New York here...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In case you haven't heard, Gov. Cuomo announced $4.4 million in funding for 325 new charging stations in New York state. It seems the majority of them are going to wind up in the Capital Region. (No hate for the 518 from me...I went to school at SUNY Albany)

http://transportationnation.org/2012/06/06/new-york-state-to-add-hundreds-of-ev-charging-stations/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My only beef with the plan is as follows...
  • Beam Charging and Car Charging Inc both charge money (between $3 and $4 an hour) to use their stations, and the vast majority of their stations are located in parking garages that already charge a lot to park in. The State-funded stations should really be free, at least in the short term.
  • No DC QC installs. I was really, really hoping to see at least a couple of the Thruway rest areas get some Quick Chargers. At least just the run between Albany and NYC, to start. Take the money away from Beam and Car Charging Inc and put it towards QC!

Right, NYLEAF, looks to me like the only true public access units are at the price chopper supermarkets. The rest are in private parking areas where you have to pay or have a permit to access the parking area, then pay again for the EVSE.

You can forget about DC QC. SAE drove the stake into the heart of that option for current Leaf owners in all but the first group of rollout states where the money was committed before SAE developed the frankenplug. There will be no new committments to QC outside those states until there are cars on the road with the SAE frankenrecepticle, which will be long after our Leafs are in the junk yard.

charlie1300 said:
You can forget about DC QC. SAE drove the stake into the heart of that option for current Leaf owners in all but the first group of rollout states where the money was committed before SAE developed the frankenplug. There will be no new committments to QC outside those states until there are cars on the road with the SAE frankenrecepticle, which will be long after our Leafs are in the junk yard.

I really hope that doesn't prove to be true. I hope Nissan can get their act together and put some of their new cheap QCs in at their dealerships. If the dealers in Newburgh and Kingston had QCs, I could make it from Long Island to Albany in a reasonable 4 to 5 hours.

Well I would think that would be great too, but I don't see either Nissan or the dealerships seeing this as a good investment. My dealer had sold two leafs in six months. They are going to take years before they recover the cost of the L2EVSE and the special service bay. At least multiple makes of EVs and plug in hybrids can use the L2 EVSES that are part of the state program. I can't see the state funding QC that can only be used by the Leaf.

It's a chicken and egg thing. Your Nissan dealer might have sold more than 2 Leafs if customers knew they had access to quick charging stations that would let them comfortably drive up to Saratoga (and back) for a race, or Turning Stone for some gambling, or NYC for a day. I think Nissan corporate is going to need to mandate the installation and pay for it, at least to begin with. Corporate covers 70% of the cost of the unit, 100% of the installation and 50% of the electricity costs during the first year. Dealers can charge up to $10 per 30 minute Quick Charge session, with the hope that most would offer it as a free perk to Leaf drivers.

I had my first ever LEAF sighting today, and I saw 2 within 10 minutes of each other. I'm up in the Finger Lakes for the 4th and I saw both in Ithaca. First was a black one making a left from route 13 S. The second one was a red one in the parking lot of the GreenStar market. I shopped there and saw the owners loading up the car but it was raining so I didn't say hi. Sadly I don't have my Leaf up here since its 270 miles each way. Did I see anyone from this board?

Does NY provide incentives for commercial L2 installations?.. with incentives high enough you would see lots of L2 everywhere as businesses took advantage of the tax benefits... you would get more bang for your buck than directly funding charging stations.

As far as I know, no. NY does not provide any incentives for installing charging stations, nor are there really any incentives for getting an EV in the first place. The only incentives available are the "CleanPass" tag for the HOV lanes, but it only works on the Long Island Expressway, which doesn't even have HOV lanes for its entire length. The tag is not accepted on any other HOV lane in the state. (The rules for getting one are the same as in California, except that hybrids like the Prius are still accepted). Here on Long Island, we also get a one time $500 rebate from our power company, LIPA, but only if you buy the car, not lease, so I didn't qualify. The final perk is that you can also get a special green colored EZ Pass tag for the tolls. It gives you 10% off on the NYS Thruway rates (which is kind of pointless, since there are no charging stations along the Thruway meaning you can't get very far) and it gives you $4 tolls on the Port Authority operated Bridges & Tunnels during off-peak hours. Considering some tolls are $12 each way, that's the only good deal I've found so far.

Since Governor Cuomo doled out the 4+ million for EVSE infrastructure has anyone seen any new EVSEs in the state?
I believe that was last April 2012.
As i live in Suffolk County on LI chargers are few and far between. Just wondering if that was another 4 + million pi**ed away by the state.

TinMachine said:
Since Governor Cuomo doled out the 4+ million for EVSE infrastructure has anyone seen any new EVSEs in the state?
I believe that was last April 2012.
As i live in Suffolk County on LI chargers are few and far between. Just wondering if that was another 4 + million pi**ed away by the state.

Nope!

And that was only Phase I of the project. They stopped accepting applications for Phase II back in August. When will they wind up announcing who is getting that money (another $4 million)?

Just caught this by chance. Since I didn't watch Cuomo's State of the State address.

Sounds like good news if it translates into reality.

Watch out California, New York is getting its green game on.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Wednesday proposed a raft of environmental initiatives in his State of the State speech, including a $1.5 billion solar program, a $1 billion Green Bank and the installation of 3,000 electric vehicle-charging stations.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/toddwoody/2013/01/10/new-yorks-clean-tech-challenge-to-california/?ss=business%3Aenergy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi New York neighbors,
I drove the gray Mr. Erickson home for the first time today.
Thank you all so much for the information posted on the forums! You made the pre-lease process much less scary.

Things I found most helpful:
-range, range, range information. I am confident I won't have a problem with my 40 mile round-trip commute.
-lease information. It's a good fit to try out the technology, and new to me.
-tax and incentive information, including locations that don't apply to me
-new car checklist
-information about carwings, what it does and how to get into it
-your excitement! I'm very much looking forward to the features of the car and the community.

Keep up the good work!
Chris

MrErickson said:
Hi New York neighbors,
I drove the gray Mr. Erickson home for the first time today.
Thank you all so much for the information posted on the forums! You made the pre-lease process much less scary.

Things I found most helpful:
-range, range, range information. I am confident I won't have a problem with my 40 mile round-trip commute.
-lease information. It's a good fit to try out the technology, and new to me.
-tax and incentive information, including locations that don't apply to me
-new car checklist
-information about carwings, what it does and how to get into it
-your excitement! I'm very much looking forward to the features of the car and the community.

Keep up the good work!
Chris

Hi Chris. Are you in NY if so what part? You can post your location or add it to your profile.

Bill

Herm said:
TinMachine said:
Watch out California, New York is getting its green game on.

I thought NY was having some finance problems.. did they fix this?

NY is always having financial problems. However at least there is a budget now. Now if they can only stay within the budget is the question. Plus NYS is adding new fees and red light cameras everywhere so I am assuming they will have a windfall tax wise this year.

Things are really starting to happen here in the Rochester area: I saw a red LEAF on I-390 yesterday afternoon, then today another red LEAF (with Hoselton plate frame) at the Penfield community center charging station. In the current issue of CITY newspaper there is a great article about how the local EV charging station infrastructure will be expanding this year with a significant number of new stations. We're also getting quite a Rochester presence here on MNL (Publius and MrErickson). This summer we ought to have a get-together.

ranss12 said:
Things are really starting to happen here in the Rochester area: I saw a red LEAF on I-390 yesterday afternoon, then today another red LEAF (with Hoselton plate frame) at the Penfield community center charging station. In the current issue of CITY newspaper there is a great article about how the local EV charging station infrastructure will be expanding this year with a significant number of new stations. We're also getting quite a Rochester presence here on MNL (Publius and MrErickson). This summer we ought to have a get-together.

Thanks for mentioning the CITY Newspaper article. I'm a little more optimistic for the future after reading it and Cuomo's State of the State Speech. I've only seen one LEAF in the wild in Rochester: a blue LEAF a couple months ago on E. Ridge Road in Irondequoit. I'm glad to hear confirmation that I'm not the only one in Rochester with a red LEAF, though. I originally contacted Hoselton because they had a red one on the lot, but by the time I got there it was gone; they shipped mine in from Buffalo.

bradford said:
only a few flags on the google map in new york. hope to get my leaf by summer 2011. really don't expect any 'public' charging stations around here at all for quite awhile, which is ok; except at the local nissan dealer. fingers crossed to get it by march..... :)

Hey neighbor. Wappingers Falls here as well.
Seriously considering becoming a Leaf owner. How do you like yours? How have the local Nissan dealerships been to work with? Any regrets?

Thanks for your comments.

Fred

FredinNY said:
bradford said:
only a few flags on the google map in new york. hope to get my leaf by summer 2011. really don't expect any 'public' charging stations around here at all for quite awhile, which is ok; except at the local nissan dealer. fingers crossed to get it by march..... :)

Hey neighbor. Wappingers Falls here as well.
Seriously considering becoming a Leaf owner. How do you like yours? How have the local Nissan dealerships been to work with? Any regrets?

Thanks for your comments.

Fred

Sadly, I don't think Bradford will be replying. His last post on this site (back in 2010) indicates that he bought a Prius instead of waiting for the Leaf.

I don't live in the Hudson Valley, but I still love my Leaf. :)

Back