Philadelphia and Southeastern PA

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the latest for anyone interested:

I spoke with someone at AeroVironment customer service. They couldn't give me a breakdown of the $6,300 custom installation charge, and recommended that I check with other electricians for a better price. The service rep told me I could buy the charger without installation for $995. He really didn't want to quote me a price given the variables involved, but said that a minimal installation would run somewhere between $800 and $1,300.

I mentioned my dilemma to some friends and talked about maybe going with the 16A charger tps recommended, and one friend asked if it took longer to charge. So I poked around and found this other posting on the Florida group: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=550&p=156503&hilit=16a+30a#p156503 saying that the 2012 LEAF SL only pulls 13.75A (for charging purposes) anyway. So, it seems that the 40A breaker (30A usage) is in anticipation of future LEAF models (or potential upgrades to the existing model).

I did find one breaker in my existing panel that goes to nowhere -- and maybe I could scavenge another one from a dedicated A/C outlet in my dining room that isn't really necessary. Although I've also thought about asking the electrician to put a big switch on the 40A line going to my electric range -- it hardly ever gets used; I'd be more than happy to flip a switch in the basement when I want to use the range vs. charging the car. I'm not sure that "code" would let me do that.

I think I'm now ready to call my local electrician and explore some of the options.

I'm also looking around at some of the other charger options. I found that Eaton makes both a 16A and a 30A level 2 charger. And, I see that Home Depot is selling four different chargers, and has the Leviton for $999.

I'll keep you posted . . .

The 2012 (and 2011) LEAF draw about 16A max from a 240V circuit; it will draw a bit more than 17A from a 208V circuit. The 208V circuits are normally seen in 3 phase commercial enviroments, homes are normally 240V single phase. Bottom line: the 16A Leviton will charge your LEAF at "full" speed. I came to the conclusion that, based on my driving patterns, 16A would probably be all I would ever need for overnight charging as it already charges 3X to 4X as fast as it needs to keep up with my usage (~40 mi/day).

The Leviton seems overpriced compared to the others, but it's built in a very sturdy powder-coated metal case, as opposed to the plastic cases most others use. Another advantage is that one can use 12-2 w/gnd cable for the circuit which is proportionally less expensive since it is so common. Finally, if you move and want to take the Leviton with you, or if sell it, it's one thumbscrew to release it from the bracket and loosen two screws to remove the bracket from the wall. All that stays is the outlet. They seem to have put a lot of thought into the design; it's as if Leviton is already on the second or third generation whereas other manufacturers are still producing first generation units.

It was a very simple installation. No permit or inspection needed. I mounted the Leviton unti while the electrician ran the line and installed the outlet. Maybe an hour of our time. Cost $1K for the Levtion (Amazon), $80 for the mounting bracket, $170 for the electrician's time and materials. What a deal!

It will cost more if you have to trench a new line to your detached garage. Still, 12-2 UF cable is not that expensive, but that might need a permit and inspection. I didn't have to trench, as the garage already had a sub-panel fed from a 60A breaker on the main panel.

If you're in the Philly area I might recommend the electrician I used: Rafferty Electrical 215-675-1551.

I had a quick chat with customer support this morning to see if I'd somehow missed the VIN email, but they said no VIN has been assigned yet. Delivery still showing week of Feb 6. Don't know why they would not know yet, because I'm sure it's on the boat by now if the Feb 6 date is to be believed.

I know I'm in NY, but I like to check in with the threads from neighboring states to see what's up...

I don't have a VIN yet either, and my delivery date says Jan 20. I also checked with CS, and they confirmed I have no VIN, but that with a Jan 20 delivery date, my car is definitely on a ship. They claimed that cars aren't given VINs until unloaded at the dock in the US. Sounds like more BS to me....

I know, my excitement continues to grow as the delivery date gets closer and closer. I'm inclined just to wait, evn though the excitement is making it hard to be patient. Nissan has had a chance over the last year to get their delivery machine smoothed out and well oiled. And this year we aren't dealing with the double whammy of the Japanese diversion and the Tsunami. So I'm not expecting significant delays.

NYLEAF said:
I know I'm in NY, but I like to check in with the threads from neighboring states to see what's up...

I don't have a VIN yet either, and my delivery date says Jan 20. I also checked with CS, and they confirmed I have no VIN, but that with a Jan 20 delivery date, my car is definitely on a ship. They claimed that cars aren't given VINs until unloaded at the dock in the US. Sounds like more BS to me....
I believe that the tier 1 ship trackers confirmed last year that the VIN is in fact assigned at the port of entry. So everything that CS says isn't BS........ Just most of it! :D

If that is true that vin numbers are assigned at the port of entry. Why do I have a vin number already and carwings was opened for me to register? My concern is that my delivery date keeps changing from the week of Feb. 6th, 8th and now 9th. I guess we will know when we finally pick up our Leafs.

NYLEAF said:

See what happens in the next couple days. The Elegant Ace is due to dock at Newark FAPS 1/9/2012. I bet your car is on that ship. Next up is the Utopia Ace, which is currently underway from San Diego to the Panama Canal, scheduled to dock at Newark FAPS 1/15/2012. My guess is that those of us who have early Feb. deliveries have cars on the Utopia Ace.

I got my assessment quote today for AV. The dock is listed as $721.12 and total quote is $2214.13. If you do the subtraction the difference is almost $1500. It seems to me that it would be better hiring a local electrician and buying a GE dock from Home Depot or Lowes. I am waiting for a call back from my electrician. I bet he can do it much less than $1500?

Lancaster Nissan got a demo today. I just so happened to stop by to speak with my salesperson and blue Leaf was there still wrapped up and not inspected. I was not able to drive it until cleanup and inspected. I inquired what port and the salesperson assumed Baltimore since they get their other models from there. I am still on for the week of Feb. 9th. I got my vin and logged on to Carwings, but still need to install the charging station. Less than a month to go! I hope!

Mine started out Month of January, but then switched to Week of Feb 6. Still no VIN. Could this mean my LEAF is lost? The EVSE I installed last month will get lonely with no LEAF to charge.

It is anyone's guess who will get the next Leaf. I still need to decide on charging station. Waiting to hear from my local electrician for a quote. I had another problem, credit rating. Last month I had no problem even was told I had a great rating this month poor risk. Apparently since I did not purchase the Leaf last month when I was told to do financial papers. I was now overdue this month so I became a credit risk. Go figure I did not even take delivery and they are expecting payments. The dealerships' computer sends a notice each month when an account is overdue. Alas, I got a letter. I will be glad with I can just cruise around in my new Leaf.

I stopped by Peruzzi Nissan today on my way home from work. They just got their demo, a white SL. It was sitting in the back because it's low on charge and they're waiting on the electrician to finish up the installation of the chargers. My dashboard has been steady at "Week of February 6" since mid December, about the time I installed the Leveiton EVSE at my house, so I'm getting really excited as estimated delivery time approaches. No VIN yet, but I expect it soon...

The wait is tough. I got my GE charging station delivered today. The electrician comes Monday to see what has to be done. He is anxious to put his first charger in so he can put it on his resume of skills. Only thing I need to get done is to sell my VW Passat before the Leaf arrives.

BobE said:
The wait is tough.
Well, I feel like the hardest part is behind me. I made the reservation in Sept 2010 a couple weeks before they abruptly cut off reservations. I didn't see the first LEAF in-the-flesh until a year ago at the Philadelphia International Auto Show. Then in mid-March, I got my first chance to drive one of the California 562 LEAFs at the DC drive electric event. When I got home, an email was waiting from Hertz that their NYC rental LEAF was ready, so I made a reservation for April 2 and drove it 50 miles! I made another reservation late in July and drove the Hertz LEAF from NYC to my home on the north side of Philly, for a total of 275 miles in 2 days. I drove twice at the Philly drive electric event, but was definitrly less exciting since I already had 325 miles of LEAF driving under my belt. The hardest part of the wait was after Tier 2 and then Tier 3 opened, with no definite date for Tier 4. I had resigned myself to probably taking delivery late April to early May, with possibly another Hertz rental session to check out the LEAF's winter performance and to tide me over. But I was pleasantly surprised when ordering opened on Nov. 30, then when I got "Month of January" followed by "Week of Feb 6th" where it has stayed since then. So I'll get to check out winter performance instead in my own LEAF. For me, the wait has been easier with a good idea of when it will be over. However, if they told me I could drive their demo at Peruzzi for a few minutes, I'd be there tomorrow. The LEAF is just fun to drive!

I agree the Leaf is fun to drive! As you, I reserved in September, 2010 and followed the availability as it advanced through the tiers. I went to the DC and the NYC test drives and felt that I needed more drive time then they gave me. It was a real teaser. I test drove a Volt and one came available for me, but I really enjoyed the Leaf much more. Now the light at the end of the tunnel is finally getting closer.

I stopped back at Peruzzi Nissan this afternoon, the LEAF is now on display right in front. It's beautiful. Unfortunately, they have not had a chance to do the state inspection yet. The conduit is sticking up out of the ground by the parking lot in front of the building with wiring for 2 EVSEs, I bet it will be done this next week. They seem pumped to sell some LEAFs, so people in the Philly area who want to take the LEAF for a test drive have a great option with the Peruzzi demo LEAF, they need to put 5K miles on it, so give them a call!

My local electrician quoted me $1,500 if I would dig the ditch -- and, then, I still need to get a charger as well. Plus, after digging about 4 feet of the ditch, I realized the neighbor kid with a lawn mowing and snow plowing business could use some work! :)

The ditch is dug, and I just hope it doesn't fill up with rainwater before the electrician comes on Wednesday!

I'm going to send some pics to AeroVironment to get a new quote and see how that looks. If it's as reasonable as it should be (with a new electrical box right above the charger in the garage), I'll go with their charger. If not, I'll look elsewhere.

My delivery day changed again. My date went from the week of February 6th, to the 8th, to the 9th and now back to the 6th. All the same week but the day changes. Less than a month to go!

Back