Leviton EVSE Group Buy - Are you interested ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EVDRIVER said:
You can't use 120 for a couple extra months? Most of these guys know the Leaf is coming and are saying 4Q.

I don't know yet. It could be tight depending on how much battery I use and how slow the charge is from 120v. I've heard anywhere from 16-20 hours from empty, and if I deplete 60% of the pack daily I would need 12 hours to top-off at the slower rate. That means plugging in as soon as I got home for the car to be ready by the next morning.

earther said:
mwalsh said:
I never saw Leviton installing the units. I see them either drop shipping to us, and then we find our own electrician, or them being shipped to one of us and him re-shipping them.

ah, now it all makes sense :idea:
we could either have them all shipped en masse to the group member closest to Leviton's distribution point, or if the shipping savings is only marginal then we could have them sent to the most centrally located member.
Does anyone know if they devices are transportable enough that an average pair of adults could wrangle them into an average passenger auto? if so, then many members could save further shipping costs by just personally picking them up.

Of course, now the question remains about how the installation is actually to be performed: perhaps we could also start a followup thread for good quality local electricians that are willing to install these puppies (at fair prices). I don't care how "easy" it allegedly is, there's no way I'm not going to get this professionally done by a licensed contractor -- I'm so mechanically inept that I'm lucky I don't electrocute myself every time I flip on a light switch!

I would prefer to have/wait for (if I don't get approved for the EV Project) the 'easy' plug in kit that you can just use a dryer receptacle so the EVSE (240/32A) doesn't need to be installed. :)

kolmstead said:
I'll buy one of the 'big boys'.
So we're clear on this... the evse only needs three wires for 230VAC, right? Line 1, Line 2 and ground. The AV electrician was trying to tell me that I needed four wires. I couldn't imagine why an evse would use neutral.
-Karl

The Leviton Big Boy used a 6-50 plug, didn't it? 6-50 is only L1/L2 plus ground, no neutral. Who knows, the Nissan/AV EVSE might require neutral for some reason.

Hey folks -- first post here -- so if I understand correctly, the Leviton EVSE will plug into standard 20A or 30A wall sockets. I have two 30A sockets conveniently located currently unused. So I just buy a 30A Leviton and that's all -- right? The AV guy checked the wiring -- 10gauge, so it's OK and breakers are good. Am I missing something here? Seems like a no-brainer to get a plug-in charger vs the wired AV offering. I guess I wasted $99 on the home assessment... Do we know the Leviton MSRP or street price yet? I'd be in for a 30A unit if the discount is good.

Michael
Santa Cruz

miku said:
Hey folks -- first post here -- so if I understand correctly, the Leviton EVSE will plug into standard 20A or 30A wall sockets. I have two 30A sockets conveniently located currently unused. So I just buy a 30A Leviton and that's all -- right? The AV guy checked the wiring -- 10gauge, so it's OK and breakers are good. Am I missing something here? Seems like a no-brainer to get a plug-in charger vs the wired AV offering. I guess I wasted $99 on the home assessment... Do we know the Leviton MSRP or street price yet? I'd be in for a 30A unit if the discount is good.

Michael
Santa Cruz

Hello Miku, Welcome!

There are many of us who opted out of the AV home assessment. We're anticipating a Leviton product to launch in Q4. Nobody knows the price of the products.

Check out the photos of the Leviton charger and plugs in my Flickr (Page 2):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43375161@N00/

Please remember these EVSE units are NOT "chargers", but basically a "safety" extension cord, with "GFI", a power "switch", and a little logic.

As expensive "extension cords" with an EV-standard connector on the "car" end, they are "charge-stations", or "charge connections", but certainly not "chargers".

Yes, Level 3 is different, where the unit is the high-power part of the charger, with the L3 charging "control" done by the car.

-----------------
The Levitron L2 EVSEs:
1. These units appear HUGE, far bigger than necessary for a small power supply, a circuit board (or two), a 40-amp 2-pole relay, and GFI detection.

2. The 120v unit specs say it has user-selectable "max-current" settings.

3. It would seem to me that ONE L2 unit (with 3 different pig-tail plugin cords, or hard-wired, offered as options) would be sufficient to handle the 16, 24, and 32-amp EVSE functions.

3. Why the need for 3 different L2 units?

--------------------
The Schneider EVSE:

1. The (smaller) unit (middle of page 1, link above) looks about the right size. It would appear much easier to transport.

2. Are there two Schneider units (the 2nd picture)?

3. Is there any indication that these will be plug-in capable?

4. Are there any Schneider specs yet?

garygid said:
< cut >

3. Why the need for 3 different L2 units?

--------------------
The Schneider EVSE:

1. The (smaller) unit (middle of page 1, link above) looks about the right size. It would appear much easier to transport.

2. Are there two Schneider units (the 2nd picture)?

3. Is there any indication that these will be plug-in capable?

4. Are there any Schneider specs yet?

Hi Gary,
I am not sure why that is so with the different Leviton L2 units... I am guessing it is simply an approach for Leviton to provide options for other manufacturers who wish to develop products from their base. Compare pictures 100_0793 and 100_0786. The Coulomb CT500 is identical to the Leviton 30A charger except for wireless functionality (Note the twin antennas).

Schneider Electric:
See Picture 100_0809: The unit on the right hand side isn not a charger. It is simply a demo mule station rigged to provide a sequence of events to trigger the EVSE functions.

The actual L2 looks "portable" and I am only 60% sure since I have forgotten already, they mentioned it was 24A but have plans for a 30A unit. They could not say if the 30A was housed inside the same casing as the 24A version. I suspect not.

I'm interested in the Levitron 40/50A model (L6-50 outlet), 40A max output, or a comparable unit from another vendor. My quote from Aerovironment for a custom installation was over $4K.

I'm interested in the Levitron 40/50A model (L6-50 outlet), 40A max output, or a comparable unit from another vendor.

What is the advantage of going with this larger capacity model? Future proofing or some other reason? Just want to know for my own decision when I contact Leviton.

I live in Nashville Tennessee and ordered on 4/20 a SL White. Received the confirmation and am interested in a group buy as I also think that the price is outrageous.I know of at least one other early buyer in Nashville and expect there are more as the Nissan factory and battery plant are here. I would like to be informed about the group buy. Thank You

Kataphn said:
I'm interested in the Levitron 40/50A model (L6-50 outlet), 40A max output, or a comparable unit from another vendor.

What is the advantage of going with this larger capacity model? Future proofing or some other reason? Just want to know for my own decision when I contact Leviton.

It is mostly future proofing. It also reflects my nerdish desire to have the best of what's out there, short of a Tesla Roadster with a Level 3 charger.

I think the top end Levitron L2 EVSE is a max of 32 amps out, not 40.

The supply circuit breaker might be 40 amps or 50 amps, with a suitable plug and socket (or hard-wired).

Has anybody seen an EVSE spec for a 50-amp breaker in and 40-amp "continuous" maximum output?

jimtubbs said:
I live in Nashville Tennessee and ordered on 4/20 a SL White. Received the confirmation and am interested in a group buy as I also think that the price is outrageous.I know of at least one other early buyer in Nashville and expect there are more as the Nissan factory and battery plant are here. I would like to be informed about the group buy. Thank You

Hi Jim! Welcome to the forum. Did you get an AUG order date? There are no TN Aug. orderers yet in the poll.

jimtubbs said:

I won't be surprised if most of the TN orders are from the Nissan factory :)

miku said:
if I understand correctly, the Leviton EVSE will plug into standard 20A or 30A wall sockets. I have two 30A sockets conveniently located currently unused. So I just buy a 30A Leviton and that's all -- right? The AV guy checked the wiring -- 10gauge, so it's OK and breakers are good. Am I missing something here?
It depends completely on the socket that's currently installed. So if it the same, you could be a simple plug & play install. Though I suspect for it to be up to code you need the socket with the latching cover as shown in the Leviton pics.

If you aren't sure - an electrician will be able to tell you.

garygid said:
I think the top end Levitron L2 EVSE is a max of 32 amps out, not 40.

The supply circuit breaker might be 40 amps or 50 amps, with a suitable plug and socket (or hard-wired).

Has anybody seen an EVSE spec for a 50-amp breaker in and 40-amp "continuous" maximum output?
According to one of the spec sheet I have seen, the receptacle for the Leviton EVK05 is 6-50R. It costs about $10 at Lowes. A welder uses this same receptacle.

But until the product is actually out, it could still change.

evnow said:
jimtubbs said:

I won't be surprised if most of the TN orders are from the Nissan factory :)

Why? TN is one of the first five rollout states and the TN factory will produce them in 2012.

mxp, Gary -- thanks for the photos and info.

Yes -- I understand the difference between charger and "intelligent outlet" (I guess that's the best description of an EVSE), but even with that, I mis-used the term "charger" in my post -- I suspect we'll see it become a common term incorrectly applied. Your explanation was crystal clear -- probably good to hear it again in the thread :)

I can understand early units being expensive, but as soon as you get market volume or competition, prices should drop quickly -- with so many suppliers showing prototypes, I really can't believe $700 will be a sustainable price for the EVSE.

My quote was $2400 and my order month is September. I'm planning to do some renovations right where I want the charging station to go, so I can easily get the outlet changed out to meet code. I'd be surprised if locking is required -- dryers have a continuous draw for extended periods, so the charging load shouldn't be any different. Unless they believe that the plug of the EVSE could be energized when the car is attached, creating a hazard at the outlet location if anyone unplugs the EVSE. I know that would be nonsense, but does my local planning dept see it the same way??

M

Back