New Member, trying to get off the fence

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I said earlier, I test drove a Bolt, yesterday. What I didn't say, and can now say with clarity, is that I had thought to myself as I left the Chevy dealer, "Is this a car I am happy to drive? Is this a car I will want to experience every day?" I wrestled with myself, as, the only frame of reference I had was the heavy, stable Rav4, which I currently drive. I was worried that if the Leaf felt as clunky as the Bolt I might have to delay my move to an electric car for more years.

I drove a brand new 2020 Leaf Plus (with leather seats) this morning and the answer was crystal clear. I would not be happy to own a Bolt. That decision was made. The ride of the 2020 Leaf was very comfortable, in stark contrast.

Then I got to check out (and drive, again, this time on the highway), a pretty reasonably priced, but still considerably over my budget, 2019 with 15k miles on it. Of course it was also a pleasure to drive.

So I'm now left with my internal struggle; 2017 first generation within my budget, or allocate more money and get a 2nd generation - which, unfortunately, is still weak in terms of range. But I really can't resolve this before I drive a 2017.

I'm closer, but still can't yet get off the fence.

Thank you to everyone who has shared/helped, here, so far. Driver8's testimonial, just now has been a great booster! ...but especially useful in reminding me that the cost doesn't end at the price!!! I've got to leave room/funds for the taxes. (and a more expensive car WILL also cost more to insure, every year)

I must ask the list folk again, if you can Please direct me to details of how LeafSpy gets set up to work on iOS.

CarlFlat said:
So I'm now left with my internal struggle; 2017 first generation within my budget, or allocate more money and get a 2nd generation - which, unfortunately, is still weak in terms of range. But I really can't resolve this before I drive a 2017.

I'm closer, but still can't yet get off the fence.

FWIW, depreciation on a new LEAF is heavy over the first 5 years. So, as long as you plan to keep that 2019 LEAF long term, that's not a big deal.

However, if you plan to change cars within the next 5 years, or you just like a bargain, then that 12 bar 2016 SV looks like a better choice. You should be able to get it for $12K before taxes.

You mentioned you have a RAV 4, for sake of argument I'll assume it's a 2005, which gets 22 mpg combined (when new, likely worse now). If you drive 15,000 miles per year, and pay $2.50 per gallon, then that's roughly (15,000 miles / 22 mpg) x $2.50 per gallon = $1700 in annual gas costs. I could add in oil changes and other unavoidable maintenance of your average ICE car, but that's really not even necessary...

I think you pay about $0.12/kWh for electricity where you live. So, a 2016 SV that averages 4 miles/kWh will consume roughly 3,750 kWh to travel those same 15,000 miles. Your electricity cost on that is roughly $450 annually.

In other words, you should save about $100 every month in fuel savings alone vs your RAV 4.

Further, if you take a $10,000 loan over 5 years, that's about $180 per monthly payment. So, for the term of the loan, your LEAF will cost you a net of $80 monthly. Once the loan is paid off, it will cost you only $40 monthly for electricity (less if you sometimes get free public charging).

If you decide to sell the LEAF after 5 years (not sure why anyone would, since it's practically free transport at that point), then it will likely still be worth $4K.

Pretty hard to beat the TOC on a 3 year old LEAF...

As for the comparison between the Leaf and a RAV 4, we have a Honda CRV and we both prefer driving the Leaf- unless you need 4WD don't worry about the driving, it is stable and sturdy-feeling.

Do you have the time/ability to charge during the 80 mile trip?Plug share/Ev go/Chargepoint and others will show most chargers on Long Island.My guess is the 2017 will drive the same as the 2019,though with less range.You can charge at home?2017 will be @6k less 11k vs 17k than a 2018.Once you decide check the usual sites.cars/autotrader/carguru/truecar/craigslist.Its a great car,if it fits your needed range.

I am currently planning to find and drive a 2016 and/or 2017 as soon as possible, but they don't appear to be quite as low in cost. I would jump on a 2017 that checked out for $11k, at this point. I have LELink ordered, and as soon as it comes I'll be anxious to try it out with LeafSpy on a vehicle. If, as you suggest, I find it rides as comfortably as the 2019, I'll be a Leaf owner soon.

In terms of charging in mid-trip, how can I know if a car I'm looking at definitely can take a Quick /DC charge?

All 2016-2017 SV and SL trim cars can CHAdeMo quick-charge.

2016-2017 S-trim cars need the quick-charge package. There are several ways to tell: opening flip cover over large CHAdeMo connector under charging hood vs fixed, unopenable cover; extra orange cable going to front of car underhood; time estimate for 6 kW charge in 'time to charge' screen in instrument cluster (cars without QC only have 120 V and 3 kW estimates).

If you come across a 2016 S-trim, check the 4th digit in the VIN. A = 24 kWh battery, B = 30 kWh. All 2017 LEAFs and all 2016 SV and SL are 30 kWh.

I personally enjoy level-2 charging, as long as I'm not in a hurry. I like the opportunity to explore around/stretch/snack. A 6 kW level 2 charger can add as much as 27%/hour to a 30 kWh LEAF. Depending on how much you need, it can still be a pretty quick charge stop (and is often free!).

Tire/wheel size and tire pressure make quite a bit of difference in ride characteristics. Larger diameter wheels and more tire pressure = stiffer ride. You might bring a tire gauge to test drives and make a note of wheel size to make sure you're actually comparing suspension.

I've also heard good things about the Hyundai IONIQ EV, and the MINI-E sounds fun. If considering buying new, mention and/or check with your utility company--the utility companies around here offer $7,500 rebates off various new EVs at various times.

Mentioned it before, if I was in your shoes I would definitely check this one out:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=556997536

LeafSpy is a must though, I wouldn't buy a used LEAF without it

I have never found a 2016 or 2017 to look at in my area, but having test drove a 2019 and 2020, I made the decision to pay up for a Gen 2 and started looking at low mileage Gen 2s. It turned out that there are a number of 2019 brand new LEAFs on dealers lots that are highly discounted. When I factored in the total $9,500 total tax credit and NY State Rebate combined, I was able to get a brand new 2019 for, net, less than half the MSRP and only a little more than a used Gen 2.

I love it. I'm very satisfied, so far, after my first few days....

I did buy the LELink OBDII dongle when I was looking for Gen 1 LEAFs, but never got LeafSpy Pro (I'm a Mac user and I don't believe that LeafSpy - free version- will work with my iPhone, Correct?). Is LeafSpy the only interface available?

In any case, is it useful on the Gen 2 LEAF? Can someone point me toward discussion/guidance/ instructions?

I have not been having a great success searching this board. I could use some help with that too....

TIA

PrairieLEAF said:
I use Google to search this forum (and other forums). Just start your Google query with the forum name.
Even better, use this as part of a Google (or DuckDuckGo) search:
Code:
site:mynissanleaf.com

CarlFlat said:
I did buy the LELink OBDII dongle when I was looking for Gen 1 LEAFs, but never got LeafSpy Pro (I'm a Mac user and I don't believe that LeafSpy - free version- will work with my iPhone, Correct?). Is LeafSpy the only interface available?
Send the LeafSpy author a couple of dollars, he is saving you thousands.

In the meantime, I'm happy to help you. My fee is $5 a minute, payable in advance. All of your paid fees will be forwarded to the LeafSpy author.

Pick up a $25 android phone to use with LeafSpy, and spend the $20 or so on the pro version. There is no need to register the phone for service. It wasn't supposed to work with Gen II Leafs, but it does.

Back