Official EV Project / Ecotality / free charger thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carlos said:
jstack6 said:
A few members of our Phoenix EAA got their BLINK cards this week. Now they have to activate them and then they can use them at the few locations in Phoenix we know of. Monti's at Tempe Town lake near ASU and ADEQ 1110 W Wahington St Phoenix AZ visitor parking garage .
Jim http://www.phoenixeaa.com
Hey Jim,
Do you know how long it took for the Blink Cards to be delivered from the time they were ordered. I ordered mine after the install at Monti's and they told me 3-6 months?
This seems a bit long considering that the EV community is small the demand can't be overwhelming. Either way Monti's management has a courtesy card and will be happy to set up the charge while you dine.
Carlos

A lot of us have received our cards in the past few weeks...you should be getting it soon. It only took a few weeks from signing up on the Blink website.

brownga said:
I applied to be in the EV project and never got a response so I called them and was told that they're only covering certain LA zipcodes which I'm not in. Has anyone else in one of the rollout cities been rejected because you're not in an acceptable zipcode? It would save us and them time if they'd just publish exactly which zipcodes they're covering.

I live in the Sacramento, CA area. I too am not in the "Acceptable" zipcode! I have been told by those who are installing the Blink units, that they are installing them all around me.... bummer :roll: I agree with your post, why can't the EV project post the zipcodes they are covering.

I'll preface this with the following; yes I used the search feature (it's how I found this thread and I'm not creating another one), and even though I didn't find what I was looking for, I did skim through about 20 pages of this thread.

So my situation is the following; I got a call today to schedule the install of my Blink from Ecotality. I had a few questions for the representative that called me and she answered those. I did, however, forget to ask if I needed to be home the whole time during the installation.

I scheduled for them to come in the morning, which she told me would be around 8-830, so I'm going to be using some time-off of work to take care of that. From what I've read it could take 1-2 hours or some more complicated installs took 5-6 hours. I will be installing the Blink in my garage which contains my breaker panel box (and I have available slots). So I don't see it being a very difficult install.

So my questions to those that have already gotten their Blink installed:
-How long did your install take (along with how complicated it was)?
-Did they need you to be home the entire time during the install? (I suppose this could depend on the contractor)

Thanks in advance for your responses! :D

TNleaf said:
I'll preface this with the following; yes I used the search feature (it's how I found this thread and I'm not creating another one), and even though I didn't find what I was looking for, I did skim through about 20 pages of this thread.

So my situation is the following; I got a call today to schedule the install of my Blink from Ecotality. I had a few questions for the representative that called me and she answered those. I did, however, forget to ask if I needed to be home the whole time during the installation.

I scheduled for them to come in the morning, which she told me would be around 8-830, so I'm going to be using some time-off of work to take care of that. From what I've read it could take 1-2 hours or some more complicated installs took 5-6 hours. I will be installing the Blink in my garage which contains my breaker panel box (and I have available slots). So I don't see it being a very difficult install.

So my questions to those that have already gotten their Blink installed:
-Did they need you to be home the entire time during the install? (I suppose this could depend on the contractor)

Thanks in advance for your responses! :D

My install took about an hour and a half. The installer will want you to sign a post-installation checklist and needs to make sure that your unit is logged into your wireless network. Unless you want to give the installer your router's password, you'll need to be there after the power is turned back on to do the network setup. If you're willing to let the installer stay in the garage after you leave, you don't need to be there when the building inspector shows up to sign off on the work. Obviously, the inspector is going to need to have access to your garage to conduct the inspection. In my case, the inspector arrived a few minutes after the installer finished. He was more interested in asking me questions about the car than in checking the simple electrical work and signed off on the building permit in about five minutes. YMMV.

My install took about 5-6 hours, partly because they had problems getting the machine to connect to the wireless network. They tried and tried and tried. The inspector came the next day, and he wanted the installation manual, which the installers had not left for us. So we had to reschedule the inspection for a few days later.

TNleaf said:
My install took about 4 hours. Pretty basic setup, but a lot of the time was spent to make it look the best that it could. Zero flex conduit, only precision bent conduit (the installer was only interested in perfection)! :D Total cable run was about 25 feet, from the carport to the attic and then back down to the main panel in the house.

You have to sign off before they start and sign off again when they are done, so you should probably be there for the install.

Mine only took 30 minutes tops....that's because I already had an AV unit installed. They just removed it and put up the Blink. My wife was home so I missed the actual install, but it looks like they also hardwired mine, I see no "plug" in the wall. I was hoping for a plug just in case the Blink blinks out, I can plug in my upgraded stock EVSE.

Mine took about 2 hours but that's only because the installers were kind enough to place it where I wanted which is another 15 feet away. It was installed with a plug. It was then certified by the city in another week. Absolutely no problems with the entire process. Very happy!

Anyone had a Blink install by OnTarget Electric? They are quoting me about $1400 (which means I have to pay the $200 overage). Its a simple install, subpanel is in the garage with available capacity already, charger will be 15 ft away. I am told that they are budgeting something like 15 hours in labor charges because of the time it takes to get the permits. All sounds a little strange to me.

Do I have any options in this case? I realize $200 isnt much to pay, but its the principal of it that bother me. Appreciate any thoughts or details on your installs to understand if this is the norm.

I am in the LA area, SCE service area.

SL with Quick Charge
Ordered May 7
Estimated Delivery September

LomitaLeaf said:
Anyone had a Blink install by OnTarget Electric? They are quoting me about $1400 (which means I have to pay the $200 overage). Its a simple install, subpanel is in the garage with available capacity already, charger will be 15 ft away. I am told that they are budgeting something like 15 hours in labor charges because of the time it takes to get the permits. All sounds a little strange to me.

Do I have any options in this case? I realize $200 isnt much to pay, but its the principal of it that bother me. Appreciate any thoughts or details on your installs to understand if this is the norm.

I am in the LA area, SCE service area.
OnTarget is consistent. I have essentially the same conditions with LADWP service. The cost was the same.

There is no competitive bidding so if you want to be in the EV Project you are stuck. You could try to bargain with OnTarget or, if you think they are out of line, complain to Ecotality.

There has been discussion on the "All Blink installs on hold because of LADWP???" thread (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3750&start=120) regarding Ecotality's new agreement engendered, seemingly, by the rebate offered by the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power. However there are other changes in this agreement as well. Ecotality is requiring that we sign this new agreement.

Is anyone in other places being asked or required to sign a new Ecotality agreement after having been accepted into the Project?

If so, what has been your response?

What was the result?

Thank you.

91040 said:
There has been discussion on the "All Blink installs on hold because of LADWP???" thread (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3750&start=120) regarding Ecotality's new agreement engendered, seemingly, by the rebate offered by the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power. However there are other changes in this agreement as well. Ecotality is requiring that we sign this new agreement.

Is anyone in other places being asked or required to sign a new Ecotality agreement after having been accepted into the Project?

If so, what has been your response?

What was the result?

Thank you.

No changes in Tennessee. They came out and installed a few weeks ago in July, just signed delivery paperwork.

I found out I was number 48 on the list, but they were already installing in the 400's when I got mine. I delayed ordering the LEAF until I had test drove it.

The charger works well. It did 'crash' once while manually interrupting a charge, but a power cycle fixed that issue.

Our Blink was installed yesterday. We don't have our car yet, but it's nice to look at the Blink and think how our transportation will (hopefully) soon be different!

The installer put in an SD card that he said had the latest firmware. He said the SD cards just came in "yesterday" (which would mean Thursday). Can someone tell me how to find out the most recently available firmware version # so I can compare it to what's shown on the device screen?

My Blink is showing firmware ver. L2R.1.6.A, 035A, 1.10. Don't know if that is the latest version, but it's always connected and would have downloaded any update if it was offered. You could always call their support number and find out easily enough. They're very responsive, in my experience.

TT

Just checked my Blink's FW version from the intranet page:

Firmware Version
L2R.1.6A, 035A, 1.2, 1.10 (copy pasted)

Last Network Transmission
5:39 PM AUG 6 2011 [WIFI] (like 10 minutes ago)

I finally had the Blink installed through the EV project last week. It took around 5-6 weeks here in northeast TN. I had to pay ~$500 more than the $1200 allotted, but what choice did I really have? So far so good. I have no issues at all and am pleased to be able to charge the battery in a few hours as acompared to the trickle EVSE which came with the car.

CHM said:
I finally had the Blink installed through the EV project last week. It took around 5-6 weeks here in northeast TN. I had to pay ~$500 more than the $1200 allotted, but what choice did I really have? So far so good. I have no issues at all and am pleased to be able to charge the battery in a few hours as acompared to the trickle EVSE which came with the car.

One choice you did have would have cost a lot less.

http://evseupgrade.com/?2

Much better than a level 1 charger, and almost as good as a hard wired EVSE such as the Blink. The Blink is a great unit though with a lot of useful stats that an intelligent cord wouldn't have. So don't feel too robbed.

JP

Back