferes with the sending of the right sequence of commands. It would be great if that would work, otherwise I have to hold the phone and wait for the command to get through. If it could continue in this case, this might be another case where an alert vibrate or chime would be good. Maybe even configure a success chime, and a different fail chime.

Otherwise, I've found the app to be working great on all my devices.

I played around a little bit today with continuing CARWINGS communication as a background task when the app is quit. Seems to work fairly well.

I can confirm that the phone will not beep or vibrate when the app is not active in the foreground, so any completion alert at that point would have to go through the notification center. I haven't implemented this yet, but it looks pretty straightforward as well.

My only very minor heartburn with the completion alert is that it adds yet another preference to the growing list of settings. It's getting a little cluttered there, but unlike Apple, I'd prefer to give users control over how the app behaves.

8 days since submitting to the app store, and still "Waiting For Review." :|

baronvonshush said:
8 days since submitting to the app store, and still "Waiting For Review." :|

Hang in there, it'll be worth it - the app is very cool and I'm sure others will like it.

Glad to see the alerts won't be too big of an issue for a future release

Just got my LEAF last SAT. Anxious to try LEAF Link. Should I wait for it to be approved and on iTunes OR go ahead and DL the beta? If the latter, any instructions on how to do so would be greatly appreciated.

Had some problems last night getting Carwings to respond to Leaf Link. Got a couple of texts: "Unable to update vehicle status at this time...", and didn't think anything of it.

I wake up this morning to find about seven status texts, separated by about an hour each. Most worked, some didn't. Thinking I could have triggered a timing loop, I terminated the app, then hard booted the phone. No effect. I'm still getting status texts each hour. All of them were successful updates, and of course all of them are taking a small hit to the vehicle's battery.

baronvonshush, please investigate my queue on your server, or otherwise let me know what I need to do. This is becoming annoying real fast.

Others were reporting that there was some problem with carwings last night and into today, I wonder if that is your problem. You might try to see if the lame Nissan app works, or if the carwings web is working for you.

adspguy said:
Others were reporting that there was some problem with carwings last night and into today, I wonder if that is your problem. You might try to see if the lame Nissan app works, or if the carwings web is working for you.

Thanks for the info. They both work fine, but I'm still getting updates practically every hour without using them.

z0ner said:
Had some problems last night getting Carwings to respond to Leaf Link. Got a couple of texts: "Unable to update vehicle status at this time...", and didn't think anything of it.

I wake up this morning to find about seven status texts, separated by about an hour each. Most worked, some didn't. Thinking I could have triggered a timing loop, I terminated the app, then hard booted the phone. No effect. I'm still getting status texts each hour. All of them were successful updates, and of course all of them are taking a small hit to the vehicle's battery.

baronvonshush, please investigate my queue on your server, or otherwise let me know what I need to do. This is becoming annoying real fast.
Interesting. To be clear, the LEAF Link server only communicates with CARWINGS if you use the charge timer feature. As far as I can tell, I'm the only person who has used it (aside from adspguy who tried once but ran into an unrelated problem that should have been fixed). Certainly, I am the only one who has a pending charge timer on the system. Additionally, there are no "runaway" processes running or files leftover from old charge timers. So I don't think that's it.

Outside of the charge timer, all communication with CARWINGS is strictly between your phone and Nissan's servers. If the app isn't running, it can't be communicating, period. If you want to be 100% sure, try deleting LEAF Link from your phone and see if another text message comes in.

I do have a couple of ideas as to why this may be happening:

1. Have you ever used the GreenCharge app? I know that at one time, they were setup to request periodic status updates using their server (again, LEAF Link does not work this way). There was a thread here about how their first version requested status every 5 minutes :shock: before an update changed that default to something a bit more reasonable. If you have used their app, perhaps their server is responsible for these updates. I would check the settings in their app in that case.

2. In the midst of whatever issues CARWINGS may have had last night, perhaps your account settings with Nissan got reset to send text messages for status updates. LEAF Link doesn't touch this setting, but the official Nissan app does allow you to change it. You might try going in there and seeing how it's set (go to settings, notifications / vehicle status). It's possible that these status updates have been happening for longer than the last day (for example, if #1 is true) but you just started getting notified last night / today. On the other hand, if you've always had the setting to get status update texts, then that blows my theory... :?

Aside from that, I'm stumped. There's no date or time anywhere in the status check command - so it's not possible, for example, to request a status check to occur at a future time. And there's certainly no way to tell Nissan to automatically repeat it at some interval.

As for battery usage, I would strongly suspect that it's negligible, especially when talking about the 21 kWh traction battery. A quick back of the envelope calculation... The car's communication shouldn't use too much more power than a typical cell phone (right, Nissan? right??). A phone might have a 4 Wh battery, which very conservatively gives it at least 2 hours of constant cellular data usage (probably much more). If a typical status check takes 3 minutes of cellular data time (usually less), that's at least 40 status checks in 4 Wh of energy. Scale that up to roughly 20 kWh in the LEAF, and you're looking at 200,000 status updates to drain the battery once. Or 0.012% of the battery used per day of hourly status checks. Even if it uses 10 times (or 100 times) that much energy per status check, I wouldn't worry about it. Still negligible compared to actual driving. ;)

Anyway I hope this helps. I'll keep thinking about what else could possibly cause this...

jpa2825 said:
Just got my LEAF last SAT. Anxious to try LEAF Link. Should I wait for it to be approved and on iTunes OR go ahead and DL the beta? If the latter, any instructions on how to do so would be greatly appreciated.
Hopefully it will show up in the app store before the next beta is ready. The app was submitted to Apple 9 days ago, and the average wait time right now is supposedly 10 days. It's still "Waiting For Review" which means that Apple hasn't started reviewing it yet, so I'm not holding my breath to make it in 10 days by tomorrow. But if not then, hopefully by early next week.

If you want to send me your device id, see the first post in this thread. I can add you to the beta list for the next update, which may be ready for testing in a week or so, regardless of app store approval on the release version. You won't be able to run any beta version until I update it to include your device id.

Congrats on your new LEAF! :mrgreen:

baronvonshush said:
The app was submitted to Apple 9 days ago, and the average wait time right now is supposedly 10 days. It's still "Waiting For Review" which means that Apple hasn't started reviewing it yet, so I'm not holding my breath to make it in 10 days by tomorrow. But if not then, hopefully by early next week.
Well, Apple came through for me. LEAF Link has been approved and is now available on the App Store!

http://itunes.apple.com/app/leaf-link/id542304940?mt=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note that beta testers who install the final release will lose any paid features you may have used - this includes any themes, recent item syncing, and charge timer (don't think anyone but me used that last one in the beta). They should now be available as in-app purchases, so if you want to show a little support, that's the easiest way to do so. ;)

Thanks again, everyone. The next round of features is coming along...

DL'd.

Haven't been following this thread too closely so I was pleasantly surprised to find the one-time charge timer function! This will be perfect for those occasions when I want to charge to 100% while giving me a reasonably good control of the end-time without having to go out to the car and muck about with its timer system. Well-worth the in-app purchase.

And I really like the amount of customization you put in to the preferences.

Thanks for the work!

Chris75sf said:
I downloaded the app this morning; I can not get connected using my CARWINGS 's account: is it because I am in France ?

Great work. Definitely looks like a must-have app!!! I can't login either, probably because I'm in Australia. The demo shows it off nicely but I hope it'll work outside the US soon.

baronvonshush, thank you very much for writing the app. It is a great app. I pm'ed you yesterday on the following issue: While I am home playing with LEAF-link, I find my home address is listed in the "find charging station map". I would rather not to include my address in the map. Would you tell me which tool/database you use to get this information? I checked my neighbors who has charging stations installed in their houses. Some of them are listed but some aren't. The three neighbors I was looking at are all on Plugshare (I am on Plugshare as well). However, only 2 of the 3 are listed in the LEAF-link map. Therefore, I have concluded that LEAF-link map does not get the charging station information from PlugShre. There must be a database where my stations are registered in which LEAF-link's map is used. I appreciate your early reply. Thank you very much.

Are there different APIs from Nissan for different regions globally?

remf said:
Chris75sf said:
I downloaded the app this morning; I can not get connected using my CARWINGS 's account: is it because I am in France ?
Great work. Definitely looks like a must-have app!!! I can't login either, probably because I'm in Australia. The demo shows it off nicely but I hope it'll work outside the US soon.
Sounds like I will have to handle international users differently - I wasn't sure about this because I don't think any of the beta testers were from outside the US. remf and Chris75sf, if you are willing to beta test and give feedback, I can include the ability to try alternate Nissan servers in the next beta to see if that solves it for you. I'll just need your device id, which you can get using the instructions in the first post of this thread.

waidy said:
While I am home playing with LEAF-link, I find my home address is listed in the "find charging station map". I would rather not to include my address in the map. Would you tell me which tool/database you use to get this information?
LEAF Link uses the Open Charge Map database - their website is http://www.openchargemap.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It sounds like someone must have gotten your address on PlugShare and added it to Open Charge Map (without your permission, obviously). I don't see a way to directly remove a station from their database, but hopefully if you contact them, they'll remove it quickly.

baronvonshush said:
waidy said:
While I am home playing with LEAF-link, I find my home address is listed in the "find charging station map". I would rather not to include my address in the map. Would you tell me which tool/database you use to get this information?
LEAF Link uses the Open Charge Map database - their website is http://www.openchargemap.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It sounds like someone must have gotten your address on PlugShare and added it to Open Charge Map (without your permission, obviously). I don't see a way to directly remove a station from their database, but hopefully if you contact them, they'll remove it quickly.
I have just dropped them an email. Thanks for the URL.

Back