Sacramento Area Leafs Meeting [Thread Retired]

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To all EV enthusiasts in the Northern California community:

It is with deep sadness that I inform you that I am moving back down to Southern California. As you may know, I’ve been training here at the California ISO in Folsom. Now that I have completed the course to become a NERC certified grid operator, I have been assigned a position at our satellite office near Pasadena. While short term this does affect my ability to be near the EV “Mecca” that is the bay area; it is by no means permanent. Openings at our main facility do happen from time to time, and I intend to return.

Over the last seven months that I have been up here, I have met many wonderful electric vehicle enthusiasts. I’ve developed great friendships with those I had only conversed with online before. The Sacramento meet ups have been a great way to facilitate meeting many of you in person. Northern California’s budding quick charge network has been exciting to use, and I am one of only a few people in the area that have consistently done 300+ miles in a day in a Leaf.

It is my career goal to help link renewable energy to electric vehicles. My time spent as an operator will help me achieve my goals by teaching me the challenges and nuances of operating the power grid with large amounts of renewable energy sources. Ultimately, electric vehicles will be an asset to the grid due to demand response, vehicle to grid, and increasing nighttime load. As adoption picks up in the next few years, electric vehicle charging will be a load too strong to ignore, and I will be right there as an expert in the industry.

I will be at the next San Francisco Bay Leafs meeting on the 9th. I will also be attending the Sacramento meeting in Elk Grove on the 16th. My moving date is not finalized yet, and I will try to attend all events that I can before I have to leave.

Take care,

Jeremy

Jeremy, congratulations for your completion of the ISO certification. The move to Pasadena will be good for your career but difficult for you to attend the SF BayLEAF meetings. If anyone can make the drive, I am sure you can (eventually with more QCs or extended range EV).

You were very instrumental in demonstrating, with persistence, that driving from Folsom to Silicon Valley (or other Bay Area sites) is doable if you wake up early enough on a Saturday morning. Look forward to seeing you on the 9th at our meeting in Cupertino.

Do you need a charge?

linkim said:
Jeremy, congratulations for your completion of the ISO certification. The move to Pasadena will be good for your career but difficult for you to attend the SF BayLEAF meetings. If anyone can make the drive, I am sure you can (eventually with more QCs or extended range EV).

You were very instrumental in demonstrating, with persistence, that driving from Folsom to Silicon Valley (or other Bay Area sites) is doable if you wake up early enough on a Saturday morning. Look forward to seeing you on the 9th at our meeting in Cupertino.
+1 enthusiastically!
You are welcome anytime and feel free to call on us for anything while you're working in Pasadena. And who knows, maybe some of us will make the trip down South again this year.

Congratulations on your new job. We will miss you in Sacramento area, but were happy you are progressing nicely in your work career. I'll miss the farewell meeting on the 16th since I'll be in Las Vegas, but we wish you the best.

Thank you everyone for the kind wishes. I will know the details of when I'll be moving in just a few weeks. HR is a bit behind in my manger's plans.

My hope is that someone can continue setting up the meetings. :)

I've eaten at the Happen Garden many times and I know their best dishes. How do you feel about letting me order for all of us. $15 a person including tip? I'll arrange for Elk Grove Nissan to have their two charging stations (four chargers available) at 11:30AM. I have an Evse upgrade available for anyone that needs it.
Maybe we should all meet up at Elk Grove Nissan so we can give those that need a ride to the restaurant while their Leaf's are charging.
Come hungry. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=51&t=10104#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There are two happy Garden Restaurants in Elk Grove. We will be meeting at 9081 Elk Grove Blvd. Do not go to the one on Grant line Road. There's a large parking lot a few doors down from the restaurant on the same side of the street.

bernie82 said:
I've eaten at the Happen Garden many times and I know their best dishes. How do you feel about letting me order for all of us. $15 a person including tip? I'll arrange for Elk Grove Nissan to have their two charging stations (four chargers available) at 11:30AM. I have an Evse upgrade available for anyone that needs it.
Maybe we should all meet up at Elk Grove Nissan so we can give those that need a ride to the restaurant while their Leaf's are charging.
Come hungry. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=51&t=10104#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There are two happy Garden Restaurants in Elk Grove. We will be meeting at 9081 Elk Grove Blvd. Do not go to the one on Grant line Road. There's a large parking lot a few doors down from the restaurant on the same side of the street.

Thanks Bernie, I've been training down south and haven't had time to look at the forum. I've updated the first post. I also have an EVSE upgrade that I could lend to the cause!

It turns out I won't be in San Francisco after all, so will be able to attend and can shuttle folks from Elk Grove Nissan.

Mark

Elk Grove Kia, 8480 Laguna Grove Drive, very close to Elk Grove Nissan, also has a J1772 charging station, ClipperCreek brand.

Great get-together ! And good food at the Happy Garden.

Only trouble: detlefo was unplugged at the dealership. Anyone else have an issue with that ? He had 23 miles when I dropped him off; he was planning to go 16 miles to downtown and watch a movie before heading home up the hill to Grass Valley. Probably needed to take in more than one movie ... :(

Yes, welcome rmhyman.

Well... it was a good meeting with good food and conversation. I was concerned as Leafer and I drove up to my car with the with the charging plug on the ground the port door and socket cover gaping open seemingly saying "feed me". We turned on the car and my worst fears were realized. 24 miles on the gom. :cry: I know it was plugged in when we left and it must have been unplugged almost immediately as it had only gained one pathetic mile. We did some calculations and figured I could make it to downtown Sac. I decided to get some more charge before proceeding and to discuss what happened with the staff. They were sympathetic but told me that cars get shifted all the time. I indicated that if there is only one light flashing it indicates that there is a very low state of charge and maybe that is not a good candidate for unplugging. Parked in the Downtown Plaza Garage, about 5 stations on the ground floor two were in use. Went for a walk in old town and caught a 5:15 movie (poor selection, but, why should something go right. After the movie around 7PM returned to 11 bars and headed up the hill (I usually like 100% for this trip) Made it to the house with one bar, 4 miles remaining on the gom.

The friendly folks at Nissan did tell me that if this had happened three weeks later I could have used their soon to be installed ChaDeMo charger. One bit of good news to end on.

Thanks to rmhyman for posting all those photos, especially the ones clearly showing me plugged in and proving that I am not losing my mind.

Thanks to all who attended! A fun meetup, and the happy garden had some great food! Sorry to hear of your unplugging, detlefo. Welcome rmhyman, it was great to meet you and I hope your charging situation improves soon!

I have pictures, but the roll needs to be developed first. (Yes, really. :lol:) Hope to send it out to get developed next week along with some others.

Thanks to Guy Hall for the toast at lunch, I hope to be back up in the area soon. I'll continue to try to make an impact in the EV world regardless of my current location. :)

sorry I missed you all last weekend. My family was in Las Vegas on vacation. Hope to see you all for the next Sacramento event on March 2nd. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=11450" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back