QC charging time and battery degredation

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipcecil

So I found out something disappointing on Saturday. I QC quite a bit since we have access to many QC stations in DFW and we are very spread out, so QC use happens quite a bit. When the car was new, I could easily QC to the 80/90% (where the eVgo/AV units shut off - they say 90%, but its closer to 80%) in 20-30 minutes depending on how low the car was. 30 minutes was usually the max unless I tried to charge to 100%. I noticed lately when I had budgeted 30 minutes for QC on evenings out, I seemed to have to shut down QC before I reached the shutoff, I was just blaming traffic and not thinking about it.

This saturday, I got to the QC station early but barely finished in time. At a battery capacity in the 40's, QC time should have been only ~20 minutes (it would have been 30 if it was really low). It took ~ 40-45 minutes to QC. I knew the internal resistance causes a longer charging time, but this shows ~50% increase in charging time. For QC a 50% increase is a very big difference. Is this truly expected for a degraded battery?

I was at 5 bars battery temp with 68 degrees outside, cold temps could have been an issue, but it wasn't that cold - I wouldn't think something in the 60's would slow QC that much

Pipcecil said:
I was at 5 bars battery temp with 68 degrees outside, cold temps could have been an issue, but it wasn't that cold - I wouldn't think something in the 60's would slow QC that much
No, with five temperature bars is unlikely temperature was much of a factor.
If battery status of charge was in the 40% range, and you only went to around 80% quick charge nominal, 45 minutes does seem like a really long time.
You sure you didn't charge to 100%?
On a 2011 / 2012 LEAF, if the DCQC is told by the LEAF that SOC is >50% (again in DCQC terms, which is different than the LEAF's SOC), then the DCQC will proceed to charge to 100%.
45 minutes sounds more like you were nominally above 50%, and the LEAF charged to 100%.

Back