Randy and Malcolm, The long 111 mile ride home, 1-4-11

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cinmar said:
Although I wanted to keep my tax dollars local, Stockton Nissan was not interested in 1) providing any discounts below MSRP (I ended up getting 5% off), and 2) they were not really knowledgeable/excited about the car.
As I understand it, for new car sales in CA, the sales tax is based on the location in which the car is first registered. From this I assume that the sales tax goes to that jurisdiction regardless of where you buy it.

Cheers, Wayne

Excellent!! This is the type of info that will drive FUD into the background: real-life examples of what the true distance is and for that matter, what distance really MEANS in your day-to-day life. Ask anyone from San Diego if they think driving to Fontana is a 'far' drive. If they say yes, ask them if they realize it can be done in an EV. I'll bet no one believes you!!! But ask them to compare the number of miles between Fontana and San Diego vs the number of miles they actually drive in a day and they'll have no real defense for EV bashing.

Outstanding job!!!

Correct. That was done to prevent one area from cannibalizing the sales of another area due to a lower sales tax rate.

wwhitney said:
As I understand it, for new car sales in CA, the sales tax is based on the location in which the car is first registered. From this I assume that the sales tax goes to that jurisdiction regardless of where you buy it.

That is why I went with Fontana Nissan rather than Mission Hills Nissan which is only 4 miles from my house. Mission showed no interest in or knowledge of the Leaf and appeared as if they could not care less. They seemed to think of and treat me as if I was buying a stripper Versa...

cinmar said:
Although I wanted to keep my tax dollars local, Stockton Nissan was not interested in 1) providing any discounts below MSRP (I ended up getting 5% off), and 2) they were not really knowledgeable/excited about the car.

Jimmydreams said:
Excellent!! This is the type of info that will drive FUD into the background: real-life examples of what the true distance is and for that matter, what distance really MEANS in your day-to-day life. Ask anyone from San Diego if they think driving to Fontana is a 'far' drive. If they say yes, ask them if they realize it can be done in an EV. I'll bet no one believes you!!! But ask them to compare the number of miles between Fontana and San Diego vs the number of miles they actually drive in a day and they'll have no real defense for EV bashing.

Outstanding job!!!

True, also remember these are brand new VERY strong packs driven at the sweet spot speed of 50-55. My friend is a conservative driver and after about 500 miles of driving a demo car his results at 60-65 without climate control are closer to 75-80 which is more realistic.

That was one of my arguments to "convince" Malcolm....The pack will never provide greater range than when new....

That was sure a lot of fun...I'm itching to get data out of Carwings in a day or two. I did get it set up to send the emails when charging started, stopped, and was interrupted....It works well....

Randy

Congrats on the cars.

So you guys were averaging about 55, is that right? Maybe a little less since you mentioned you were driving 51 or so for a while.

Wonder what it would have been at 65 in eco mode, no climate control for the entire trip. I'm sure some more road trips will yield some results.

Enjoy the new ride. Don't spill any electrons on your garage floor...

LakeLeaf said:
Sounds like the Google spreadsheet needs to be changed to 3-D data which the third axis being number of charge cycles.

Its needs one or two more important data points, which dramatcilly affect the battery

ambient tempature - while charging
ambient tempature - during use / discharging

You could charge it in a nice enclosed garage at 40-50 degrees F, but use it outside in 20 or 30 degree weather, which will affect the packs ability to hold the charge. Batteries are a chemical reaction, so tempature is important.

LakeLeaf said:
Sounds like the Google spreadsheet needs to be changed to 3-D data which the third axis being number of charge cycles.
I'd like to see elevation gain/loss included too. What if you have to go over the Grapevine? But then the spreadsheet would get awfully complicated.

johnr said:
I'd like to see elevation gain/loss included too. What if you have to go over the Grapevine? But then the spreadsheet would get awfully complicated.

Hi John -

There are a few other posts with some calculations of energy burn for going up hill. The rough calculation came out to be 1 uphill mile @ ~6% grade = ~3 flat miles.

I'm looking forward to seeing how accurate those calculations are.

Thanks for the report on your trip home. I assume there was only an adult driver in each LEAF. When there are several passengers (additional weight), it would be interesting to see how that affects the driving range.

I appreciate the updates from owners, so when I receive my LEAF (still pending), the collective experience will be great for us who follow.

Cheers.

edatoakrun said:
Malcom,

Thanks for the report. Do I understand correctly, that you got around 110 miles on just the initial full charge, at 50-55 mph, mostly Freeway? I'm calculating alternatives for my 230 mile drive? home from Petaluma.

Thanks, Ed

Randy and I are glad we could be of pioneering assistance to the LEAF family. This is certainly a horse like no other.

So, Ed, yes, we basically got 110 mile of range out of the brand spankin' new battery. For me it was all freeway except about 5 miles (1 at Fontana, 3 or so at Quality, and 1 at home). The range did float up above 110 at the early start of the trip which surprised me a bit. Randy and I tracked very closely with Randy following me for the first half to Quality Nissan in Temecula. He had 5 mi more range than I when we arrived at Quality (the almost exact half way point on our trip) which we attribute to him hiding in my shadow appx 2-3 car lengths behind. We swapped positions leaving Quality and when we split at I-56 he had only 2 miles more range. Like I indicated, we tried the go as slow as we could and it felt very uncomfortable but we did it anyway. Problem was, with so much freeway merging we were the ones impeding things (CVC violation for sure). But still, we only went below 51 when someone in front of us was slower (truck). I pressed it up to the double nickel because it wasn't safe going so slow. Maybe at midnight but not at 1430 when we left Fontana Nissan. Even at 55... well, you know... this is Southern California after all. There were a few times going up the grade headed south on I-15 after leaving Temecula that we were able to trail a big 'ole truck. We loved finding them and trailing them at their slow speeds Randy once remarked, "You can't be blaming us for this one" making reference to those following behind us. We took what we could get not knowing what to expect. Walking was not high on our desire list for the dark, and getting colder, 51 deg F (10.6 deg C) ride home. Heck, I even brought a scarf but fortunately didn't need it. I did wear my spanking new white leather driving gloves (opened the package as I got in the car to leave Fontana).

For a 230 mile drive, you will most likely need to:

1. Drive in eco mode but be careful not to when you need to make quick moves... like when near merging freeways where you need to flow with traffic for safety or at street intersections where you turn and need to change lanes and need some quick acceleration.
2. Leave the climate control off (though it did not appear to load things too much... still, Randy and I left it off)
3. Check ahead with dealers and friends on your route to coordinate charging.
4. Remember, at 240v, you only get 12 mi per hour of charge... that's all. In 1.5 hrs all I got was an 18 mi boost (but of course we did get a very emotionally valuable, 18 mi boost - Thanks again to Mark at Quality Nissan).

My initial plan was with my good friend Leonard in Temecula. He routed a 120v cord out of his garage for me. I was planning on pulling in there for a 6 hr stint at 120v but could have spent the night. Might be a good idea for you to consider. 230 mi. hmmm... now that's a stretch. My guess is you will need two 1.5 hr stints at 240v somewhere and maybe an overnight at someones house at 120v at the half way point (unless you know someone with a 240v EVSE). Randy and I had it easy. You have the challenge. Maybe paying a freight hauler is a better deal since you trip is so long. If you do pull it off yourself my hat is off to you for being so ballsy. While I know this is not a contest of seeing who has the better story, if you drive the whole distance your story will have certainly topped ours.

One more comment. The noise maker for the pedestrians and the blind (VSP). A non issue. Almost to the point that it's too quiet to be of value for the average pedestrian. For the visually impared and blind folks who have learned to use their ears better than those of us who can easily see, it may work fine. Still, very quiet. It has two tones. One a high pitch and one a low, electric motor sound. Actually sounds fine. You will find you will just leave it alone. Turn on the free (for a time) XM radio and it's like driving your old horse 'cept I need to beef up the bass in this baby. I wanna Rock ! The back up tone is much louder but I'm guessing not loud enough to wake the next door neighbors. We'll see.

Malcolm :geek:

sparky said:
Nice story on the local NBC news, guys. Great comments on your part and for once I didn't have to wince at some lame range anxiety or golf cart comment from the news team. I have to admit the red color is pretty nice but, I'm still happy with black and still hope pay a visit to Fontana this week to drive it home (< 60 mi).

Gook luck Sparky. The Fontana folks were great to deal with.

gudy said:
Thanks for the great story :) and it's a pretty cool data point, to know that you can do 110+ at 55mph.

No telling how it will work after a year or so but for now, we are loving it aren't we? You are the primo pioneer Gudy. Thanks for your initial story. We all slurped it up.

cinmar said:
Thanks for sharing! It gives me confidence that we'll make our drive from North Bay Nissan in Petaluma to Stockton this Spring. Depending on which route we take, it's either 92 miles with some hills, or 101 miles on more flat roadways.

Cinmar,

Take the one where you can spend 1 to 1.5 hrs charging at dealer if possible (240v). Lowers the anxiety a bit. If neither path has a dealer, I'd take the flat road. My guess is you will do fine. You may be low but I guess you'll not be walking or needing a tow.

mogur said:
It's 68.9 miles from Fontana Nissan to my house so I should be able to make the whole trip at the speed limit or more...

Easy money Mogur. You can put the climate control on auto, blast the stereo, leave the lights on and bring a few passengers for the party. Heck, you might use eco mode only occasionally just to try it out. Best to start a bit conservative 'till you see the light at the end of the tunnel though. It'll be your first trip but you are driving easy street, for sure.

mogur said:
That is why I went with Fontana Nissan rather than Mission Hills Nissan which is only 4 miles from my house. Mission showed no interest in or knowledge of the Leaf and appeared as if they could not care less. They seemed to think of and treat me as if I was buying a stripper Versa...

cinmar said:

Fontana was early, knowledgable and aggressive in their pricing. They are looking at the longer term. Joanna was all over it. She constantly kept me up to date and communicated often. If I were to buy local (San Diego area), it would be Leon at Mossy Nissan. He too is a great guy. As much as I'd like to give my maintenance business to Fontana it's just not practical. Mossy Nissan in Kearny Mesa in going to be my maintenance dealer.

Back