Not Driving or Charging Leaf For Summer

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el4

I plan to leave my Leaf in a locked garage in a hot climate for 4-5 months. The advice I got is to disconnect the negative terminal on the 12v battery and charge the li-ion battery @ approx. 50%. Any dissenting opinions or better suggestions? Nissan people I have contacted don't seem to have any definitive answers.

sounds good, that should minimize deterioration, but also put the 12V battery on a good quality maintenance charger.. spend more than $12.95 on that charger.

Herm said:
sounds good, that should minimize deterioration, but also put the 12V battery on a good quality maintenance charger.. spend more than $12.95 on that charger.
Thanks: sounds like good advice, but why would I do that, if the neg is disconnected?

Reddy said:
Thanks, Reddy for your non-sequitor: my relatives are unreliable tho.

el4 said:
I plan to leave my Leaf in a locked garage in a hot climate for 4-5 months. The advice I got is to disconnect the negative terminal on the 12v battery and charge the li-ion battery @ approx. 50%.
I trust you mean charge the li-ion battery to about 50% before you leave, and then unplug the car. Whatever you do, don't leave it plugged in.

Ray

el4 said:
Herm said:
Thanks: sounds like good advice, but why would I do that, if the neg is disconnected?

because you will shorten the life of the 12V battery otherwise, even with the negative disconected

Herm said:
because you will shorten the life of the 12V battery otherwise, even with the negative disconected
+1

Also note that the LEAF does not do a great job of keeping the 12V battery fully charged. It is possible that the battery is not only not fully charged, but at a very low SOC. Some LEAFs seem worse than others in this regard. As a result, when you disconnect it, it may not have a full charge and the lead sulfate will certainly harden meaning you will lose that part of the battery's capacity.

LEAFing it in a hot garage is better than an even hotter
place in the AZ summer sun, but the cooler the better.

Consider insulation, and nighttime ventilation, when
the outdoor temperature is less than the garage.

Locked is good, but all locked places can be entered,
and it might not be obvious that your car had gone
missing...

I have been storing my Leaf for up to 5.5 months during the winter. I have learned the best way to maintain is to use the 120 volt cord and set the charger to charge for 10 mins. once a week. I start with the level at about 5 bars. This winter it has maintained that same level for four months. The vehicle sends me an e-mail once a week after charging with an update. Note, using the 220 volt system for 10 mins. per week results in a gradual rise to an unacceptable battery level over this storage time period.

youngr3 said:
I have been storing my Leaf for up to 5.5 months during the winter. I have learned the best way to maintain is to use the 120 volt cord and set the charger to charge for 10 mins. once a week. I start with the level at about 5 bars. This winter it has maintained that same level for four months. The vehicle sends me an e-mail once a week after charging with an update. Note, using the 220 volt system for 10 mins. per week results in a gradual rise to an unacceptable battery level over this storage time period.
But in summertime I would be concerned about the risk of lightning damaging both the car and the EVSE.

Back