Possible to reprogram torque curve for performance?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flashman

I did not see this posted elsewhere, hope I am not asking this question twice etc...

Is it possible (anyone figured it out) to reprogram the main performance code for the car?
I would be interested in putting the torque back that Nissan took away in 2013 and then some extra. :mrgreen:

To me, reprogramming the torque curve (increasing available KW intelligently vs. RPM\Speed) is akin to putting a Superchip in an ICE car for performance. a driver would only lose range if he\she were to plant the throttle to the floor more often, otherwise have a negligible affect during normal acceleration and driving conditions. Even maybe have an enable disable mode (switch) for modded performance code beyond ECO mode vs. not.

I realize this is likely a pipe-dream question as I would bet Nissan keeps that area of code locked down tightly and protected by encryption to re-flash or load into the cars logic. plus no warranty etc.
But I'd thought I'd ask here anyhow...
Eventually I will own the Leaf and not lease, when that day comes I would be willing to try it... heh

2013 Silver SV.

That would be interesting. I'd be particularly interested in getting rid of the reduced torque from the start in the 2013. After that, I think its running flat out. I would think asking for more power would stress electrical components beyond design. All GM did in the ELR is a software tweak to up the max power, but they think they can charge double price for it.

dm33 said:
That would be interesting. I'd be particularly interested in getting rid of the reduced torque from the start in the 2013. After that, I think its running flat out. I would think asking for more power would stress electrical components beyond design....

Also, sudden max torque from a stop stresses mechanical bits (e.g. CV joints), which may be why they dialed it back a bit.

Nubo said:
dm33 said:
That would be interesting. I'd be particularly interested in getting rid of the reduced torque from the start in the 2013. After that, I think its running flat out. I would think asking for more power would stress electrical components beyond design....

Also, sudden max torque from a stop stresses mechanical bits (e.g. CV joints), which may be why they dialed it back a bit.

The 2013 is a motor redesign that reduced the torque and the 2011-12 is software restricted.

Flashman said:
I did not see this posted elsewhere, hope I am not asking this question twice etc...

Is it possible (anyone figured it out) to reprogram the main performance code for the car?
I would be interested in putting the torque back that Nissan took away in 2013 and then some extra. :mrgreen:

To me, reprogramming the torque curve (increasing available KW intelligently vs. RPM\Speed) is akin to putting a Superchip in an ICE car for performance. a driver would only lose range if he\she were to plant the throttle to the floor more often, otherwise have a negligible affect during normal acceleration and driving conditions. Even maybe have an enable disable mode (switch) for modded performance code beyond ECO mode vs. not.

I realize this is likely a pipe-dream question as I would bet Nissan keeps that area of code locked down tightly and protected by encryption to re-flash or load into the cars logic. plus no warranty etc.
But I'd thought I'd ask here anyhow...
Eventually I will own the Leaf and not lease, when that day comes I would be willing to try it... heh

2013 Silver SV.
Nissan is already offering an upgrade which gives you more performance (at expense of efficiency I'm sure), however, it's expensive, and only a dealer can install it. There is a thread about it on the forums, but I agree, I wish an aftermarket company would come up with such a chip already.

Back